Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

lzxnl

Final Flight
Did this get posted? The ballet choreographer who created the Notte Stellata tribute was at ACI and interviewed by Japan Times...
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...d240e28e63e877e4842bf5e3083d3b3c#.XYcKNGZS-_j

I think they're running a little scared - the injury risk in the 4A and quints is REALLY scary.

Not going to lie...I'm not going to mind one bit if we cap the jumps at 4A. I think we're getting close to the boundary of what we can safely train. If you allow a 5S or 5T, consistency means you have to allow a 5Lo, 5F, 5Lz, heck even 5A, and someone is bound to attempt one of these if they're scored highly enough. People are injured on quads; let's keep it at quads for now, until coaches find ways to train quads more safely.

yude

Record Breaker
So...this is not only for Yuzuru but for all Japanese skaters, Akihisa Nagashima became the president of JSF today. And I have a question for you guys, is it common for your federation that a politician who has no history of being an athlete becomes a president? (Honestly, I don't expect anything from him, because he said the fans were their first priority and it disappointed me very much. They should think about their skaters first IMO.)

https://twitter.com/nagashima21/status/1176021016230842368

kiches

Final Flight
So...this is not only for Yuzuru but for all Japanese skaters, Akihisa Nagashima became the president of JSF today. And I have a question for you guys, is it common for your federation that a politician who has no history of being an athlete becomes a president? (Honestly, I don't expect anything from him, because he said the fans were their first priority and it disappointed me very much. They should think about their skaters first IMO.)

I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but I actually think in the US it's rare that you have politicians in sport federation roles to begin with, let alone someone without any past ties to the sport. Sounds like nepotism to me, and yes, the federation should be prioritizing their skaters. Sounds terribly misguided.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I'm not sure if that's ever happened here in the US, but I can't imagine it would be a popular decision if it did. I think the reverse is more likely: an athlete with no political experience becoming president of the country. :laugh:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Well, if he wants to know what most Japanese fans' first priority is? - that Yuzuru Hanyu is happy, healthy and doing well. If he's got any nous, he'll learn fast enough :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CevqxxBEHs&feature=youtu.be On Ice Persepectives has posted ACI day 2 practice video. Yuzu and the guys look so gorgeous! -But especially Yuzu.
The quality of this video is phenomenal!

Oh wow.... that is a KEEPER...... :luv17: :luv17: :luv17:

Nachi

On the Ice

I think it's a bit "more common" that athletes become politicians. Never heard of it the other way around.

yude

Record Breaker
I thank you all who kindly replied to my question :) Good to know that the case is not very common in other countries, too. Former president, Seiko Hashimoto, I don't think she did well as a president of JSF for many reasons but she had great records as an athlete at least. But she is also a politician who has connection with Nagashima, so that is the main reason he was chosen I guess. Personally I don't like the situation the politics is involved in the sport this evidently, but there isn't anything we can do.

I hope Yuzuru and all Japanese skaters (including speed skaters) will be treated properly as they deserve, that is all I can say.

LadyLou

Rinkside
After watching Hanyu's FS at ACI, I had a thought: in addition to looking very dramatic, the ending pose for Origin might also have been chosen to be close to the ice. At the end of the free, he stayed sitting/kneeling for more than 15 seconds. That's a long time, but it's still less noticeable than collapsing from standing like he did several years ago, which, while occurring after the program ends, may still make an impression on judges. This is also the program that was created for the first season after the ISU shortened the men's FS, making it, especially with the choreography and jump content he hopes to include, very physically demanding. Thoughts?

sorry for replying this late, I just thought this was an interesting take.
I don't think using that knelt position is planned to subtly give him some "recovery time". IMO ending pose is just related to the meaning of the program and, as you said, to the extre dramatic effect it achieves (compared to the effect of similar arms move but while standing).
It also kind of mirrors the starting pose too, giving some sort of...circularity to the program, with some symbolism too (he starts offering his back and looking down, ends facing judges looking up and so on...there's a bit of similar symbolism in Otonal too)
I remember a comment from Kurt Browning (he was talking about Javier's opening pose in one of his programs, maybe the Elvis one) about how hard it is to start a program from crouching position, just like Yuzuru does in Origin. So if Yuzu chose to complicate things for himself with his difficult opening pose, I don't see why he would have simplified things for himself with the ending pose :biggrin: So IMO it's really just about the visual impact :)
(though maybe it comes in handy for a quick ankle check when he's skating on half an ankle like in Rostelecom last season or in Saitama):slink:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

ankifeather

Final Flight
Wow junior skaters all goin like Yuzu Senpai notice me lmao

Yes the JGP has so many Yuzu 'tributes' this year, from costume to music to copying his competition habits. Whilst Yuzu is paying tribute to his own idols, he is getting tributes himself lol

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, was there a new tribute from juniors? I missed that. Any links please?

I'm not sue if the links are up but a couple of the junior mens' freeskates in Croatia were pretty blatant fanboying (and that's NOT including Shun :luv17: who's taking R&J to the final)

yude

Record Breaker