Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: The Tutberidze Effect

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Fitst: I don't care about Eteri's income. She deserves it. I hope she earns lots of money because the figure skaters and their coaches deserve much more! I would like to see high incomes as in other sports!!! I just reacted to Scott's post in wich she really seems like a saint. That's all.

Second: I don't know why you mentioned Plushenko. It seems Plushenko got stuck in the throat of fans of TT. Plushenko didn' steal or win his money he worked hard for it. He was an incredible poor guy, you can't say any other skater who was such poor. There are levels he was at the bottom. He collected bottles with his mother if they wanted to eat for example.

Third: He was very wealthy because of his popularity, he won all the time, because he created many incredible shows. He opened his academy on that level, buildings coaches, etc. He could open because he was wealthy. LOL! His income during 2006-2018 : $ 23,5 millions.
    But now he invests to the academy he has no profit.

Fourth: You forgot to mention his cheapest lessons is 15 000/ months and he gives grants for the talented children and there are talented children who don't pay at all. Aaand because that is a private academy he must pay for everything but Eteri on the contrary receives everything from the club. This is not a good comparison.
    can you point out where in nussnacker's post that said Plushenko didn't earn his money, didn't deserve it, or stole his money? i really don't know why this response was necessary from one sentence mentioning Plushenko was making a lot of money at what he does.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flanker View Post
    It was actually you who said "she is saint", as a joke, I presume, and I said, "she is Cruella de Vil", as a joke as well. You surely don't want to wage war over which exaggeration (of what the other side does or says) for the purpose of fun and joke is more/less serious, do you?
    It seems I lost my sense of humour... But you know, my poor english is not enough to know who is Cruella de Vil. I checked it already. In my country we can watch the movies in hungarian language with not the original voices of the actors. The famous stars have same voices in every movie for years . For example Woody Allen knows that Hungarian actor who gave his voice to him. He praised him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWDPwKEoymo&t=1m

So Cruella de Vil in Hungarian : Szörnyella de Frász what is similar . I can say the translater did a great job!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    can you point out where in nussnacker's post that said Plushenko didn't earn his money, didn't deserve it, or stole his money? i really don't know why this response was necessary from one sentence mentioning Plushenko was making a lot of money at what he does.
    Oh, yes we can argue on everything..why did Scott say that , why did Nusnacker say that, why did I say this? What is the different? There were many questionable things in every post. I don't think I was the Cruella de Vil in this matter. Solely.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, yes we can argue on everything..why did Scott say that , why did Nusnacker say that, why did I say this? What is the different? There were many questionable things in every post. I don't think I was the Cruella de Vil in this matter. Solely.
    my point was there was nothing insulting said towards him, so i'm confused as to why it received such a defensive response.

0 Not allowed!
    Fitst: I don't care about Eteri's income. She deserves it. I hope she earns lots of money because the figure skaters and their coaches deserve much more! I would like to see high incomes as in other sports!!! I just reacted to Scott's post in wich she really seems like a saint. That's all.

Second: I don't know why you mentioned Plushenko. It seems Plushenko got stuck in the throat of fans of TT. Plushenko didn' steal or win his money he worked hard for it. He was an incredible poor guy, you can't say any other skater who was such poor. There are levels he was at the bottom. He collected bottles with his mother if they wanted to eat for example.

Third: He was very wealthy because of his popularity, he won all the time, because he created many incredible shows. He opened his academy on that level, buildings coaches, etc. He could open because he was wealthy. LOL! His income during 2006-2018 : $ 23,5 millions.
    But now he invests to the academy he has no profit.

Fourth: You forgot to mention his cheapest lessons is 15 000/ months and he gives grants for the talented children and there are talented children who don't pay at all. Aaand because that is a private academy he must pay for everything but Eteri on the contrary receives everything from the club. This is not a good comparison.
    Plushenko absolutely deserves all his money, I never said otherwise.
    I just found you mocking her because of that coat to be a little funny, considering Plushenko loves luxury as well, and couldn't help to point out that contradiction, that's all.

Again, loving and buying expensive things isn't something to be ashamed about. It's about tastes, what makes you feel better, and I don't think Plushenko or Mishin or anyone else should be shamed because they own quality expensive clothes.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macy View Post
    my point was there was nothing insulting said towards him, so i'm confused as to why it received such a defensive response.
    Ok. Maybe I was too sensitive but I didn't understand why did she mention Plushenko at all in this matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nussnacker View Post
    Plushenko absolutely deserves all his money, I never said otherwise.
    I just found you mocking her because of that coat to be a little funny, considering Plushenko loves luxury as well, and couldn't help to point out that contradiction, that's all.

Again, loving and buying expensive things isn't something to be ashamed about. It's about tastes, what makes you feel better, and I don't think Plushenko or Mishin or anyone else should be shamed because they own quality expensive clothes.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    % from prize money are really not going to suffice to earn you anything.
    Getting 30k rubles (~500$?) per lesson as Plushenko does, certainly will.

That 40% being thrown around after another „TSL Insider info“ seems really untrustworthy to me.
    Their „insides“ are often as far from the truth as 5G conspiracies. Last time they got us another inside, that Eteri was about to make a statement about Aliona on channel 1 the week it happened, and oh, who would’ve known, that was another lie.
    Same with info about Adelia Petrosyan leaving the group.

