in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Never liked Queen, and last year:slink:

*dramatic offended gasp*

Other pieces I think will become (more) popular:
'Queen' songs

I just wish more people would realise they put out 188 songs during their recording career and stop reusing the same 4-5 "hits". Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece but it is not well-suited for skating. Millionaire Waltz, on the other hand...

Anyway, I think I can answer this definitively:

Sweet Dreams in all of its variations. GO. AWAY. I hate the song to begin with...

energywithin22

Rinkside
*dramatic offended gasp*

I just wish more people would realise they put out 188 songs during their recording career and stop reusing the same 4-5 "hits". Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece but it is not well-suited for skating. Millionaire Waltz, on the other hand...

Anyway, I think I can answer this definitively:

Sweet Dreams in all of its variations. GO. AWAY. I hate the song to begin with...

People not liking Queen make me sad : (
There are tons of great Queen songs to skate to. I would personally like to see a programme to "You and I", may be from a pair. Other than that "You take my breath away", preferably an ice dance team :)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
There are tons of great Queen songs to skate to. I would personally like to see a programme to "You and I", may be from a pair. Other than that "You take my breath away", preferably an ice dance team :)

thinking more of an energetic/rock program thank a romantic/lyrical one someone should skate on Gimme the Prize, Living on my own, I want it all and just Michal Brezina on The Great Pretender:laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Yay, someone else whose favourite song is You and I!

thinking more of an energetic/rock program thank a romantic/lyrical one someone should skate on Gimme the Prize, Living on my own, I want it all and just Michal Brezina on The Great Pretender:laugh:

Someone could do Put Out The Fire, but I imagine that program would go down like a lead balloon in America. I'd like to see Dancer. Or they could do something from one of the really early albums! Keep Yourself Alive! ;)

icybear

Medalist
La La Land - hoping it's just a phase. I'm sick of it, I dont need it to become a warhouse.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Yay, someone else whose favourite song is You and I!

Someone could do Put Out The Fire, but I imagine that program would go down like a lead balloon in America. I'd like to see Dancer. Or they could do something from one of the really early albums! Keep Yourself Alive! ;)

what about hammer to fall?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There are literally thousands of musical artists from all over the world that people could skate to, but don't...what is this obsession with Queen? And the same other handful that keep coming up every season. You have skaters from all parts of the world, for example, who probably have some very talented local artists that could be exposed to a wider audience. Instead they mostly just skate to the same played-out Anglophone pop. It's depressing.

(I know there are exceptions, like Donovan Carillo - we need more like him!)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I adore :luv17: Donovan, and he introduced me to Juan Gabriel, but this year his FP is a vocal pop version of Aranjuez. By Il Divo. So although Spanish lyrics, no Mexican music. :shrug:

Thereā€™s always next year ;)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You have skaters from all parts of the world, for example, who probably have some very talented local artists that could be exposed to a wider audience. Instead they mostly just skate to the same played-out Anglophone pop. It's depressing.

It's a bit of a balancing act for them though, the judges and TPTB being the conservative bunch we all know they are, and the skaters being, well skaters, sportspeople rather than musicians, I can understand why most of them tend to play safe wherever marks are involved, look for pieces that fit the mold as well as being mainly a showcase for their ability, and keep any splashy individualism for the galas.

And even there, they're mostly kids or at least very young, they would want what is trendy/popular in their corner of the world, and that their young social media fans and peers will like as well. And the music business being what it is... that does mean a lot of Anglo-American pop.

Mind you, I'm surprised the massive superhero movies don't feature way more. But then, I'm surprised by a lot of the stuff they decide to inflic- I mean, grace us with.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are literally thousands of musical artists from all over the world that people could skate to, but don't...what is this obsession with Queen?

So sorry that I'm trying to contribute to a greater diversity of music by suggesting more tracks from the greatest band of all time.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Iā€™ve seen a lot of skaters pick Richerā€™s November (Departure is popular), but the only skater that can pull it off is Alena Kostornaia IMO.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
ice dancers got a thing for Bonnie and Clyde:disapp:

From a musical that lasted for 33 previews and all of 36 performances on Broadway.

Really if you want a gangster musical to skate to, why not Bugsy Malone, which at least is delightfully oddball and not just dull. Frank Wildhorn is a hack.

Ducky

On the Ice
From a musical that lasted for 33 previews and all of 36 performances on Broadway.

Really if you want a gangster musical to skate to, why not Bugsy Malone, which at least is delightfully oddball and not just dull. Frank Wildhorn is a hack.

Could be worse, some team could have skated to Dance of the Vampires.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power šŸ»
Record Breaker
Could be worse, some team could have skated to Dance of the Vampires.

If they would skate to the German original of Dance of the Vampires I wouldn't mind. It has two or three songs that are quite catchy. However, the English broadway version is just. .. :palmf: