How to make skating friends? | Golden Skate

How to make skating friends?

Rdmsktr183739

Spectator
Hi! Sorry if this is kind of a weird question but how does one go about making skating friends?

I’d love to have a friend or two who I can skate and practice with, but my current friends either have 0 interest in skating or the ones that do live halfway across the country. I’m homeschooled so meeting skaters through school isn’t an option.

I guess I could go up to skaters at the rink but most of the regulars are either little kids or already have giant friend groups and it just feels kinda awkward approaching them. Also what would I say? I’ve had small talk with some skaters, like “I like your spins” but once that’s said and done they get right back to practicing (understandably) so it’s kinda hard to get to know people.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am not sure about your level, or how long you have been at your current rink, but I take it that you are fairly new to the rink you are currently going to?
It just take a little time to sort of merge into the community - I was in a similar situation once, probably it took me longer than average people because I am a staunch introvert and taking an initiative to approach someone is pretty much out of question. But after they see you several times and notice that you come fairly regularly to the rink, many of the regulars start to greet you when they see you, even if it's just a little smile and "Hi!" Take note of these people, and perhaps you can pop a question like "how do you do that?" (on certain technique they demonstrated), then maybe you can throw in "that's kinda like the move "xxxx" (certain well known skater)" - possibly giving a cue to some further chat. It is better not to look "needy", so take it one step at a time, little by little you should be able to mix into the crowd. Good luck and have fun!

Ducky

On the Ice
Ducky's rules for making friends, both in skating and in life in general:
1) Show up. Become a regular. Be early for the session so that you can talk to people before they get on the ice and want to focus. Likewise, stick around after the session and chat then.
2) Seem interested in people. Do your best to remember names or, if you're like me and can't remember someone's name until they tell you for the 100th time, remember facts about that person.
3) Don't be afraid to introduce yourself. If you see someone who seems to be at your level and they don't seem terribly busy there's nothing wrong with skating up to them and saying "Hi, I'm Rdmsktr183739. I'm kind of new here, what are you working on?" Or heck, even if the other skater isn't at your level but they seem cool just introduce yourself to them.
4) Ask open ended questions. "I like your spins" is a statement. You want engagement. "I like your spins. How do you stay centered like that?" or "Do you compete?" or "Are you planning on testing soon?" If not that then be specific about your compliments. "Wow, your spin was so centered."
5) Show up.

Lastly, don't rush things. It can take time to make inroads in established friend groups but just remember that they might be looking at you and thinking that you're too cool for them.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Group lessons are great for improving your skating and for making friends.

Or if you're more the private lesson type, learn some of your favorite skaters' trademark moves and hope some of your rinkmates are fans. I made most of my friends unintentionally just by shamelessly copying my favorite skaters for my own fun and future competitive advantage. :laugh: Of course, that only works if your favorites have recognizable trademarks.

Or both! Good luck.

VegMom

On the Ice
I really like what Ducky has to say.

Also, I would add for your particular situation: ask the front desk person (or maybe some coaches) 'when do other skaters my age skate the most?' Then try to attend those freestyle sessions. For schooled kids I'm guessing it's going to be early mornings: around 5am-8am. The little kids tend to do afterschool more often: 3pm-6pm.

Alternatively or additionally, you can ask 'when do other homeschoolers skate the most?' Where we are, a lot of the serious skaters and many not-as-serious skaters are homeschooled too, so you could have more in common than just skating. Our rink is trying to funnel the homeschooler skaters to skate at the same sessions mid-morning during school hours so that they all get to know each other and can develop a true community (prior, they were skating whatever time they liked so they were really spread out during school hours with only 3-4 skaters on each freestyle session - nice to have so much space but not good for socializing or developing community).

Then, if your parents allow it, try to become friends on social media after you become friends in real life because it will be easier to get to know each other away from the rink or give you silly things to talk about at the rink. I see the kids and teens at the rink share their social media all the time, and a lot of what they share is skating-related too.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
I agree with the previous posters. Does your rink have an ice show or a LTS competition? Joining a group number or a low-level/just-for-fun competition could be a great way to get to know other skaters!

Rdmsktr183739

Spectator
Thanks so much everyone for all the replies and super helpful advice!! I’ll definitely try these out next time I’m at the rink.

I’m gonna ask my coach about competitions and freestyle sessions next time I see her. I’ve been considering doing group lessons but my rink’s most advanced class (freestyle 4) is stuff I’m already familiar with (I’m working on pre-juvenile MIF and starting doubles). Would it be worth it to take the class anyways just to meet new people?

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Thanks so much everyone for all the replies and super helpful advice!! I’ll definitely try these out next time I’m at the rink.

I’m gonna ask my coach about competitions and freestyle sessions next time I see her. I’ve been considering doing group lessons but my rink’s most advanced class (freestyle 4) is stuff I’m already familiar with (I’m working on pre-juvenile MIF and starting doubles). Would it be worth it to take the class anyways just to meet new people?

Then, looks like most of the skaters there are lower level than you are, that will give you further chance. Go up to other skaters and give them a casual advice, without being condescending or bossy. I always appreciated such friendly inputs (also outside the skating rink, when I was at a gym working out, too) and such an occasion triggered further interactions/friendship to follow.