Hersh Cohen Article (unfavorable) | Golden Skate

Hersh Cohen Article (unfavorable)

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Whoah...Robin seems hurt =(

I hope she finds a new student soon...someone who will commit to what she believes works...

Why doesn't Emily work with her?

mzheng

Record Breaker
Thanks. MN.
I read it. Sounds too harsh from a reporter though. But basically all the things were disscussed through out diff boards.

Casper

Rinkside
I hope she finds a new student soon...someone who will commit to what she believes works...

I thought Robin was working with a few junior skaters. I know she is pictured with one at the USFSA website.

I would assume that if the parting between Sarah and Robin was as tension filled as people have claimed, Emily would not be too eager to go that route.

ETA: I found the picture I was thinking of...I think this young lady actually competes at the novice level.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/events/200405/uschamps/backstage/wagnerkitsell.jpg

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
This article seems to expose just what the split was about...Wagner wanting Cohen to push further but resistance coming from her and her wanting to do her own thing, so she couldn't take it anymore and left.

ETA: I think this quote is very telling:

The skater was convinced landing one more triple jump would have given her the world title over Japan's Shizuka Arakawa. The coach tried without success to convince Cohen it wasn't a matter of jumps, that Arakawa's performance had been superior in several areas.

If she really thought this...wow, how conceited...

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Musically daring when she burst into the spotlight at the 2000 nationals, Cohen has regressed to the tried-and-true: "The Nutcracker" this year, "Swan Lake" last. Those choices reflect her mother Tatiana's infatuation with all things Russian (Cohen's first name, Sasha, is the Russian diminutive of her given name, Alexandra), an infatuation that played into a decision to uproot the family so the skater could train in Connecticut with Tarasova

Sasha's mother's name is not Tatiana, is it? "Infatuation with all things Russian".......so what if she is? The fact that TT is an excellent coach may have factored in there too. I wonder if mom chose "Swan Lake" and "Nutcracker"?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe Sasha's refusal to "accept physical discomfort on a daily basis" in order to "push herself" is the reason why she only had to drop out of her GP events with a strained back, instead of having to drop out of Nats (and losing a chance to make it to Worlds) with broken vertebrae, as in 2001.

guinevere

Final Flight
Wow, in some ways this underscores things I've felt about Sasha's skating, but....

Bitter much?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
The article seems to echo what has been much said elsewhere: Sasha is an incredibly gifted skater but very difficult to coach. She is used to doing things her way -- not someone else's. She doesn't take direction well.

Her incredible natural ability will get her on the podium, but I question if she has what it takes to make it to the top step in a major event. These days, the field is too deep to make it on talent alone.

That said, what has been written here has to be taken with a grain of salt. Frankly, I 've never liked Robin and her media hogging, overly theatrical displays. Furthermore, Phil Hersh has never been a Sasha supporter.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Sasha's mother's name is not Tatiana, is it? "Infatuation with all things Russian".......so what if she is? The fact that TT is an excellent coach may have factored in there too. I wonder if mom chose "Swan Lake" and "Nutcracker"?
No, it's Galina. Also how, do you get "infatuation with all things Russian from "Cohen's first name, Sasha, is the Russian diminutive of her given name, Alexandra" ??? May be she felt comfortable calling her daughters by the diminuative names such as Sasha and Natasha rather than the more formal Alexandra and Nataly? That's like saying that a mother that calls her son Billy instead of William is infatuated with all things English.

I do, though, agree with some of the points.

BTW, bugmenot.com is awesome. Never heard of it before. Thanks!

Peggy

On the Ice
All I can say is that Robin is not very professional. She shouldn't be bad mouthing Sasha just before Nationals. I'm not surprised Sarah left her without a word. If I was a parent of a skater, I certainly wouldn't be seeking out Robin for a coach.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hersch has had his nose so far up the behind of a, ahem, certain Cohen competitor, for sooooo long, that he has lost all sense of objectivity. He constantly rails against Cohen. It's pathetic. Phil - get a clue - Sasha's just a girl, just a figure skater - it's not the end of the world if she doesn't properly channel her talent the way you previously wanted her to - back when you were part of her rah-rah team. I think it's sad the way a grown man constantly uses his position with a top Chicago newspaper in his attempts to belittle Cohen.

"Cohen could start by getting on the page in Ovid's Metamorphoses that tells the story of Narcissus, who fell in love with himself and began "too late to find out all the long-perplex'd deceit." When Cohen looks at her image, she sees a reflection of only beauty."

I hope when Hersch looks in the mirror he sees what he is...an ***@$&#.

Ugh. He makes me sick.

At least Madame Tarasova has the dignity to keep her thoughts regarding her students that leave to herself.

Last edited:

missflick

On the Ice
MidnightNess said:
mzheng go to www.bugmenot.com c/p the url in it and you get a username/password to type into the website without registering :D

I tried this but I was not working for me. What am I doing wrong? It doesn't allow you to type in your password....only the url.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Peggy said:
All I can say is that Robin is not very professional. She shouldn't be bad mouthing Sasha just before Nationals. I'm not surprised Sarah left her without a word. If I was a parent of a skater, I certainly wouldn't be seeking out Robin for a coach.

ITA. Robin should've kept their dispute to herself. Not to bad mouth your former student. But who knows it gose to both way, may be she feel hurt by Sasha leaving her just by a phone call?

But what about Frank, he diddn't bad mouth MK when she left him, it was 10 years relationship. he diddn't bad mouth Tim when Tim left him, it was Tim himself reveal the bit truth afterwards.

IMO, both skater and coach should keep their mouth shout when they split, don't laundry your dirties in public. It is very unprofesional.

But, again, if no one talks we fans have nothing to disscusion at all. lol

Here is an article of coach changing. Every thing leads to Kween.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2121-2005Jan11.html

mzheng

Record Breaker
missflick said:
I tried this but I was not working for me. What am I doing wrong? It doesn't allow you to type in your password....only the url.

You have to open two windows.
1.Click that article link, bring you to the newspaper's register page.
2. Open another window to BugMeNot.com
3. Grap the URL in 1. and paste it into the 2. hit return you got the email address and password.
4. back to 1. window, type in the email address and password.

you are in for a treat. hope this helps.

:)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Peggy said:

I did not read any bad mouthing. Robin sounded like she was stating her feelings about the situation. I did not perceive anything negative or bitter.

Sarah left without a word to Robin? I have never heard that before.

missflick

On the Ice
mzheng said:
You have to open two windows.
1.Click that article link, bring you to the newspaper's register page.
2. Open another window to BugMeNot.com
3. Grap the URL in 1. and paste it into the 2. hit return you got the email address and password.
4. back to 1. window, type in the email address and password.

you are in for a treat. hope this helps.

:)

Still didn't work for me.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well maybe the "obesession with all things Russian" can be attributed to the fact that Sasha is (gasp!) half Russian and speaks the language with her mother. Why shouldn't Sasha be proud and interested in her heritage? The judges certainly embrace the Russian style of skating.

As for Sasha not wanting to change, there were many people who felt that Robin made a mockery of the beautiful Swan Lake program choreographed by TT. I personally am not impressed with Robin's choreography. It's not as if Sarah was a really artistic skater.

Having seen Sasha's Nutcracker performance, I thought the program was lovely and Sasha's skating skills have improved significantly. Like everyone else, I too think Sasha's skating got softer so obviously Sasha was working with Robin on something to further her skating.