Underrated choreographers | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Underrated choreographers

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And who is missing? Nichol, Dean, Zhulin, Marie France & Patch, Rohene Ward, Shpilband...

Anyone want to argue for them?

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And who is missing? Nichol, Dean, Zhulin, Marie France & Patch, Rohene Ward, Shpilband...

Anyone want to argue for them?

That's why I haven't posted: the listings seem pretty much "my favorite choreographers", whether underrated or not :biggrin:

Well, I'll vote for Rohene. ;) Most folks think of Jason, of course, but his programs are magic, no matter who he does choreo for. And so to the extent that anyone thinks he's a one skater choreographer (although I can't believe anyone would think that :laugh:), here's the post for him;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
If I was performing a tango, I'd go to Shpilband for the choreography.

Zhulin has the same problem for me that Krylova has: it's like they choreograph for themselves when they were competing, so everything feels just dated. This is less of a problem in the required pattern dances--I do think S/K for instance had the best RD last season--and Krylova did some really nice work with Hawayek and Baker. But for the most part, dated dated dated.

Christopher Dean is in a class by himself and is far too famous for it to be considered underrated by anyone.

Ross74

Medalist
Well, I'll vote for Rohene. ;) Most folks think of Jason, of course, but his programs are magic, no matter who he does choreo for. And so to the extent that anyone thinks he's a one skater choreographer (although I can't believe anyone would think that :laugh:), here's the post for him;)

Since Rohene has been named Choeographer of the Year a couple of times, I assumed he wouldn't be thought of as underrated. :)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Olga Kliushnichenko -> Kolyada and Konstantinova choreographer. Fairly unknown, she has done cool weird programs like that "Nightmare Before Christmas" free skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoZOGJ3kk4
https://youtu.be/Z8lBj4YiHqc?t=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZgKaDMeJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bmjZcyVh4

Peter Tchernyshev -> very popular in Russia, i don't hear much about him outside, Manfred Symphony free program (the 2015-16 version) he did for Kavaguti Smirnov is possibly my favourite program in pairs. The program has so many moments, it doesn't need a throw jump as an highlight, in fact both quads are almost hidden. I like also his works for the Shibutanis and Boikova/Kozlovskii.

Sandra Bezic -> not sure how underrated, i haven't seen many programs done by her in recent years, not sure if she is still full time working, or if she prefers gala programs now.

Among the already mentioned:
Silvia Fontana and John Zimmerman
Adam Solya
Olga Glinka
Lance Vipond

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How about John Kerr? He doesn't seem to have had the same bump in reputation from choreographing J/C's Sounds of Silence program that Charlie White had from last season's Wicked Games.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Olga Kliushnichenko -> Kolyada and Konstantinova choreographer. Fairly unknown, she has done cool weird programs like that "Nightmare Before Christmas" free skate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZoZOGJ3kk4
https://youtu.be/Z8lBj4YiHqc?t=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZgKaDMeJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2bmjZcyVh4

Peter Tchernyshev -> very popular in Russia, i don't hear much about him outside, Manfred Symphony free program (the 2015-16 version) he did for Kavaguti Smirnov is possibly my favourite program in pairs. The program has so many moments, it doesn't need a throw jump as an highlight, in fact both quads are almost hidden. I like also his works for the Shibutanis and Boikova/Kozlovskii.

Sandra Bezic -> not sure how underrated, i haven't seen many programs done by her in recent years, not sure if she is still full time working, or if she prefers gala programs now.

Among the already mentioned:
Silvia Fontana and John Zimmerman
Adam Solya
Olga Glinka
Lance Vipond

The most recent competitive program I know of that Bezic has done was Jeremy Abbott's 2014-15 FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInfJAmdBwc

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I would say the most resent competitive program of her is/was Medvedeva's 2018-19 SP.
Evgenia of course felt not yet ready to skate this program but choreography itself, I dare to say that it was a real gem.

Sandra Bezic also choreographed the programs for All that Skate especially the solos for Yuna :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would say the most resent competitive program of her is/was Medvedeva's 2018-19 SP.
Evgenia of course felt not yet ready to skate this program but choreography itself, I dare to say that it was a real gem.

Like I said in my last post, it was the most recent that I know of, before that she was commentating and not really choreographing much.

That said, I would have loved to see what she could have done for Medvedeva. :biggrin:

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Like I said in my last post, It was the most recent that I know of, before that she was commentating and not really choreographing much.

