The Terry Gannon Thread | Golden Skate

The Terry Gannon Thread

LeReveur

On the Ice
American announcer Terry Gannon grew up in Joliet, Illinois, and I took a pair of pictures of some street art that honors him. I have never tried to attach a picture from my laptop to a thread before. I did a search for how to do attachments, but the instructions don't seem to match an option on my screen ("you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments.")

Would anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

:rock:

I wish Mr. Politeness would tell Tara, "Oh yeah, well you might be the youngest this and that, but I was national champion (in NCAA basketball) before you were a year old." :laugh:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'll always love him for sticking up for Ivett Toth at the Olympics when Tara and Johnny were trashing her choice of music because it didn't personally appeal to them.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'd trade Rod Black for Terry Gannon any day of the week.

Hmm well national bias, I'm a big fan of Mr Gannon. After so many years of working with Uncle Dick and Peggy Flemming, to work with Johnny and Tara and not have anything even remotely resembling a meltdown (or a blow up!) whilst commentating is quite the achievement. He's a consummate professional.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
My dad was really surprised to see Terry as a figure skating commentator, he knows him from the Golf Channel lol.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Despite a some questionable comments from Johnny and Tara, I actually really liked their commentating with Terry. I saw someone on Twitter refer to it as "like someone's husband crashing a girls' weekend" or something like that.

I'll always love him for sticking up for Ivett Toth at the Olympics when Tara and Johnny were trashing her choice of music because it didn't personally appeal to them.

YES. Ivett's program was awesome. IMO, figure skating needs more hard rock and metal. :rock:

Yossalu

On the Ice
Gannon's NC State coach, Jim Valvano, gave him both a nudge and a safety net, telling him he had no future as a player but if broadcasting didn't work out he would always have a job coaching with him. Gannon could have stuck with regional basketball broadcasts but he never backed down from a challenge.

Figure skating certainly wasn't initially in his comfort zone but he really grew into the job. He needed to compare everything to basketball and football in his first couple of years but over time he truly fell in love with the sport. I remember him choking up on his last broadcast with Dick and Peggy. They remain my favorite broadcasting trio.

I literally cheered when I found out NBC was bringing him over. It's such a blessing to have someone who does his homework, someone who is enthusiastic about every sport he covers, someone who asks all the right questions and knows when to be silent. He's one of the best in the business.

Orlov

Medalist
I understand correctly that Terry is the third, daddy's voice on NBC with Tara and Johnny? I love this trio! This team is just a gift. How I wish we in Russian had such commentators. But alas, our commentators are very unprofessional. This is despite the fact that TAT, Yagudin and Grishin are the best we have (other commentators are absolutely unbearable)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm well national bias, I'm a big fan of Mr Gannon. After so many years of working with Uncle Dick and Peggy Flemming, to work with Johnny and Tara and not have anything even remotely resembling a meltdown (or a blow up!) whilst commentating is quite the achievement. He's a consummate professional.

Terry Gannon is a great straightman for skating. He like Rod Black is level headed. Talking about figure skating may be a bit more organic for Black but both bring credibility especially Gannon to rather flamboyant and sometimes tabloid/reality tv/drama approach of American broadcaster = Button, Fleming, Lipinski and Weir. I mean you can see with these four commentators their "passion or biases" . My dad once walked by the tv and thought Dick Button was going to have an orgasm over a layback. He also thought some of Johnny's outfits were not professional and did not add credibility to the sport. (On a side note I appreciate that our society has evolved enough that a very individualistic, unique if not society contrasting or contradictory personality and style of say Weir is accepted that he has a job on national tv at some of the biggest events. I think Gannon really brings some professionalism to skating commentating. Finally as to national biasmwell peopletheUnited States has probably the most biasm if truth be known but that is natural.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love Terry! He has respect for the sport and that comes across during the broadcasts. I was glad to see him doing gymnastics commentary last week too! As we've had some real duds in the past (Al Trautwig was one of the worst).

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Terry actually seems to enjoy watching skating! :cheer: Mr. Gannon

Terry also remembers what he sees and shares details from before Tara & Johnny were commentating. He seems well liked by all his co-broadcasters on ABC, NBC and ESPN. Dick Button is such a strong personality and must have been challenging at times, Terry always gracefully would keep him on track. I wasn't sure how he would do when he first started after following the great Jim McKay, but he has won me over completely. Well done Terry.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:hap10: :luv17: :cheer: I have so much respect for Terry! Always a pleasure to see/hear him on the broadcasts, no matter what the sport or event (he has also been a commentator for the Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year's Day). Even if I'm not totally in the other sports, I'll tune in to listen to his calming, soothing voice. Classy guy & a great balance to "Uncle" Dickie & Peggy & Tara & Johnny.

noskates

Record Breaker
I really enjoy Terry and am always amazed that he is so knowledgeable. I just wish he'd put a sock in Tara's mouth.

lizardlass

On the Ice
I love Terry. He has a positive and even handed commentating style, and has always been a good foil to his more dramatic costars. He has a lot of respect for the sport and for the athletes, and his commentary is completely about THEM. That's especially refreshing right now...

(Sorry I am no help with your questions, OP!)

icetug

Medalist
I have never tried to attach a picture from my laptop to a thread before. I did a search for how to do attachments, but the instructions don't seem to match an option on my screen

I checked my options and found the box below the message window, entitled "Posting permissions" which stated: "You may not post attachments".
Believe only GS staff (and maybe GS supporters?) got the option to post attachments. That's why there are so few attachments posted.

When I wanted to post here photos taken by myself, I created an account on a webpage offered a photo storage, downloaded the photos and then linked them here. Another solution is to share the photos on your instagram, facebook etc. account and then link them here.

Hope it helps.

Scott512

Record Breaker
:rock:

I wish Mr. Politeness would tell Tara, "Oh yeah, well you might be the youngest this and that, but I was national champion (in NCAA basketball) before you were a year old." :laugh:

Yes Terry was a valuable member on that miracle North Carolina State national championship basketball team. I have certainly enjoyed his work over the years. Terry Tara and Johnny make an awesome threesome. With Terry being the most sane one. ;) I also used to enjoy a great combination of Tom Hammond Peggy Fleming and Dick Button although Terry Tara and Johnny are funnier. :)

NaVi

Medalist
Terry is mostly good... especially at the Olympics when he is at the top of his game and especially for the lower ranked skaters... but there have been moments where for a skater I've been waiting to watch he kind of intrudes. I've gotten angry about it a couple times too. I wish for the top skaters they'd give him a little extra room to talk before or after their performances so he doesn't do it during their performances.

TBH, I kind of think figure skating is better of with two announcers rather than three because with three announcers you have too much competition to get a word in to justify your announcing... which results in too much talking.