Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Gala program recommendations

  1. #1
    Tripping on the Podium StephenGfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    522

    0 Not allowed!

    Gala program recommendations

    Despite being into skating for a few years now I admit I haven't watched many galas and usually skip over skating gala's all together what galas do you guys recommend I should watch as a beginner?

    - No slapstick comedy style galas please they are usually cringey
    - No C/L gala recs, see above.

  2. #2
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    687

    5 Not allowed!
    Any of Mao Asada’s gala programs, specifically So Deep is the Night, Por Una Cabeza, Chopin Ballade, I Vow to Thee My Country.

  3. #3
    On the Ice ruga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    241

    9 Not allowed!
    Yuna Kim 'Someone Like You'
    https://youtu.be/gdLoueZ-SpQ
    And 'Imagine'
    https://youtu.be/Fe9jQgghUYE
    Evgenia Medvedeva 'Kukushka'
    https://youtu.be/G5tq8iJytF8
    And 'Meditation'
    https://youtu.be/YuceVhz8SkE
    Javier Fernandez 'Prometo'
    https://youtu.be/Qt7uyCDYa80
    Papadakis/Cizeron 'Take Me To Church'
    https://youtu.be/SRHxHNK8VOE
    Rika Kihira 'Faded'
    https://youtu.be/huc-e1c_Wb8
    Yuzuru Hanyu 'Notte Stellata'
    https://youtu.be/QF1qmySBeXA
    And 'Requiem Of Heaven And Earth'
    https://youtu.be/3ah6nEMyeBs
    Sui/Han 'Swift Sword'
    https://youtu.be/eXlujQ0Azvg

    These are more recent as I joined the fandom recently as well

  4. #4
    Tripping on the Podium StephenGfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    522

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruga View Post
    Yuna Kim 'Someone Like You'
    https://youtu.be/gdLoueZ-SpQ
    And 'Imagine'
    https://youtu.be/Fe9jQgghUYE
    Evgenia Medvedeva 'Kukushka'
    https://youtu.be/G5tq8iJytF8
    And 'Meditation'
    https://youtu.be/YuceVhz8SkE
    Javier Fernandez 'Prometo'
    https://youtu.be/Qt7uyCDYa80
    Papadakis/Cizeron 'Take Me To Church'
    https://youtu.be/SRHxHNK8VOE
    Rika Kihira 'Faded'
    https://youtu.be/huc-e1c_Wb8
    Yuzuru Hanyu 'Notte Stellata'
    https://youtu.be/QF1qmySBeXA
    And 'Requiem Of Heaven And Earth'
    https://youtu.be/3ah6nEMyeBs
    Sui/Han 'Swift Sword'
    https://youtu.be/eXlujQ0Azvg

    These are more recent as I joined the fandom recently as well


    I have been in the fandom for a year now so i wouldn't say i got into skating recently, but probably recently compared to the older crowd on here haha

  5. #5
    GS Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    496
    Country: United Kingdom

    2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateSkates View Post
    Any of Mao Asada’s gala programs, specifically So Deep is the Night, Por Una Cabeza, Chopin Ballade, I Vow to Thee My Country.
    To add to this, I recommend Swan Lake

    &
    Shoma Uno: Time After Time
    Virtue/Moir: Stay (Rihanna)
    Mai Mihara: Hero
    Peng/Jin: Where is Armo

  6. #6
    On the Ice ruga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    241

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenGfan View Post
    [/B] I have been in the fandom for a year now so i wouldn't say i got into skating recently, but probably recently compared to the older crowd on here haha
    Well, have fun discovering galas! Also, I have completely slept on Alina.
    Legendary tiger ('Afro Blue') performance. Pretty weird but I like it
    https://youtu.be/Uyva23_wyVE
    And 'Survivor'
    https://youtu.be/KlEcC-oDfJ0

    Also, Alexandra Trusova 'Unstoppable'
    https://youtu.be/8qkHa4dDFP4

  7. #7
    Driving Quads, Jumping Quads, Trusova = Quadster! Edwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,347
    Country: Netherlands

    1 Not allowed!
    Tutberidze's 2019 Show of Champions, for the sheer quality, novelty and excitement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUvPBmrpug
    or this one if you don't care for the pre-show warmups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql-5U-AObbM

    If you are solely into Russian skating, it won't get any better than this. This is where the action is, right at the center of todays' figure skating.
    And it offers a unique view into the 'unit' of skaters from one single rink of all ages at the highest level. Invited guests are of high caliber too.

    I watch it often and it is still fresh and entertaining.

    Or any episode of this TV show 'Ice Age, Kids' for the actual performances of the young skaters: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR7...r7CedzMmgLIRyA you probably can do without the judges commenting and stuff, but AFAIK, no performances only cuts have been made public. If you have figure skating children, they'll probably love it.

  8. #8
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    134
    Country: Czech Republic

    4 Not allowed!
    Evgenia Medvedeva - Beautiful mess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F8ruFXcqck
    Javier Fernandez - Danny Boy: https://youtu.be/YAI0pDGEAuo
    I know that when we talk about serious galas and Javi, everyone thinks about Prometo, but Danny Boy is here!! I've made it my mission to promote Danny Boy everywhere, so here is a full playlist of Javi's Danny Boy on YT https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XKZJTrX0JW2YnX

    I also loved Savchenko/Massot's Up all night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V0ENbCwsio
    And Yuka Sato's Karma from Revolution on ice (so technically it's not a gala program but an ice show program but it's amazing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf8Qya7Wtw0

    It's interesting how different are people's tastes, I'm watching galas mainly for funny exhibitions, so Anna/Luca are my favourites (the fight over a blanket? Priceless! )

  9. #9
    Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,028
    Country: Australia

    1 Not allowed!
    All men, I hope the links are right, it's been one of those days...

    Firstly, I don't think no one has already put up Alexei Yagudin's Overcome? - which would be a crime against the skating gods
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GvEMcd9qcs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gMimBlGdPA

    Javier's Prometo, yes, and also his Touch of Evil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMHMLtTUPcU&t=0m38s

    Stephane Lambiel's Improvisation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVonsdbiqQ
    You're Beautiful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITk5XTAnSn0
    and Bring Me To Life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGouF-I6oM

    Jason Brown – the good copy of this appears to have vanished, does anyone know for a link? - but here's a fancam, Can't Touch This
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyIfLB_MpA4

    Shoma Uno's See You Ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsL4D74erwg

    Mikhail Kolyada's Nothing Else Matters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-TkIcmkQc
    (his Baba Yaga is utterly brilliant, but may hit your ukase about funny? I think of it as sort of comic horror and adore it)

    And Yuzuru, of course... his Requiem of Heaven and Earth has already been mentioned (Boston 16 still makes people cry) as well as Notte Stellata. But we finally got a HD version of White Legend on the Yuzu Olympic collection, along with his Olympic Notte Stellata)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erNd2YmSx6g&t=19m26s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erNd2YmSx6g&t=38m30s
    I'm also rather fond of Hare ni nara (with added Parisian Walkways encore in one of his bishonen costumes, the visual kick when he does that is always something else)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRqGb3zH9xU
    And Haru yo Koi (the omission of which would also be a crime against the skating gods)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsClWs4uSM&t=8s

  10. #10
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    2,638

    4 Not allowed!
    Anna Pogorilaya's Rise Like a Phoenix

    The most effective costume change I've ever seen in a program, it was a wow moment.

  11. #11
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    36,038
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Michelle kwan. Fields of Gold.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlUrLf2eYgQ

    Red Violin (Gala pre-version.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruB5GOsB5s

    Sasah Cohen. Hernando's Hideaway.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97wZDM9Th3c

  12. #12
    Bona Fide Member noskates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,070
    Country: United States of America

    4 Not allowed!
    Ohhh Math - my favorite gala of all time. Seeing Michelle skating to that beautiful song and ending with tears in her eyes still does me in. Not too many people had heard of Eva Cassidy at that point in time and from what I understand her parents were in the crowd that night. Truly an iconic program.

  13. #13
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,428
    Country: Australia

    4 Not allowed!
    Can't go past Lambiel's Ne Me Quitte Pas. It's so exquisite the ISU is still using it as an example of perfect skating in its PCS judging training materials almost 10 years later.

  14. #14
    Tripping on the Podium StephenGfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    522

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Tutberidze's 2019 Show of Champions, for the sheer quality, novelty and excitement https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUvPBmrpug
    or this one if you don't care for the pre-show warmups: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql-5U-AObbM

    If you are solely into Russian skating, it won't get any better than this. This is where the action is, right at the center of todays' figure skating.
    And it offers a unique view into the 'unit' of skaters from one single rink of all ages at the highest level. Invited guests are of high caliber too.

    I watch it often and it is still fresh and entertaining.

    Or any episode of this TV show 'Ice Age, Kids' for the actual performances of the young skaters: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR7...r7CedzMmgLIRyA you probably can do without the judges commenting and stuff, but AFAIK, no performances only cuts have been made public. If you have figure skating children, they'll probably love it.


    Thank you for being helpful and giving your suggestion but I don't really like/love any eteri skaters except for alena and anna.s, However, i will check out ice age as it seems interesting.

  15. #15
    Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,028
    Country: Australia

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    Can't go past Lambiel's Ne Me Quitte Pas. It's so exquisite the ISU is still using it as an example of perfect skating in its PCS judging training materials almost 10 years later.
    Oh yes, I should have included that (actually, we could have just made up a list and said "everything by these people!!!" and Stephane is definitely one of them for me )

    And can I make one little ladies' suggestion, even though I'm not really into that discipline? Gracie's Olympic All That Jazz. There's something hauntingly touching in retrospect....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5NGpyVCif8

  16. #16
    Eyes on Fire! Elucidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,097

    2 Not allowed!
    ruga

    I am surprised the guy with such avatar didn't recommend it yet So, I'll fix this for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CfzAH0T3rE
    Alena Kostornaia "Twilight"

    And last but not least
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c2h4BWZO6k
    Anna Scherbakova "Dream Catcher"

  17. #17
    On the Ice rabidline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    357

    2 Not allowed!
    Satoko Miyahara's Concierto de Aranjuez, which is still my absolute favorite program of hers.

    The Medallist on Ice 2017 (JNats Gala) one is just stunning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlIOGPyt5fk&t=274s

    Quote Originally Posted by TallyT View Post
    Gonna correct the typo because it's See You Again, and yeah it's that Charlie Puth/Wiz Khalifa/Fast and Furious song but Shoma did a number of it in:

    - a Disney on Ice show in 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phxMQ2sUem4

    - Worlds 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3up21jRPs

  18. #18
    Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    2,028
    Country: Australia

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidline View Post
    Satoko Miyahara's Concierto de Aranjuez, which is still my absolute favorite program of hers.

    The Medallist on Ice 2017 (JNats Gala) one is just stunning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlIOGPyt5fk&t=274s



    Gonna correct the typo because it's See You Again, and yeah it's that Charlie Puth/Wiz Khalifa/Fast and Furious song but Shoma did a number of it in:

    - a Disney on Ice show in 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phxMQ2sUem4

    - Worlds 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3up21jRPs
    Thanks I did say it was one of those days (you would be astonished at how many ways you can spell Stephane's and Yuzu's names when you are frazzled)

  19. #19
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    26

    2 Not allowed!
    Mao Asada - Sarabande
    https://youtu.be/HbhxrlLBNCQ

    Sui/Han - Run
    https://youtu.be/gwaz9Ww1Heg

    Deniss Vasiljevs - Iron
    https://youtu.be/mhDbfSGcMXs

    Wakaba Higuchi - Byakuyawo
    https://youtu.be/At8L5GGYDA0

    Shoma Uno - This Town
    https://youtu.be/dKhQ1EaZjFA

    ETA:
    Papadakis/Cizeron - Oblivion (this is their RD from this past season, but it looks great under show lights and they changed some things)
    https://youtu.be/UDbY7IXXAGI

    I second Javi’s Prometo!

  20. #20
    On the Ice ruga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    241

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elucidus View Post
    ruga

    I am surprised the guy with such avatar didn't recommend it yet So, I'll fix this for you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CfzAH0T3rE
    Alena Kostornaia "Twilight"
    "
    I thought about suggesting that, because I love Aliona, but I hate 'Twilight' with all my heart.
    I can recommend her 'Adios Nonino'. It's her competitive program, but it's better under show lights. https://youtu.be/buyVYvN0flQ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •