Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I've never been to a figure skating event live before...how soon do tickets generally sell out for competitions? I'd assume you have to book world and Olympic tickets a year+ in advance, but what about GP assignments and Senior B's?

Deends on where they are and who's going to be there. Yuzu is the biggest drawcard in the skating world (there is a reason why Montreal Worlds put him instead of the current WCs on their advertising when also releasing the sky-high prices they hope to get). NHK is always a battle royal even without him, with him it's going to be Roman Colusseum style (buying tickets for the Japanese ones is ridiculously difficult for foreigners anyway, from what I've read) and if the TBA does turn out to be Takahashi, bloodbath will be a mild term for what happens... Skate Canada may be easier but still probable sell out (as you say, Autumn Classic sold out on the possibility he would be there)

ankifeather

Final Flight
I know the grand prix assignments have been announced already, but do we know if Yuzu is doing any Senior B's beforehand-please please please Autumn Classic... I MIGHT MAYBE be able to afford to go to that since I'm in the US. Skate Canada is too close to the west coast :(

ETA: Autumn Classic is sold out, anyway... probably lots of people figured there's a good chance of him being there.
I've never been to a figure skating event live before...how soon do tickets generally sell out for competitions? I'd assume you have to book world and Olympic tickets a year+ in advance, but what about GP assignments and Senior B's?

If you want to see Yuzu up close, you pretty much have to "bet" on which stops he will attend, because tickets go on sale before his assignments are announced, and lots of Hanyu fans grab the best seats of the likely stops. ACI tends to be sold out before announcement because its cheap, the seats are close, so people are wiling to bear the risk. If you are fine with seeing him further away, then buying on the first few days of the GP assignment announcements should still get you seats, just not very good ones. Normally all events seats go on sale first, and they will reserve some seats for the single events tickets a few months later (but only bad seats are left). But if it is NHK or Japanese nationals...it is time to find a Japanese friend or proxy otherwise you ain't going to get a ticket.

GPF, World - you have to get tickets for good seats the moment sales open too, despite you don't know if Yuzu will go. This year it is very expensive to bet on GPF and Worlds due to the ticket prices reaching thousands (although this is thanks to Hanyu fans themselves :drama:), but people still do it (the good seats are already gone). To be honest, lots of Hanyu fans have there fair share of lost money betting on the wrong competitions.

Sometimes I have to envy the fans of other less popular skaters who don't have these problems...I mean look at IDF.. you can get single events for just EURO 19 for good seats !!! That is a price we will never enjoy for seeing Yuzu at GPs. If I live in France I might go IDF just for fun, unfortunately I don't live in France. And Stars on Ice is so cheap everywhere too, but as a foreigner, you have to pay much more than the original price to go FaOI in Japan on the second hand market. The only one downside to Yuzu being so popular is...your wallet keeps crying :sad21:,and not just from tickets, but also from the 100+ Yuzu merchandise that comes out each year.

Talking about merchandise, new Xylitol clear files and Yuzu magnets are on their way ;).

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Last year Autumn Classic released more tickets single day tickets (all days were available) close to the event despite saying the were sold out. That's how I went last year (not specifically for Yuzu, but it was very cool to see him live and so close), and they might do that again. But that was around a week beforehand, so it only really helps people who live close - which I assume was the idea, to allow more local fans to be able to attend.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Last year Autumn Classic released more tickets single day tickets (all days were available) close to the event despite saying the were sold out. That's how I went last year (not specifically for Yuzu, but it was very cool to see him live and so close), and they might do that again. But that was around a week beforehand, so it only really helps people who live close - which I assume was the idea, to allow more local fans to be able to attend.

