Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Best skater of each quadrennial- 1977 to today

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I thought of Mao but the fact she didnt even medal at the Olympics ruled her out for me. She would need more than 1 world title to overcome that, and she her 2014 world title is her only top 2 finish at worlds or Olympics that quad. And if we go by 4everchan's logic of post Olympic Worlds not being part of a quad, then Mao really is totally out of contention for tops of the 2015-2018 quad now as that rules out even her 2018 world title.

By 4everChan's logic Mao still has one title. 2010 worlds.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Michelle????

Indeed. Where's Michelle Kwan? 5 World Titles and 2 olympic medals (no gold, true, but still 5 (!!!!) World Titles). Much as I love Irina (who also has 2 olympic medals), she has 'only' 2 World Titles (which is a great achievement in itself). And why Sasha and not Arakawa? Some of these choices are really odd in my view.

Gordeeva and Grinkov may have won the olympics in 1994, they were hardly dominant the year before (it's not really a quad due to the changeover to another year for the Winter olympics) as they didn't skate at any ISU events. How about Brasseur and Eisler (World title, world medals and 2 olympic medals)? What about Aljona with Robin? 5 World titles and 2 olympic medals. And stating that she and Bruno dominated between 2014-2018 is also an odd one. They weren't able to skate in 2015, and started to build up in 2016, culminating in their dream season of 2017-2018 when they were the best of all at the GPF and the Olympics (and at worlds 2018 they repeated this).

What are Domina and Shabalin doing in here? Granted, there's a world title and an olympic medal. And leaving out Virtue and Moir altogether is another odd one. And I'm not even a fan. To me V/M and D/W both dominated between 2010-2014. A wonderful rivalry.

sjchilly

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just on the Men!

en:

1985-1988: Brian Orser only beat Brian Boitano in 1987 because Boitano went for the Quad
1989-1992: Victor Petrenko - Kurt Browning won everthing except an Olympic Medal
1993-1994: Elvis Stojko - I'd call it a tie with Eldredge for the Sexennial
1995-1998: Todd Eldredge
1999-2002: Alexei Yagudin
2003-2006: Evgeny Plushenko
2007-2010: Brian Joubert - Lambiel gets the win here.
2011-2014: Yuzuru Hanyu - Patrick Chan!
2015-2018: Yuzuru Hanyu

rinkside_user

On the Ice
the worlds each year are not to be counted in the following season... that's not what I said... you are misunderstanding... what I said is that WORLDS right after Olympics are NOT a factor in the Olympic cycle... though they are not representative of a quad per se.

as I have explained, an Olympic CYCLE ends with the Olympics... no matter where the usual season normally ends for an athlete...

That's a super convoluted and distorted logic in my opinion. I see where you are coming from but those arguments are very shaky and subjective. Sorry to disappoint you but the OLYMPIC CYCLE that contains the OLYMPICS... ends with Worlds, or nowadays WTT.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's a super convoluted and distorted logic in my opinion. I see where you are coming from but those arguments are very shaky and subjective. Sorry to disappoint you but the OLYMPIC CYCLE that contains the OLYMPICS... ends with Worlds, or nowadays WTT.

It does seem a bit sophistic, not to say specious, to argue that one out of every fourth season has to be artificially jiggled and broken up from the rest, and therefore all official bodies, press and information sources, fans and... well, pretty much everyone, who all put it in the quad for which it is part of the season, is wrong...

(Mind you, if there was a way to squish Kurt into the list, I'd happily consider brushing up on my own specious sophistry, the medal ceremony yesterday prompted me to search out more of his work.... :love: someone needs to do a favourite men list like the current ladies one so I can put him on it)

ejnsofi

Final Flight
With all respect to Kim Yuna but how can she be dominant in 2011-2014 cycle if he basically missed half of it? If we establish that quad with starts World Championships in one Olympic cycle and ends with next Olympic Games for me the dominant lady is Carolina Kostner and I say it as Mao Asada stan.

Caro won medals at Worlds 11', 12' and 13'. Not to mention she was in top3 in every European Championships and every GP she participated in.
Mao was reworking her technique after Vancouver and I wouldn't say that she was dominant lady in 2011-2014.

TA91

Rinkside
Indeed. Where's Michelle Kwan? 5 World Titles and 2 olympic medals (no gold, true, but still 5 (!!!!) World Titles). Much as I love Irina (who also has 2 olympic medals), she has 'only' 2 World Titles (which is a great achievement in itself). And why Sasha and not Arakawa? Some of these choices are really odd in my view.

Michelle definitely needs to be on the list for 95-98 but not 99-02. The former is the era where she was really dominant and at her peak artistically and technically. During the latter, while she may have one those two World golds, I think it's also important to note that Irina beat her in every match up they had other than those two events from 2000-2002 which is why I consider Slutskaya the most dominant that era.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
With all respect to Kim Yuna but how can she be dominant in 2011-2014 cycle if he basically missed half of it? If we establish that quad with starts World Championships in one Olympic cycle and ends with next Olympic Games for me the dominant lady is Carolina Kostner and I say it as Mao Asada stan.

Caro won medals at Worlds 11', 12' and 13'. Not to mention she was in top3 in every European Championships and every GP she participated in.
Mao was reworking her technique after Vancouver and I wouldn't say that she was dominant lady in 2011-2014.

While Yuna missed a large part of it, IIRC she never lost to Caro at any of the three big events they faced off at (11 & 13 Worlds, Sochi). Maybe there just wasn't a dominant skater that quad, although I'd pick Yuna if there was one, if only because it was an upset any time she didn't win so her status of being the favorite should mean something.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Michelle definitely needs to be on the list for 95-98 but not 99-02. The former is the era where she was really dominant and at her peak artistically and technically. During the latter, while she may have one those two World golds, I think it's also important to note that Irina beat her in every match up they had other than those two events from 2000-2002 which is why I consider Slutskaya the most dominant that era.

I agree. Tara did nothing notable until 1997, so she had no big senior achievements for half the quad. The following quad was really close between Michelle and Irina, and going into SLC they were legitimately co-favorites for gold. I'd maybe lean towards Kwan just because Irina didn't win a world title until after SLC, but if I could choose both I would.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While Yuna missed a large part of it, IIRC she never lost to Caro at any of the three big events they faced off at (11 & 13 Worlds, Sochi). Maybe there just wasn't a dominant skater that quad, although I'd pick Yuna if there was one, if only because it was an upset any time she didn't win so her status of being the favorite should mean something.

Ah the endless joys of splitting definitions of meaning... as thrashed out on so many threads, what exactly does dominant mean? Best and biggest medal haul? Most loved MVP? Best or most loved and rewatched/revisited performances? The ones history will remember with starriest virtual eyes?

Any list of 'best' that doesn't include Yuna doesn't make a lot of sense, after all...

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who was the best skater of each quadrennial from 1977 to today.

Ladies:

1977-1980: Anette Poetzsch
1981-1984: Katarina Witt
1985-1988: Katarina Witt
1989-1992: Midori Ito
1993-1994: Kristi Yamaguchi
1995-1998: Tara Lipinski
1999-2002: Irina Slutskaya
2003-2006: Sasha Cohen
2007-2010: Yu Na Kim
2011-2014: Yu Na Kim
2015-2018: Evgenia Medvedeva

Kristi Yamaguchi competed professionally from 1992-93 and beyond. She was not Olympic eligible from 1993 to 1994.

Also, if you're looking at international medals, Kristi beats Midori for the 1989-1992 years. Midori had a 1st place, a 2nd and a 4th place at Worlds in those years, and a silver medal at the 1992 Olympics. Whereas Kristi had a fourth place and two gold medals at World Championships, and a gold medal at the Olympics.

tokoyami

On the Ice
I know nothing of the figure skating world from 06-2011 except that's Daisuke's era I'm pretty sure? I don't know anything about the men's field about that time so was Joubert really that dominant? Genuine question

Also why do we not talk about Oksana Baiul? How many championships did she win? Wasn't she super dominant as well?

if you ask me
2010/11 - Patrick Chan
2011/12 - Patrick Chan
2012/13 - Patrick Chan
2013/14 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2014/15 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2015/16 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2016/17 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2017/18 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2018/19 - Yuzuru Hanyu/Nate (this one is tough to call considering Yuzu's very dominant early season and Nate's very dominant late season)

For me, majority takes all so I'm okay with giving the 2010-14 quad to Patrick :) but let's not pretend he won all those world champs and gpfs without controversies

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know nothing of the figure skating world from 06-2011 except that's Daisuke's era I'm pretty sure? I don't know anything about the men's field about that time so was Joubert really that dominant? Genuine question

Also why do we not talk about Oksana Baiul? How many championships did she win? Wasn't she super dominant as well?

if you ask me
2010/11 - Patrick Chan
2011/12 - Patrick Chan
2012/13 - Patrick Chan
2013/14 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2014/15 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2015/16 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2016/17 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2017/18 - Yuzuru Hanyu
2018/19 - Yuzuru Hanyu/Nate (this one is tough to call considering Yuzu's very dominant early season and Nate's very dominant late season)

For me, majority takes all so I'm okay with giving the 2010-14 quad to Patrick :) but let's not pretend he won all those world champs and gpfs without controversies
just like we won't pretend that Hanyu won his olympic medals with 2 great skates (in each program) ... also, why do you give Hanyu as the top skater of the years when Javi beat him at words after winning europeans.... ????

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Michelle beat Irina at every Worlds from 1999-2001, winning 2 with 7-triple free skates. Irina won Worlds in 2002 to Michelle’s silver and of course, neither won Olympic gold (Irina getting silver to Michelle’s bronze). I don’t think Irina’s GP medals make her dominant. Michelle showed her mettle by coming through for the big prize, Worlds, in 2000 and 2001. There is no doubt that these 2 together dominated the quad, but I give the edge to Michelle.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I think 2018/19 season goes to Nathan - he won all his competitions including GPF and Worlds.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think Sasha dominated the 2003-2006 quad. She never won Worlds, unlike Slutskaya and Arakawa during this period. No one, really, dominated the quad. The WCs were won by a different skater every year: Michelle, Shizuka,Irina, Kimmie Meissner.
Irina had a long period of dominance in 2005, winning everything, as I recall. Shizuka won gold at Worlds and the Olympics. So I think these two were the most dominant.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
John Curry won Worlds, the Olympics and Europeans in ‘76 and iirc was the first skater to win all three in a season. Excluding the ‘74 Worlds (where he was 7th) he was no lower than 4th in any major competition. I feel like he’s a good shout for 1973-76.

tokoyami

On the Ice
just like we won't pretend that Hanyu won his olympic medals with 2 great skates (in each program) ... also, why do you give Hanyu as the top skater of the years when Javi beat him at words after winning europeans.... ????

because i feel like it :devil:

it's not as much a stretch to say hanyu had two great programs at each olympic showing than saying chan didnt have his fair share of controversial wins. im not saying one is absolute truth, but one is definitely closer than the other.

other than that, yeah i thought about it and nathan deserves the 18/19 season the kid was/is dominant what can i say