That said, I would have loved to seeing what she could have done for Medvedeva. :biggrin:
I might have misunderstood your post, but— we have seen it; she did the Orange Colored Sky short from the beginning of the season. That’s what withwings was referring to. (David Wilson was also involved with the choreography. I’m not sure how much of the work was split between them.)

ankifeather

Final Flight
Nanami Abe...with all due respect to Buttle and Shae-Lynn, it was this woman's choreography, especially Romeo and Juliet, that first propelled Yuzu onto the world stage.

But she also had good choreography for Takahashi, and some Japanese men junior now.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I might have misunderstood your post, but— we have seen it; she did the Orange Colored Sky short from the beginning of the season. That’s what withwings was referring to. (David Wilson was also involved with the choreography. I’m not sure how much of the work was split between them.)

No, I misunderstood part of withwings post. I didn't know Medvedeva skated that program at least once. Now I need to go find video. :)

Matilda

Medalist
Pasquale Camerlengo. Examples: Daisuke Takahashi’s Blues for Klook and Akiko Suzuki’s O.

cell

On the Ice
I think the difference really down to more of a difference in choreographic emphasis. Your post above with the moment you liked in Alyona’s program doesn’t really have to do with any specific relation of her movements to her music itself. You like the feeling that’s she able to evoke specifically through "the moves themselves." Programs conceptualized like this have become much more of the norm nowadays. But most older fans seem, to me, to go the other way. They want emphasizing moments to reflect the music itself in some clear way, and for the feeling of the music to dictate the feeling of the skating and choreography. So if the moves that sell the program are also off with the music, then what's the point? And while that does probably reflect the state of skating they grew up with, but not because those programs were necessarily "primitive" in an artistic sense.

I would argue that the latter type of program is the more difficult thing to achieve and execute well from a purely artistic standpoint, and that people tend to underestimate the technical skill and also the athletic capability needed to pull really good programs like that off from a skating standpoint.

:eek:topic: I once bought 100% pure, unsweetened carrot juice, because someone told me it was good, but that other kinds would probably be *too sweet* for me... then I took one sip and I thought I'd burned my mouth off. It was about as fun as licking a leaking battery.

I personally don't see the need (for me at least) to analyze how exactly every single movement would match the musical phrasing... I think that's very mathematical, and some music doesn't lend itself to "clearly matching" movements. I am curious if you think her Adios Nonino program is choreographed, although that one was done by Eteri I think.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Like I said in my last post, It was the most recent that I know of, before that she was commentating and not really choreographing much.

That said, I would have loved to seeing what she could have done for Medvedeva. :biggrin:

I don't think that she's underrated just wanted to add that Sandra Bezic choreographed and prepared alongside David Wilson Javi's whole show Revolution on Ice, to be precise it were two shows, because the November guest skaters were different from the December shows and there were a lot of group numbers and theme performances, so they had to create something similar with different means. And Javi's Prometo!!

And note number two, not that I think he's underrated in general, but I strongly dislike how it's become a trend or whatever to criticise David Wilson and hope against hope that he doesn't choreograph a program for XY or AB or whoever the Twitter favourite is. But I believe that it's only teenage twitter thing. David Wilson has done awesome programs (I'd praise him to high heaven even if he'd just choreographed Guys and Dolls), and of course some not that good ones (looking at you, Peter Gunn) and he can't be everyone's favourite but some people really go over the board in their praying against him.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't think that she's underrated just wanted to add that Sandra Bezic choreographed and prepared alongside David Wilson Javi's whole show Revolution on Ice, to be precise it were two shows, because the November guest skaters were different from the December shows and there were a lot of group numbers and theme performances, so they had to create something similar with different means. And Javi's Prometo!!

And note number two, not that I think he's underrated in general, but I strongly dislike how it's become a trend or whatever to criticise David Wilson and hope against hope that he doesn't choreograph a program for XY or AB or whoever the Twitter favourite is. But I believe that it's only teenage twitter thing. David Wilson has done awesome programs (I'd praise him to high heaven even if he'd just choreographed Guys and Dolls), and of course some not that good ones (looking at you, Peter Gunn) and he can't be everyone's favourite but some people really go over the board in their praying against him.

Well, if one wants to get technical, I don't consider Bezic underrated regardless of anything. She has always been a very well known and acclaimed choreographer for her work in the past, she was the choreographer of Stars on Ice from the start until the early 2000's. She has won many an award for her work with SOI as well as shows with Boitano and Witt in the 80s/90's. But I also would never call her overrated either.