So the message is, don't give up yet :biggrin:

pianistliz

On the Ice
Thanks for the info, everyone! Worst-case scenario for this year, I think I've decided to get tickets in the fall to men's free and gala for US Nationals, which is only 3 hours away (and it would be AMAZING to see Nathan Chen and Jason Brown and Brian Orser in-person, though I'd trade it all for just seeing Yuzu). But if Autumn Classic single tickets free up in late August/early September, I'm telling my husband, you're taking time off work, we're watching men's free at ACI instead!!! We don't even have to spend money to stay the whole weekend. Shoot, I'd settle for a practice session. I just want to see him on the ice at least once in my life.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info, everyone! Worst-case scenario for this year, I think I've decided to get tickets in the fall to men's free and gala for US Nationals, which is only 3 hours away (and it would be AMAZING to see Nathan Chen and Jason Brown and Brian Orser in-person, though I'd trade it all for just seeing Yuzu). But if Autumn Classic single tickets free up in late August/early September, I'm telling my husband, you're taking time off work, we're watching men's free at ACI instead!!! We don't even have to spend money to stay the whole weekend. Shoot, I'd settle for a practice session. I just want to see him on the ice at least once in my life.

Practice sessions can be very worthwhile.
In competition, you see Yuzu for about 10 minutes total.
But in a practice session, it can be up to 45 minutes of skating. :thumbsup:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Practice sessions can be very worthwhile.
In competition, you see Yuzu for about 10 minutes total.
But in a practice session, it can be up to 45 minutes of skating. :thumbsup:

And Yuzuru can create magic even then - blurry and amateur as they are, the fancams of his Skate Canada rehearsal (2017?) of Notte Stellata, I would have loved to be there. Even the other skaters practising stopped to just stare and share the moment.

pianistliz

On the Ice
My husband may not be able to get off work in September, but I just made an agreement with two of my sisters (casual figure skating fans but they'll be easy to convert to hard-core fans) to get tickets and go together if any open up. We already have passports and flexible work schedules so we could just make a road trip out of it if the opportunity opens up. Please please please please ACI, release enough tickets and let us get some!!!

yude

Record Breaker
The training camp for team Japan was open for the press today, and we are having tons of information right now. But Yuzuru's information is none (as expected) :laugh:

Yuzuru: I've been doing fine.

:biggrin:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ah here comes Yuzuru magnets! And Lotte as usual produces some of the best Yuzu photos ( except that one time horror with the yellow frill onesie for one of the ads..)

You had to remind me, I've spent all this time trying to forget its existence (the WORST thing our handsome Ice Price has ever been put into bar none...)

ankifeather

Final Flight
The Japanese have the right idea for the drought.... maybe we all need to visit Japanese bookshops (even vicariously) to get us through the long dry spell...

https://twitter.com/peridot_16132/status/1150774558854545409

Wow indeed.

The Sydney Kinokuniya bookshop has a dedicated rack full of Yuzu books and magazines too. Just two days ago I visited again to soften my drought by buying the new "Yuzu'll be Back" photobook....except they didn't stock it, so I asked the counter and the man was like "Ah Yuzuru! people before you had also been asking about the photobook, but the publisher is some company that won't ship to Australia apparently so they can't order it" and I was like :( but the point is 'people had been asking about the photobook'. Even in Sydney Yuzu is in high demand :thumbsup: In fact I noticed they stock more copies of Yuzu books than other Japanese books too.

Talking about Sydney...in a million years chance w are finally hosting a major skating competition for the first time, even if 4CC. Will Yuzu in the slightest chance come though ( I really hope...)?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Sydney Kinokuniya bookshop has a dedicated rack full of Yuzu books and magazines too. Just two days ago I visited again to soften my drought by buying the new "Yuzu'll be Back" photobook....except they didn't stock it, so I asked the counter and the man was like "Ah Yuzuru! people before you had also been asking about the photobook, but the publisher is some company that won't ship to Australia apparently so they can't order it" and I was like :( but the point is 'people had been asking about the photobook'. Even in Sydney Yuzu is in high demand :thumbsup: In fact I noticed they stock more copies of Yuzu books than other Japanese books too.

Hanyuconomy even across the seas.... :laugh: I must check out their website. their postage and handling is expensive, but probably less so than trying to get it from Japan :luv17:

Talking about Sydney...in a million years chance w are finally hosting a major skating competition for the first time, even if 4CC. Will Yuzu in the slightest chance come though ( I really hope...)?

We can hope and pray, as I am sure the site's accountants are already doing....

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I want to go to the GP Final so badly, but the ticket prices are horrendous :sad4: