Nathan Chen at the espys awards! | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen at the espys awards!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agreed, I don’t see Nathan nominated (and I would fall down in front of my computer if a figure skater in a non Oly year was nominated for anything).

But was Nathan actually at the ESPYs? Plenty of athletes go who weren’t nominated:agree:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Its pretty sad that he wasnt even nominated....when you look at all the bizarre catagories and people who won, it pretty much throws credibility out the window for the show.....

frida80

Record Breaker
Its pretty sad that he wasnt even nominated....when you look at all the bizarre catagories and people who won, it pretty much throws credibility out the window for the show.....

Skating isn’t popular in the US outside of the Olympics. It’s sad, but it will take more than just Nathan to revive interest in the sport.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the ESPYs were just a recap of who won what, no one would watch. Particularly for a show based in the US for a network whose majority of viewers couldn’t identify Nathan Chen with a photo in front of them.

I’m just glad Kawhi bearing the Sixers didn’t win its category :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The ESPYs (like many sports awards shows) are fuelled by popularity. Ohashi winning two categories? Williams and Federer winning best tennis players this year? Those are 3 of my fave athletes (especially Serena), but come on. I don't think skating is popular enough in the States to have Chen be nominated nor does Chen have the social backing to pressure the ESPYs to nominate him.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's where we come in! :yes: Who do I write to?

Hah I'm not sure... I've never been so exceedingly invested in an athlete to actually advocate on behalf of them to a sports awards, but perhaps there's some super dedicated Nathan fan(s) out there who's willing to put in the time and effort to get a campaign going! :) And even if there isn't, I suppose he will just have to settle for winning World championships, I guess. :biggrin: