Underappreciated programs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Underappreciated programs

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Right from the first time I saw that at the Ondrej Nepela trophy, I loved that program. So original and clever, and they always look great!

And although their 'Vincent' program from last season is not my personal favourite, it was shamefully passed over in favour of other less-deserving free dances. Such a masterpiece as that deserved second place after the French.

Yay! Glad to hear I’m not the only one. :cheer:

I’m a Vincent FanGirl too though. ;)

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Medvedeva's original FS for the olympic season that they ditched after Ondrej Nepala could have been AMAZING.
I think most everything Nathan Chen does is under appreciated artistically, specifically Nemesis and Land of all.
Osmond's black swan was bashed a looooot last season, but I really liked it.
Kolyada's carmen, if only he could've skated it clean!
I rather like Zhou's most recent FS (not sure of the music name)
Asada's Madame Butterfly in Boston:love:
Throwing in an older one here, but I loooove Alexei Yagudin's gladiator.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Akiko Suzuki - Kill Bill/Once Upon a Time in Mexico
She said she enjoyed performing it, the audience loved it, but the judges didn't give good PCS.

This is actually more due to the unfortunate circumstance he skated under, when he had serious issues with injury and never able to perform as he would have wished, Denis Ten's SP from his last season to Tu Sei was such a beautiful, emotional program, had all the ingredients to become another masterpiece for him.
Yesterday (his first memorial day) I was rewatching many of his programs in his honour, this thought just hit me hard. :sad21:

Giu

On the Ice
Country
Italy
This is actually more due to the unfortunate circumstance he skated under, when he had serious issues with injury and never able to perform as he would have wished, Denis Ten's SP from his last season to Tu Sei was such a beautiful, emotional program, had all the ingredients to become another masterpiece for him.
Yesterday (his first memorial day) I was rewatching many of his programs in his honour, this thought just hit me hard. :sad21:
“Tu sei” is a real masterpiece by one of the last artists of this sport, it’s a pity that he wasn’t able to skate it clean.

ruga

Final Flight
She would have won Olympics with that program (especially with that layout)
If clean, yes. But as I understood, 1/6 layout didn't really work for her. The program was good though. Especially Einaudi piece that they used.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
thirded on Wakaba's SP. I thought it was sooooo good, so modern and different from everything else and I love how much she seems to love performing it? The step sequence at the end is my fave <3

i was also one of the few who loved her dress :biggrin:

labgoat

Female thinker deep in various thoughts
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oksana Baiul 1993 Worlds SP Barcelona Nights - my favorite of all she has done.
https://youtu.be/9PQBBXDId-g

I wish I could find the CBC coverage of this program where Barb Underhill & Paul Martini fall hard for Oksana. The camera angles are also much better to see the choreography.

chloepoco

Medalist
I think most of Takahiko Kozuka’s programs were under appreciated. I loved his smooth skating; subtle yet effective.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

One of the most memorable and strongest swan programs of the past decade, and a well earned WC and OG's bronze as a result. In addition to her Olympic kiss&cry and World Championship realizing moments, the pose and the audience reaction at the 3:40 mark, will forever be edged in my memory.

https://youtu.be/Ie64odJw_A0?t=212

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Dance teams should be taking a look at THIS program, to see see an absolutely charming example of "musical (theater) dance":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT8Oh-MJj3E

Yes, yes, everyone always thinks of Riverdance when they think of Bourne and Kraatz, and much as I love it, I love this High Society program more.

In fact, most of Bourne and Kraatz's entire career could be listed in this thread and be entirely appropos.

Lambari

Final Flight
Yuzuru's Étude in D-sharp minor by Scriabin (2011-2012 SP) Passionate and musical step sequence, amazing spins, difficult transitions flowing naturally, first time he added a quad to the short, introducing the first backcounter 3A at 16 years old. What's not to love? Feels like a turbulent wave as he described at the time.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Sale and Pelletier's Orchid. It was an amazing program that never got properly off the ground. I wish they had managed it to its full potential, but as a program I thought it was great. Actually I think quite a few of Sale and Pelletier's programs are under-appreciated because of the Olympics controversy and because of Love Story which was not to my mind their greatest program. Some of their shorts were superb. Also have a look at their Who Wants to Live Forever Program. It was very different from anything else they did.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim's Giselle and Die Fledermaus. Unfortunately she kever skated either of them cleanly (she only did Giselle once), but I really think they show a different side of her that I really like

For me, it's Giselle and Arirang. Thought they were some of her best programs, and easily better than her 2014 programs.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Medvedeva's original FS for the olympic season that they ditched after Ondrej Nepala could have been AMAZING.
I think most everything Nathan Chen does is under appreciated artistically, specifically Nemesis and Land of all.
Kolyada's carmen, if only he could've skated it clean!
I rather like Zhou's most recent FS (not sure of the music name)
Asada's Madame Butterfly in Boston:love:
Throwing in an older one here, but I loooove Alexei Yagudin's gladiator.

He did actually at Worlds (just a stepout on second 4T). His Carmen must have made some impact - look who is on the cover of German Pirouette:

http://pirouette-online.de/