As a top coach you can earn money, from premiums government pays if your students get podium. I assume, that’s were majority of the income comes from.
    While the amount is unknown of what Eteri or Sambo gets, Brian Orser gave an interview where it was mentioned that Medvedeva was surprised he didn't take a cut of her show earnings when she switched to him. So it does sound like it may not be an industry standard situation that Eteri is doing. But that's a situation where I say if the skater and/or their parents is willing to pay that amount or percentage then that's their business with Eteri. If that's part of the cause for skaters leaving then perhaps Eteri needs to consider amending her policy, but its been said in other threads skaters like Trusova/Shcherbakova getting big-time sponsorship deals shortly after or even before turning senior is not the norm, usually figure skaters get endorsement deals only after big wins like the Olympics (see Zagitova) or prolonged success at winning top competitions (see Medvedeva) and historically you don't see many skaters continuing after they get the big win so a coach getting percentage probably means little unless there is some type of agreement for compensation even after a skater retires.

Again, if she was only after the money, opening a private school Plushenko style .
    She might be able to do that now, but when Eteri started she was not in the same position as Plushenko is right now (or was when he started his school).

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    While the amount is unknown of what Eteri or Sambo gets, Brian Orser gave an interview where it was mentioned that Medvedeva was surprised he didn't take a cut of her show earnings when she switched to him. So it does sound like it may not be an industry standard situation that Eteri is doing. But that's a situation where I say if the skater and/or their parents is willing to pay that amount or percentage then that's their business with Eteri. If that's part of the cause for skaters leaving then perhaps Eteri needs to consider amending her policy, but its been said in other threads skaters like Trusova/Shcherbakova getting big-time sponsorship deals shortly after or even before turning senior is not the norm, usually figure skaters get endorsement deals only after big wins like the Olympics (see Zagitova) or prolonged success at winning top competitions (see Medvedeva) and historically you don't see many skaters continuing after they get the big win so a coach getting percentage probably means little unless there is some type of agreement for compensation even after a skater retires.
    She might be able to do that now, but when Eteri started she was not in the same position as Plushenko is right now (or was when he started his school).
    That’s ultimately the difference between Canadian system and Russian system.
    Brian takes a fee per lesson + each other individual coach does + ice time etc
    So his student will pay for everything and not share any prize money.

Some NA coaches will get you oh for everything AND take a portion of your prize money.

Russian system (which Eteri and all other Russian coaches use) is that everything is fully subsidized, but the government takes 30% of the earnings.
    It’s not her invention, it’s how it works in Russia generally in state funded teams.

Besides, just recently her student gave an interview where he said, she never asked him to pay (when he wasn’t on funding), when he /other students didn’t have means, and even gave him clothes.
    That’s not to tell that “she’s a saint”, but I don’t think it’s solely the money that’s motivating her.

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps el henry's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the summary, @Nussnacker, but just a small clarification point.

I do not know any North American coach today who takes a cut of earnings. They did in the past. Frank Carroll famously did, but I think even he halted the practice in his later years.

And I think every coach, Russian, American, Canadian, has skaters of stories with kindness of waiving fees, giving places to live, helping students. I know Rafael A. did for Adam Rippon when he first arrived. And good for all of them

Sorry for the slight diversion....

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by el henry View Post
    Thank you for the summary, @Nussnacker, but just a small clarification point.

I do not know any North American coach today who takes a cut of earnings. They did in the past. Frank Carroll famously did, but I think even he halted the practice in his later years.

And I think every coach, Russian, American, Canadian, has skaters of stories with kindness of waiving fees, giving places to live, helping students. I know Rafael A. did for Adam Rippon when he first arrived. And good for all of them

Sorry for the slight diversion....
    I was thinking precisely about Frank when I wrote that. I’m sure it’s different for each NA coach, but I just wanted to give another example

0 Not allowed!
    That "system is nothing unknown even here, it was discussed several times here. The prize for an hour with a top coach in North America (Western Europe would be different) is very costly. There is still that example with Brian about 100-110 $ per hour (which is in fact about 10 to 15 years old information, so today's price can be even higher). In comparison the price for an hour in a team like Khrustalnyi is about 4-5 $ per hour (which is still not a small abount considering the difference in the purchase power). The members of the national team have their costs paid by state (something is paid by local divisions of FFKKR). And then there are the money from shows etc., from which you pay some share to the coach (not just Eteri, Mishin and others get their share as well). The difference is that in NA you pay for the big money whether you are succesful or not, in the "russian system" only the best who made their name (and who paid relatively low for their training before) get the invitations to events like all those "Something on the Ice" shows.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by flanker View Post
    I wonder who said she is a saint then. Definitely not Scott
    Not me.

Who said who is a saint? EG?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott512 View Post
    Not me.

Who said who is a saint? EG?
    Do not be bothered by that

0 Not allowed!
    Second: I don't know why you mentioned Plushenko. It seems Plushenko got stuck in the throat of fans of TT.
    Like Eteri got stuck in your throat.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    How can you know this? WE all know she is a saint and she is working for the work . I just don't understand how can she buy the Louis Vuitton goods and how can she pay the botox treatments?
    So you're the one who said EG is a saint. Awww.

Please remember we were all Plushenko fans back in the day when he was the best men's figure skater in the world for many years. I don't like how he's breaking up greatest ladies figure skating Dynasty ever. I'm not a fan of how he is going about this. But that doesn't take away how I think at his peak he was the best men's figure skater ever.

EG supporters admit her faults. She is quick to anger, wrongly harshly criticizes her students who she made great when they abruptly leave her. She has feuds with people in the media some probably justified some probably not. There I said it. What I like most about eteri is she came from nothing and became this huge coach with a dynasty in one discipline never seen before in the sport by one coach. I just wish she would act better when her students leave her. But the wounds cut deep in her heart let's be honest. She is only human after all.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627