Tokyo 2020: Way too Hot? | Golden Skate

Tokyo 2020: Way too Hot?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
We're having a record heatwave here in Japan, https://japantoday.com/category/nat...taken-to-hospitals-in-week-in-japan-heat-wave
Even in milder years, the summer weather in the Kanto area where the Olympics will be held is humid and stifling, not to mention the air quality really suffers in the summer as the heat activates harmful chemicals in the air and almost every day in July and August have public warnings about going outdoors.
What's going to be done about this when on top of the usual summer business thousands of tourists may be outside, trying to watch sporting events. I'm really worried. :drama:

Here's an article about the problems with the heat and the Olympics. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-fear-ahead-2020-tokyo-olympics/#.XUwUd-gzaUk
If you're going to see the Olympics in Tokyo next year, please be aware, and bring lots of water, a hat and a wet towel.

Ducky

On the Ice
Considering that everywhere seems to have been having record heatwaves, this is probably our new normal. :-(

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yeeeeah, I know they like having the Olympics in very well-known cities, but they might be better off with Sapporo...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeeeeah, I know they like having the Olympics in very well-known cities, but they might be better off with Sapporo...

I don't think it's so much what they like, it's who bids for it. Los Angeles also bid for these Olympics, but are getting the next ones.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^I see you've mentioned Sapporo here. When I first heard how hot it (usually) is in Tokyo in the summer, my first thought was if they would consider running the marathon in Sapporo. I realize it's hundreds of miles away, but maybe since it would be so much safer for the runners, it would be a better option. It would probably be a logistics nightmare, but oh well -- just a thought!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they can have a summer Olympics in Athens, not known for fresh cooling breezes, temperature is obviously not a consideration ;)

I hope it cools down for the Japanese!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess they train for it. I'd last about 2 blocks and be done! :dbana: :yawn: :bed:

Ducky

On the Ice
It's sort of too late to move the games to a city hundreds of miles away just because it will be cooler. You have to consider whether or not the infrastructure could handle the number of athletes and spectators, whether or not there are enough arenas and stadiums and pools for competition. One of the reasons why Los Angeles' bid was accepted was that they had hosted the games before and would be reusing those stadiums so they wouldn't have to build new ones. More and more countries are realizing that there's no tangible benefit to hosting these sporting events, and the IOC is finally catching up to that fact.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I meant they should move only this one event. I bet they could do it if they wanted to.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I assume all the infrastructures for the Oly have been prepared, or well in the works. The most practical solution will be to hold as many events in the evening, when at least the sun is not glaring down.