2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I said this in the other thread, but I am so proud of both Chris and Alexa. As I've said here more than once, my heart goes out to Chris, so strongly, over the past 18 months. But the way they are handling this decision is so impressive, all around. I have every hope and expectation that he'll be fine ... especially if he can find a clunker Camaro to use as tinkering therapy. Or any old clunker! But of course, I'm so glad he's planning to get professional help. Depression is very very hard. But it's so impressive how open and supportive Alexa and Chris are of each other. What a gift.

Where can we speculate about who might be a partner for Alexa? Here, that's where!

I'm thinking of Marissa Castelli admitting, after her partnership with Mervin ended, that she never completely adjusted to the height difference. Simon was a good 6 inches taller than Mervin, and she'd skated with Simon for 8 years.

So that makes me skeptical about a possible team-up with Nate Bartholomay. But he's the obvious well-qualified person to be in the running. And everyone's different. Alexa could rise to the challenge if anyone could.

Does anyone know whether TJ Nyman has finalized plans with a partnership?

And like others, I would dream of Danny O'Shea ... what a team they'd be. But I also believe that Danny's not leaving Tarah.
I fear that a skating re lationship with Nate B might be more because of desperation and lack of viable partners that a true fit. It could work and sometimes things click but undoubtedly there is a lot of pressure to find Alexa a partner quickly. It is against odds but often drive and passion can help makethigns happenwhen logically they shouldn't.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I fear that a skating re lationship with Nate B might be more because of desperation and lack of viable partners that a true fit. It could work and sometimes things click but undoubtedly there is a lot of pressure to find Alexa a partner quickly. It is against odds but often drive and passion can help makethigns happenwhen logically they shouldn't.

Yes, unfortunately with this timing, Alexa's options are very limited. I don't think Nate is exactly the caliber of partner I would want for Alexa, but she needs someone who is already has some international experience as a "top" pairs skater if she aims to go to Beijing in 2022. It's probably too short of a timeframe to partner up with someone else that's more inexperienced. Plus, I don't know if Alexa would have the patience in that kind of matchup to "train" a new partner.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I want to say that I'm really happy that we have this place where we can speculate and feel safe to express all of our opinions, thoughts and feelings.

I hope that Alexa can find a new partner -- but I hope also that her availability does not cause the end of a separate partnership.

Yeah, thank you for saying that. Just thinking about the pain it would cause makes me sick. I think of Caitlin Yankowskas when it happened to her; and to then-16-year-old Ashley Cain when Josh Reagan broke up with her to train (and never even compete) with Yankowskas. There's always an OTOH for me, though .... if it were to work out in favor of the desires of all parties, unbeknownst to us and the rest of the world and, maybe, even to themselves at the time.

In the realm of speculation about Bartholomay: For many months now (and most recently this week), I have noticed recurring indications on Instagram stories (often not his own) that he has been training periodically with one particular "partner." (Not Alexa, obviously.) Not clear whether this training has been in preparation for a permanent partnership with the person, plus it is possible that I have misinterpreted what I have seen. Just sayin' that I do not feel sure that Bartholomay still is "looking" or available.

I'd seen your post about Nate working with possible pairs girls(s). So yeah, we don't know for sure that he's available.

Sad to notice that 2022 OWG will have a maximum of 19 pairs (instead of the previous maximum of 20 at 2018 OWG).

And a maximum of only 23 dance couples (instead of the previous maximum of 24).

(30 men and 30 ladies in 2022, the same as before.)​

Well, crum. Presumably they have a reason, but it seems illogical and worse, inevitably it will be very sad for a dance couple and a pair.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anyone would enjoy a good story about trying for years to find "the right" fit in a partner, this is a fun read. Max is quoted as saying what a headache he was for his coaches, etc. He doesn't spare details about the hard work involved in making a harmonious pair out of two very experienced partners as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Trankov

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not like a lot of you. I don't dream of pairing Alexa with Danny O'Shea. I don't think it would be right to to throw Tarah under the bus just to help Alexa continue on as a pair skater.That's most likely not going to happen anyway, thank goodness.

Nate B. is a good skater and his triples were more consistent than Chris's. But when Nate was searching for a partner after Felicia Zhang retired, I remember that he was reluctant to leave Florida and Jim Peterson as a coach. Luckily Deanna came along. I wonder if Nate would be willing to relocate now? Granted this is all speculation, but it does give us lots to wonder about until (or if) Alexa finds a new partner.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yes, unfortunately with this timing, Alexa's options are very limited. I don't think Nate is exactly the caliber of partner I would want for Alexa, but she needs someone who is already has some international experience as a "top" pairs skater if she aims to go to Beijing in 2022. It's probably too short of a timeframe to partner up with someone else that's more inexperienced. Plus, I don't know if Alexa would have the patience in that kind of matchup to "train" a new partner.

