Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 268

Thread: 2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

  1. #161
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    1 Not allowed!
    considering their season last year... FMP may be done... they are not on the next gen team anymore... so who knows?

    but let's leave ice dance... why only 2 men.. again... they could have sent a bunch of candidates there... there are many more men like bennet toman for instance who deserve to get out there... and of course, he may be scheduled somewhere else but north american skaters don't have it as easy as europeans when it comes to challengers in terms of distance, jet lag, cost.. etc... so to see home spots unused pisses me off

  2. #162
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7,278

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziotic View Post
    Completely agree!

    People were so worried about pairs for Canada but really with practice and polish there will quite a few teams vying for those spots in Beijing.
    I think Canada will still have a top 8 or top 5 pairs team. MtM and M are solid and who knows how Charlie and Lubov will do as a team and that does not consider the upcoming juniors. No they don't look as strong as when Duhamel and Radford where skating or Sale and Pelletier or Brasseur and Eisler but look solid. Ice dance too - not as strong as Dubreil and Lauzon or Virtue and Moir but they are hovering around the top 5 or 6. The big question mark is the men and ladies but yes I can see potential in the men with Nam and Messing representing the experience and then you have Sadovsky, Nadeau et al and then of course Gogolov. The ladies won't be so bad if Gabby continues to fight back but after her it looks bleak.

  3. #163
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,653
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    possible... and that may be lala but let's not speculate... marjorie was at CQÉ and looked happy and cheery... did not see Zach... there is also Fisher and Malette Paquette who were promising until injuries slowed them down last year... but yeah... even if another team was slotted, why not have a sub? It's in Canada, it's cheap... and it's needed...even with men... for instance, a guy like Joseph may be competing on the JGP but getting him TES minimums early in the season could be useful later on.
    Joseph is doing a JGP a week before ACI. It would be a really bad decision for him to do a CS event in between his two JGP assignments. He can do one later, after the JGP (and before JGPF if he makes it) as the US men often do (Krasnozhon a couple years ago, Tomoki and Camden last year).

  4. #164
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,583

    1 Not allowed!
    I just realized that the North York Summer Skate is this week, and Gabby is scheduled to be there!!!!

  5. #165
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    838

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    with the number of men and dance teams we have, they could have invited 3 at ACI
    Is it possible that there will be 3rd assignation to ACI after North York Summer Skate, as all three skaters who could possible take the spot (Matthew, Roman and Bennet) are going to compete there?

  6. #166
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Joseph is doing a JGP a week before ACI. It would be a really bad decision for him to do a CS event in between his two JGP assignments. He can do one later, after the JGP (and before JGPF if he makes it) as the US men often do (Krasnozhon a couple years ago, Tomoki and Camden last year).
    yup but that is my issue... conrad and jo could have done a late challenger last year.. but they made conrad go to a super late one... at the end of the season... i am saying : give those boys a chance to get their tech minimums BEFORE nationals.. not after... then maybe they can go to 4CC ...

  7. #167
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icetug View Post
    Is it possible that there will be 3rd assignation to ACI after North York Summer Skate, as all three skaters who could possible take the spot (Matthew, Roman and Bennet) are going to compete there?
    i have been following ACI for a few years as i had the chance to go two years in a row... and never did Canada add skaters .... actually, usually it's the opposite.. some skaters end up w/d ...

  8. #168
    GS Supporter Colonel Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,155
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Skate Canada finally remembered to update its events page, now covering the remainder of the JGP and the pre-Grand Prix Challengers. Assorted observations:

    - They finally decided to send out more ladies to Challenger events.
    - Nadine and Francis get the US Classic already! Vote of confidence there.
    - Conversely, Justine and Mark clearly still on SC’s **** list.
    - Marjorie/Zach will be going to Lombardia, along with Laurence and Nikolaj (when was the last time we sent people there?).

  9. #169
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Green View Post
    Skate Canada finally remembered to update its events page, now covering the remainder of the JGP and the pre-Grand Prix Challengers. Assorted observations:

    - They finally decided to send out more ladies to Challenger events.
    - Nadine and Francis get the US Classic already! Vote of confidence there.
    - Conversely, Justine and Mark clearly still on SC’s **** list.
    - Marjorie/Zach will be going to Lombardia, along with Laurence and Nikolaj (when was the last time we sent people there?).
    justine and mark didn't impress at CQÉ
    Lombardia was often at the same time as ACI ... so i guess SC didn't feel the need to send people there before.. but i see what they did now... they split up the dance teams... which i think is smart.

