Portland rips off fans!! | Golden Skate

Portland rips off fans!!

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
Okay, some of the bad news from Portland:

Yesterday morning, and again today, we were not let in/kicked out of the arena for warm-ups. They have decided to close those to spectators! For at least the past 2 years we have been allowed to attend warm-ups, so this was a shock.

The Rose Garden arena people are catching all the flack of course, and they keep pointing at USFSA, but the one USFSA person we found said it was 'Portland' which I guess means the organizing committee. Big bummer, and kind of shady, considering we buy tix so far in advance and rightfully expected a particular product.

They must be trying to save money on arena expenses, I suppose. Less people to handle the facililty when closed.... I don't know. Not a great way to treat fans, I think.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I stayed through the whole thing... I was sitting with Melissa Gregory's mom and grandparents.

They never checked anyway... you could probably have stayed

graceness

Rinkside
??

Guess I'm confused as to what you mean by "warmups?" When I hear that phrase, I think of the groups that take the ice just prior to their performance. It wouldn't be possible to bar spectators from that, would it, since they'd be clearing out the arena after each group performs. So, nah, you can't mean that!

And since practices have been made available to those with all event tickets, you must not be referring to those either!

So, enlighten me about what it is you mean by "warmups?" :--)

Also, though I know you're frustrated about something, it's kinda shaky ground, IMO, to cry "not fair" just cause you got to do something the last two years. Besides, when you buy "all event" tickets, isn't it accompanied by a description of exactly what that means you can attend? If "warmups" (whatever that means!) aren't on there, doesn't sound as though your complaint has much standing. I don't mean that to be unsympathetic at all!

As for me, on another note, I was just given great tickets to the women's FS on Saturday. Given!!! As a Portlander and long-time Michelle fan, I'm ecstatic!!!

Yippee!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they're warm-ups a couple of hours before the actual competition... they're 10 mins long (or there abouts) it's just one last practice thing, I guess.

Besides, when you buy "all event" tickets, isn't it accompanied by a description of exactly what that means you can attend?
this WASN'T something that was stated would be closed though until yesterday... and they allowed it prior to yesterday (though from where I was they allowed it yesterday while I was there)

Last edited:

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
graceness said:
Guess I'm confused as to what you mean by "warmups?" When I hear that phrase, I think of the groups that take the ice just prior to their performance. It wouldn't be possible to bar spectators from that, would it, since they'd be clearing out the arena after each group performs. So, nah, you can't mean that!

And since practices have been made available to those with all event tickets, you must not be referring to those either!

So, enlighten me about what it is you mean by "warmups?" :--)

Also, though I know you're frustrated about something, it's kinda shaky ground, IMO, to cry "not fair" just cause you got to do something the last two years. Besides, when you buy "all event" tickets, isn't it accompanied by a description of exactly what that means you can attend? If "warmups" (whatever that means!) aren't on there, doesn't sound as though your complaint has much standing. I don't mean that to be unsympathetic at all!

As for me, on another note, I was just given great tickets to the women's FS on Saturday. Given!!! As a Portlander and long-time Michelle fan, I'm ecstatic!!!

Yippee!!!

You're making a whole lot of assumptions, since you don't know what you're talking about. The Portland organizing committee is the one on shaky ground (and they've realized it). I'm sorry if you took offense because you're from Portland, but there it is.

Warmups are official scheduled skate time, separate from practices, and separate from events. You can look at the schedules posted at Portland2005.com. Warmups occur the day of the event. In practices, they play each persons music; warmups they don't. All-Event included these. This is a pretty major change in policy, that was NOT announced, despite your insistence, based on a total lack of evidence, that it must have been.

In any event, due to a lot of complaints, they have realized their mistake, and warmups are reportedly open today.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
like I said, even if they aren't get there and the ticket people will probablylet you in... then just sit with some skating parents... that's what I've done all week :laugh: