Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Utana Yoshida & Shingo Nishiyama

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Utana certainly likes to provide the content.:)

I also recommend the SponichiTokyo photo IG account. I am sad to say I don’t know what Sponichi is (a newspaper perhaps?) but their photographer *loves* Utashin and had nine photos from their official RD practice. Like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Qzfjepmu9/

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Utana certainly likes to provide the content.:)

I also recommend the SponichiTokyo photo IG account. I am sad to say I don’t know what Sponichi is (a newspaper perhaps?) but their photographer *loves* Utashin and had nine photos from their official RD practice. Like this one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9Qzfjepmu9/

Cool! thanks! Yes, Sponichi is a newspaper specializing in sports!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Utana and Shingo skate 8th in the RD:hap85:

Also, please look at Shingo’s IG account and his IG stories. There is video of Baby Shingo skating singles and it is :love:

khtmyzr

Final Flight
No random fall in the RD 👍 I was hoping for a SB but oh well.
Really hope they’ll do well and enjoy skating the FD!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Utana and Shingo were lowballed on scores:devil:

I’m happy with their performance no matter what, though:clap:

And yes Shingo stayed upright:thumbsup:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I think Utana and Shingo have a good chance of reaching top 10, if they skate their free as well as they did at the Youth Olympics. I'll be cheering them on live, because it's on Saturday! :hap10:

MGstyle

Medalist
Utana and Shingo skate 8th in the RD:hap85:

Also, please look at Shingo’s IG account and his IG stories. There is video of Baby Shingo skating singles and it is :love:

I was really curious because Ted always raves about Shingo being also an excellent singles skater. Wow, indeed there are a couple of clips where he nails triples side by side with his singles training mates!!! :agree:

MGstyle

Medalist
Utashin finished 8th in the Free, which is an awesome achievement, especially considering their relative inexperience together, Shingo in particular who only started dancing last year. They are quickly being noticed by the world of ice dancing fans everywhere, and understandably so! An exciting future awaits them for sure! :hap10:

khtmyzr

Final Flight
I was just thinking before the competition that it’d be funny if they ended up being 12th (6+6 because they’ve always been 6th) and they did... :laugh:

They seemed content with the score. I think it was a great first year for them - glad to be able to follow them in their first year together ☺️

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Eight in the FD, and their usual joy and passion in every step:hap85:

What I am most thrilled about is that every time they skate, they make new fans and bring new energy. I loved both these programs and will be sorry that they are done.

But I can’t wait until next year:cheer:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shingo, Utana and the Utashin account have been active on IG and I am here for it.

Shingo posted in English and said: "Now I can say for sure that I’m glad I decide to start ice dance one year ago. I’m going to work harder to get even better for next season and future��"

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9iPjzCpANt/

we are too, Shingo:thumbsup:

Also loving the pics from the banquet, where Shingo does his best "Miami Vice", rocking the T shirt and suit jacket look. Which of course he is too young to remember how cool that was in the 80s;)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9dvSLMp4Hz/

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese Skating Federation has named its "Outstanding Athletes Awards" for 2019, and Utana and Shingo are among the winners:cheer:

https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1242750192316604416

The other awarded skaters are Yuzu, Rika, and Yuma, so they are in pretty good company. I take this as a sign that the Fed knows what they have in Utashin. :yes:

Rashela

On the Ice
Is there any info if they are planning to stay juniors for the next season or move to seniors?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there any info if they are planning to stay juniors for the next season or move to seniors?

This is a good question and I do not know the answer for certain. Sadly I do not read Japanese and Google translate only takes you so far :(

My guess would be that they remain junior next year and try to improve on their excellent debut season against other juniors, and turn senior in the Oly year in order to try to make the Oly team. I know that Shingo has said his Junior Olympics experience made him want to go for the senior version :thumbsup:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
An interview with Shingo posted on Waseda University Sports site on Aug. 21 (interviewed on July 15): He was admitted to the e-learning courses in the School of Human Sciences at Waseda University this spring.
http://wasedasports.com/feature/20200821_131539/ Translation:

It is Important to be Organized

--Firstly, I would like to ask you about things other than skating. We are going through a difficult time because of the coronavirus. Now that you are in college, is there any change in your mindset?
S: I’ve started attending online lectures and I realized I’m a college student.

--How did you spend your days during self-isolation?
S: I worked out at home. I followed the training instructions streamed by the Japan Skating Federation.

--What are the reasons why you chose Waseda University aside from their figure skating club?
S: First of all, I’m taking e-learning courses in human sciences at Waseda University. Since I train in Canada it’s impossible for me to attend college classes, I chose Waseda’s e-school among other options.

--What are you studying in the human sciences?
S: I am not that far yet. I’m taking basic core courses.

--Is there any lecture you enjoy?
S: Ummm, [laughter] every lecture is hard and I don’t feel it is entertaining [laughter].

--Is it difficult to juggle study and skating?
S: I have to turn in a lot of papers, so I have a feeling it’s going to be tough, but I will try doing things in an organized way. I think it’s important to make a plan and follow it so that I can balance study and skating.

--Currently where do you reside, Canada or Japan?
S: Because of the coronavirus I’m in Japan at the moment.

--Did you settle into the Canadian life?
S: As you would expect, I’ve lived there for four years so I’ve grown comfortable with the environment.

--Was there a time when you had a hard time communicating with others?
S: Around last year, the third year, I got used to English, and I speak English to a degree where I don't have any trouble in my daily life. But when I have a deep conversation with my coach, I have a hard time because I still need to learn more difficult words. I’m trying to remember these words spoken during practice.

--Besides communication, what else is hard for you?
S: I live alone, and I think it’s the same regardless of whether I live in Canada or Japan, cooking, laundry and cleaning are tough chores. It’s hard because I have to do these between practice times. Right now I’m in Japan so I once again appreciate my parents.

--About cooking, can you tell us some dishes in your repertoire?
S: I only have a few. Curry and rice, for example. Also, my parents send me ready-to-eat foods in sealed pouches and also seasonings, so I use them to cook ma po tofu and things like that.

--So your meals are basically the same as when you are in Japan.
S: I try my best to be that way. I try to cook dishes Japanese style using the ingredients available at local stores.

--Do you manage nutrition by yourself?
S: I used to do it earlier, but since last year I’ve been receiving support from nutritionists and get their advice.

--What do you think are better there than in Japan?
S: In fact I feel the skating environment is better in Canada. I think rink situations and coaching techniques are excellent.

.... to be continued