  10. #170
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    one more thought !!! Li/Richmond get a JGP !!! SO happy for them... they did very well at CQÉ.

  11. #171
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    and one very last thought : why is JGP Croatia left blank? Are we not sending anyone there??/ Doesn't make sense.

  12. #172
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    838

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    and one very last thought : why is JGP Croatia left blank? Are we not sending anyone there??/ Doesn't make sense.
    And Stephen got only one JGP spot for now...
    Canada got one spot for men and ladies and 2 spots for pairs and dance in Zagreb. It's the last but one competition so the most promising for JGPF skaters will go, I presume...

  13. #173
    GS Supporter Colonel Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,155
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    and one very last thought : why is JGP Croatia left blank? Are we not sending anyone there??/ Doesn't make sense.
    About half the team for JGP Croatia has already been announced (as I've mentioned in earlier comments) -- Alison, Nadiia & Peter, Emmy & Aissa -- they just haven't updated that section for whatever reason.

    By process of elimination, Croatia must be Stephen's second event.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    justine and mark didn't impress at CQÉ
    They came second, and almost won.

  14. #174
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,653
    Country: Canada

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Green View Post
    About half the team for JGP Croatia has already been announced (as I've mentioned in earlier comments) -- Alison, Nadiia & Peter, Emmy & Aissa -- they just haven't updated that section for whatever reason.

    By process of elimination, Croatia must be Stephen's second event.


    They came second, and almost won.
    I think there's a good chance they'll be at Finlandia. If not, Warsaw has pairs and it's on the SC assignments page.

  15. #175
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Green View Post
    About half the team for JGP Croatia has already been announced (as I've mentioned in earlier comments) -- Alison, Nadiia & Peter, Emmy & Aissa -- they just haven't updated that section for whatever reason.

    By process of elimination, Croatia must be Stephen's second event.


    They came second, and almost won.
    still... they were not very impressive... i mean kim decelles won the ladies and didn't skate a stellar program either. placing doesn't mean anything. Justine and Mark are struggling with throws and SBS. I was at the event hoping for the best from them... but unlike the other teams, there was no energy nor chemistry coming out from them.. just element.. blah... element/..blah... etc... and they've been together longer than a couple of the teams there already.

  16. #176
    GS Supporter SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,653
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    still... they were not very impressive... i mean kim decelles won the ladies and didn't skate a stellar program either. placing doesn't mean anything. Justine and Mark are struggling with throws and SBS. I was at the event hoping for the best from them... but unlike the other teams, there was no energy nor chemistry coming out from them.. just element.. blah... element/..blah... etc... and they've been together longer than a couple of the teams there already.
    Just because you didn't like them, doesn't mean they don't deserve a CS event. They clearly do.

  17. #177
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Just because you didn't like them, doesn't mean they don't deserve a CS event. They clearly do.
    i know and i have no problem with them getting assignments... I was answering the colonel with the "they almost won" statement... well.. that means nothing if the competition wasn't well skated in the LP... which happened for all but one pair..

  18. #178
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    29

    0 Not allowed!
    I wish Justine and Mark would get the jumps and throws, just like some junior pairs I wish to see some solid 2A’s. Why send them on a JGP without it...

  19. #179
    Observer 4everchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    15,712

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I wish Justine and Mark would get the jumps and throws, just like some junior pairs I wish to see some solid 2A’s. Why send them on a JGP without it...
    they are not juniors.... they are seniors

  20. #180
    GS Supporter Colonel Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,155
    Country: Canada

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Balloon View Post
    I wish Justine and Mark would get the jumps and throws, just like some junior pairs I wish to see some solid 2A’s. Why send them on a JGP without it...
    Their jumps at Championnats weren't all that bad, on the whole. For the 3Ts, they got one set successfully, the other with a slight hand down; the 3S, obviously, there was Justine's pop.

    The throws are more of a work in progress, though it should be noted that the throw 3Lo is a new element this season.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •