Smucker's Sky Cam | Golden Skate

Smucker's Sky Cam

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Is FANTASTIC!!! We will finally be able to capture more of what the relative speed of the skaters' performances are with respect to one another, and we get to view PATTERNS.

This is a great step forward for TV viewers, and I love it!!

How do you all feel about it?

What you said, ChiSk8Fan, ITA! And I think they're using it in combination with the traditional camera work in a good proportion. Great step ahead in TV coverage for figure skating. Thanks for pointing it out. :)
Rgirl

Hikaru

Final Flight
That is very intereting, for we can see how well the skaters cover the ice (specially when they do the circular footwork, to see if it really is circular), and the speed as well. Can't wait to see it!! But it won't be until the end of the month according to the espn latino calendar.... wonder if they'll use it at worlds as well...

I was not thrilled with the skycam...it didn't seem to keep up with the skaters very well....quite a few times I saw a leg, a foot and then blank ice for a second or so.
Some of the vantage points it gave were nice, but overall it annoyed me. Maybe with more use and practice???

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hate the thing. I makes me dizzy and whoever directs the choice of shots is doing a poor job. For example, during Michelle's final footwork section of her LP he/she used the SmuckCam shot and it diminished the clarity and impact of what she was doing. It spoiled it for me totally. It should be shelved along with the other Smucker's products.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
yelyoh said:
I hate the thing. I makes me dizzy and whoever directs the choice of shots is doing a poor job. For example, during Michelle's final footwork section of her LP he/she used the SmuckCam shot and it diminished the clarity and impact of what she was doing. It spoiled it for me totally. It should be shelved along with the other Smucker's products.

:rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Actually, I totally agree with you. I found it disconcerting and it made me dizzy, too! I lost perspective of where the skater was on the ice.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal & Yelyoh --

I completely agree with both of you. HATED IT!! At the very best, it gave you a perfect idea of what it's like to sit in the cheap seats (loved Terry Gannon's remark about "Are there any cheap seats anymore?", btw :laugh: ) and at worst, it made me almost seasick, with the camera spinning up and around in one direction while the skater is going in an entirely different direction; I actually got a split-second of vertigo during Katy Taylor's program and just about fell off the couch. And I too think that had they just shown Michelle's footwork sequence in the NORMAL fashion, it would have had much more impact, ESPECIALLY given that this was not one of her stronger programs to begin with and it could have used some. One of the advantages of seeing competitions live as opposed to actually being there is you get a much more intimate, close-up view of the program; if the cameras are gonna be hung from rafters, that pretty much destroys that.

Lotta

On the Ice
IS NOT FANTASTIC! Although I like the fact that I feel likeflying over the ice, I'm kinda scared that the thing would break from its wires and crash on the ice. KNOCK ON WOOD! :[ It makes me dizzy a little, too.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I posted my comments on another thread. I don't like it one bit. It's like watching from a hot air balloon. I couldn't get a feel of what the skater was doing. I need to see their face, their expressions, etc. I am going to e-mail someone (I'm not sure yet) and complain. This is a step "backwards" in my opinion.......42

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
In the arena we were pretty interested to see the skycam, but just from the shots they showed on the monitor, I didn't like it.

Then we got back to the hotel last night, and since everything is tape delayed on the west coast, saw the ladies final again on tv. Skycam really is bad! Surprisingly bad! I can't believe no one at ABC took a look at some of the shots and said "scrap it." Maybe they were too invested at that point (it being sponsored and all).

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Crotch Cam

Is what I thought especially during some of the pairs and dance lifts. It made me dizzy at times too. But then I was sipping some wine so who knows. :p

I did not like it at all during footwork since you can't see the feet. It might have a place, but I would rather see them use it on more of an experimental basis to show some replays while we wait for scores.

Maybe I'm just getting too old to appreciate new tricks LOL.

DG

doubleaxelcm

On the Ice
yelyoh said:

I agree with you and realtor gal completely.! :mad:

Lotta

On the Ice
Haha doggygirl. Crotch cam. :laugh: They do a lift and they cut to the sky cam and the viewers are all "Oooh crotches". :rofl: :rofl:

Jhar55

Medalist
I liked it, hope thye keep it for worlds. I see a lot don't care for it, but what if they only used it on the replay?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I would love it if they just wanted to use it for replay.

I HATED HATED HATED it when they used it for competition. If I was in Portland, I would have thrown rocks at it until it fell.

I think ABC/ESPN had to say "Smuckers" so many times in the broadcast or they'd lose their sponsership. I miss Chevy's sponsership where they just used stromotion in replays.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Smuckers / ABC could consider...

.....Donating Crotch Cam to a Gentlemen's Club. It could be mounted in the floor instead of from the rafters, and thus present less of a danger to the performers should audience members decide to throw rocks.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked the skycam. Gives a different point of view, and I thought it was a nice touch, different from the same old "side view".

That said, people need to keep in mind that this is the FIRST time it's ever being used (hence the less-than-great camerawork with the skater going off camera for a split second or so). Maybe with more use, the broadcasters will get a better idea of when to use it and when to use a different camera.

Just my thoughts...I say give this cam a chance...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Your point supports my earlier, more serious suggestion...

Red Dog said:
I'm in the minority here, but I actually liked the skycam. Gives a different point of view, and I thought it was a nice touch, different from the same old "side view".

That said, people need to keep in mind that this is the FIRST time it's ever being used (hence the less-than-great camerawork with the skater going off camera for a split second or so). Maybe with more use, the broadcasters will get a better idea of when to use it and when to use a different camera.

Just my thoughts...I say give this cam a chance...
.....That they use it for replay action until it's clear what the best use really is.

While my husband enjoyed the crotch action, I got frustrated missing parts of programs. I don't mind the innovation and I'm sure it has a place, but doesn't it make sense to use it for replays for awhile?

DG