I hear you. But i really hate it when people try to "sell something" to the media which is really jut being forced. Like skaters and programs which really mean nothing to them or actors and movies which they really did just for the money. I know there was some talk about some 19 year old junior but I think that is a super bad idea unless the kid and Alexa is skating until 2026. Alexa could soon be moving into the Zoe Jones category. But a 19 year old and a 28 year old there i a huge difference. It would be different if it were 28 and say 37. It is obvious Alexa wants to skate! I mean for her to continue on when her prince charming and partner for life is ending the skating partnership says a lot.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not like a lot of you. I don't dream of pairing Alexa with Danny O'Shea. I don't think it would be right to to throw Tarah under the bus just to help Alexa continue on as a pair skater.That's most likely not going to happen anyway, thank goodness.

Nate B. is a good skater and his triples were more consistent than Chris's. But when Nate was searching for a partner after Felicia Zhang retired, I remember that he was reluctant to leave Florida and Jim Peterson as a coach. Luckily Deanna came along. I wonder if Nate would be willing to relocate now? Granted this is all speculation, but it does give us lots to wonder about until (or if) Alexa finds a new partner.

As points of interest: I noted in post #296 this thread that Nate has said it's not that easy to figure out who's going to change location to make a new pair. And ice coverage made a very eloquent statement about not wanting to break up current partnerships, in #300. Which I agree with, as I said above in #303. Ice Coverage also noted that Nate may also not be available.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know there was some talk about some 19 year old junior but I think that is a super bad idea unless the kid and Alexa is skating until 2026. Alexa could soon be moving into the Zoe Jones category. But a 19 year old and a 28 year old there i a huge difference. It would be different if it were 28 and say 37. .

I was the one who mentioned Ian Meyh, and then I watched his skating from Nationals 2019, and saw he's only 19. In post #296 this thread, I also expressed concern about a 19-year-old's muscle development needing more time than a couple of years. I'm sure the coaches would have strong guidelines about how training goes step by step, in order to be sure the woman in a pair is safe, and he's far below Alexa's skating level. Possibly I didn't say it clearly enough, but I'm not hoping for that match-up. Thanks for saying this clearly.

This all really makes clear how challenging it is for Alexa to find a partner without breaking up another high-level team.

oly2018

Final Flight
Truly, it seems like the only real option would be to break up a current team. I agree that it is not likely to happen, but it takes some time to gel as a pair team and if 2022 is the goal, Alexa needs to start with a high quality and experienced pair partner. What I will say is Alexa was always the more impressive part of the pair, so she may have an easier time than most with gelling with a new partner as far as skills. I never got any on ice chemistry from her and Chris, so that part doesn't really worry me.

The 2022 goal is what makes this seem like a really tough situation.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Realistically, she needs someone who is 1. A US Citizen 2. Tall, if she wants to continue to do super twists (Chris is 6'2 and she is 5'2") 3. With recent International pairs experience on a high level 4. Somewhere within a few years of her age (not 19) 5. Probably some other stuff I can't think of. I'd really hate to see an existing team broken up for an outside shot at an Olympic berth when she will almost certainly retire after 2022. Again the only person I can think of is Max Settledge and I think he's more done than Chris is.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This all really makes clear how challenging it is for Alexa to find a partner without breaking up another high-level team.

In my opinion..even the high level US teams are not near her level.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Because of the Knierims' jump problems, and other factors, I think other top USA teams are on the level of Alexa. At the last world championships they attended the Knierims couldn't even make the top 10. And last year Ashley C-G and Tim Leduc were 9th.
I agree that Alexa and Chris had great potential and commentators have stated that for almost five years, but that potential was never fully reached. Perhaps Alexa and her new partner (whoever he may be) will progress to be a top pair together. We shall see.

noskates

Record Breaker
Have to agree with SkaterBoy. I don't see Alexa breaking up an established team unless one of the partners was ready to retire anyway. And if she does......my opinion of her will change drastically. I think it's going to be very difficult for her to find a partner quite frankly.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually think Alexa and Tim wouldn't be a bad matchup :slink:

I think (but I'm not sure) this is a similar situation to Denney/Frasier, where his partner's parents are pretty much financing the partnership. Tough for him to leave that and walk into a gig where money will always be an issue.

Besides, he needs to hit the weights. Chris is a strong solid guy. Lifts, twists, throws... Chris has a lot of power that he could control very well, and those moves were the hallmark of their skating. True, she shines, but she wouldn't be able to do that without his strength. I don't think Tim is nearly as strong.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Because of the Knierims' jump problems, and other factors, I think other top USA teams are on the level of Alexa. At the last world championships they attended the Knierims couldn't even make the top 10. And last year Ashley C-G and Tim Leduc were 9th.
I agree that Alexa and Chris had great potential and commentators have stated that for almost five years, but that potential was never fully reached. Perhaps Alexa and her new partner (whoever he may be) will progress to be a top pair together. We shall see.

Tara said, and I quote “the other pairs are good quality. The Knierims are world quality.” She’s the stronger of the two in my opinion. We can agree to disagree certainly. It is definitely not uncommon for people to disagree with me.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
originally Posted by Spiralgraph

I agree with your opinions. And with your statements which are not opinions but facts! :points: