The Terry Gannon Thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The Terry Gannon Thread

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly!
That was my point... I think something must be getting lost in the translation. :scratch3:

OK, sorry. But the top three do not control their own destiny under IJS. The second and third place skaters can win the free skate and not win gold, because their short program doesn't add enough points overall to win. For example, Evgenia was in second after the short program and won the free skate at the 2018 Olympics but only came in second overall. Under the old ordinal system, she would have won gold because she placed first in the long.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'd trade Rod Black for Terry Gannon any day of the week.

Why? As much as I love Terry's presence on NBC, I can't imagine TSN/CTV nor Canadian Nationals without Rod Black. I love his smooth buttery voice and uplifting cheering for skaters. :luv17:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Terry is the only decent commentator NBC has. He is a joy in the booth. He deserves better people to work with when calling figure skating. He's doing a great job calling Gymnastics, too, and I wonder if he wishes he had as competent color commentators in the winter months as he does in the summer.

RobinA

On the Ice
Just to add to the Terry Gannon appreciation...I love the man. I can't remember a time when he wasn't on the broadcast, even though I remember well when I thought no one could replace Jim MacKay. :hpull: Skating would never be the same!!! Then he comes on and I figured he would be OK, although not Jim MacKay. Now...I listen to some broadcasts without him and I grit my teeth until I tune in one day and it's TERRY GANNON and I feel all calm. All is well, skating is as it should be!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ RobinA, you reminded me of something else I love about Terry Gannon ... his calm voice. I think it's his voice the way it would naturally be, but it's also a nicely trained broadcasting voice; and it does make one feel that all is well.

The only complaint I have about Terry isn't AT ALL his fault, because I'm sure the network wants him to work in background material about the skaters. Because of commercials, the only time available to do that is in the quiet parts of programs. In other words, the few seconds of a figure skating program when the skater gets a chance to really show what the program is about. I love the quieter parts when I can really connect the music to the skating.

Of course I really enjoy the broadcasts without commercials, when they don't have to do that, like the ISU broadcasts of JGPs. But I also want figure skating events to be broadcast to a larger audience, and audience members who wouldn't have necessarily tuned in otherwise. So I'm glad at least those interruptions come in a mellow voice.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Hello, those reading this. I just got a season pass, so I hope to actually share the two pics I took in Joliet. Let me go back to the first post and see if that's possible...'

EDIT: Just reread the comments on the first page, and I think my memory had other words remembered... I thought a season pass would let me attach pictures. Apparently not. Will look into a hyperlink option mentioned upthread... stand by....

tokoyami

On the Ice
I like Terry enough but it's like they got a random dude off the street, shoved some basic facts about the skater and geography into his hands, and let him go wild. Like ok Terry I don't care if a year ago this skater went on the local transit for the first time STOP TALKING DURING THE PROGRAM!! He almost NEVER gives commentary regarding the actual skating it's exhausting

LeReveur

On the Ice
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184009051@N03/

Let me know if that works.

As for your comment, tokoyami, I believe this about American networks based on what I have read and observed: announcers who did not compete in the sport they are covering are asked to make general statements, lob soft questions to their partners, and cover certain talking points. For me, the end result is that commentary in the US (for the sports I watch) lacks substance and is sometimes talking for the sake of talking. Therefore, I can't fully blame the announcers, even if some are much more pleasant to listen to than others.

*I first saw the Terry Gannon tribute years ago and thought of sharing it, but I didn't have a camera handy. There are many athletes with ties to Joliet that are painted onto concrete, and many have flaked off over the years. It is sheer luck that Terry's mug hasn't decayed beyond recognition, as some spots on the walls are nearly white at this point.

I like Terry enough but it's like they got a random dude off the street, shoved some basic facts about the skater and geography into his hands, and let him go wild. Like ok Terry I don't care if a year ago this skater went on the local transit for the first time STOP TALKING DURING THE PROGRAM!! He almost NEVER gives commentary regarding the actual skating it's exhausting.

This is the USA style of sports broadcasting. The assumption of the television networks is that the announcer is the star of the show and that people tune in to be entertained by the host. The worst is Bob Costas on the Olympics.

In contrast, Terry is a breath of fresh air. He is not too bad at talking over the performances. I think his instructions are, when the skating program hits a boring spot, like between jumps, the audience needs some patter to keep them from switching channels.

Although he did not himself compete in figure skating (his sport was basketball), he has a genuine interest in and appreciation for skating, and a fondness for the skaters that he has met and interacted with. Over the years he has become quite knowledgeable.

Sometimes it seems like he is biting his tongue when he has to turn to Tara Lipinski or Johnny Weir and ask them a question that he already knows the answer to. :laugh:

Edit: About the "random dude," yeah, Terry is kind of the random due / Jack of all trades of sports broadcasting. He has done a variety of odd-ball sports that are not popular enough to have a full-time dedicated announcer who only does that one sport. He did a lot of golf when he first started out, back before golf became such a popular TV sport as it is now.

Terry does his homework and has achieved the reputation of being able to handle anything you throw at him.

Last edited:

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always liked Terry Gannon's style of commentary, he's great at his job.

I also think he's a hottie. LOL

noskates

Record Breaker
And here I am cracking on Tara again - she's the one that won't shut up about inconsequential trivia. At least Johnny talks about the technical aspects. I think Terry learns more and more as the years go on and agree that he's one of the best. This will not be a popular opinion but I used to get hives listening to Dick Button. He was so derogatory about all but his most favorite skaters and was steeped in the past. I'll never forget him saying a beautiful spiral was more important than a triple jump - in whose universe? Maybe in the 30's or 40's but certainly not in contemporary times. Ryan Bradley talks wayyyyyyyyyyy too much in a monotonous voice and uses the same catch=phrases ad nausem ("in the conversation) As for past skaters commentating, I think Tanith Belbin and Charlie White are among the very best. The few times I've heard Kurt Browning were special, too, but can't get him here in the US very often. Scott Hamilton is an icon in every sense of the word but he would get so excited he'd forget to say what was going on. I think being a sports commentator is very difficult and I'm probably too picky but I want to hear the music, if a jump is missed it's always nice to know why, and a lot of the background stories don't need to be repeated time and time and time again.

I'll never forget (Dick Button) saying a beautiful spiral was more important than a triple jump - in whose universe? Maybe in the 30's or 40's but certainly not in contemporary times. ...

I think that's because Dick was the first skater in history to do a beautiful spiral.

Oh, no, wait ... :)

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don’t feel that Tara goes on about random and not important trivia, but her comments seem quite superficial.

I actually like Johnny, and Terry usually seems appropriate with his comments and the timing of them.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Dream Team: Terry Gannon and Ted Barton. With a bit of Tanith Belbin added for dance events.

I think that team might be a little too nice. Poor Tanith would end up in the "evil queen" role with her gentle critiques. :laugh:

statmam

On the Ice
It works. Thank you.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184009051@N03/

Let me know if that works.

As for your comment, tokoyami, I believe this about American networks based on what I have read and observed: announcers who did not compete in the sport they are covering are asked to make general statements, lob soft questions to their partners, and cover certain talking points. For me, the end result is that commentary in the US (for the sports I watch) lacks substance and is sometimes talking for the sake of talking. Therefore, I can't fully blame the announcers, even if some are much more pleasant to listen to than others.

*I first saw the Terry Gannon tribute years ago and thought of sharing it, but I didn't have a camera handy. There are many athletes with ties to Joliet that are painted onto concrete, and many have flaked off over the years. It is sheer luck that Terry's mug hasn't decayed beyond recognition, as some spots on the walls are nearly white at this point.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Edit: About the "random dude," yeah, Terry is kind of the random due / Jack of all trades of sports broadcasting. He has done a variety of odd-ball sports that are not popular enough to have a full-time dedicated announcer who only does that one sport. He did a lot of golf when he first started out, back before golf became such a popular TV sport as it is now.

Terry still does commentary for golf.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Terry did golf commentary at least as recently as the FedEx Cup, a few weeks ago.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Count me in as another Terry fan. I read an article several years ago (when Michelle was still competing), that talked about how when he was given the skating gig he knew nothing about the sport but he has grown to really like and appreciate it. I've been trying to find the article again with no luck, but here is a similar one from last year if anyone is interested.

https://www.woodtv.com/news/from-hoops-to-links-to-the-rink-terry-gannon-provides-the-voice/