Plushenko world win...??? | Golden Skate

Plushenko world win...???

K

Kasey

Plushenko world win...???

I'm not a huge Plushenko fan, although he's pretty impressive in his talent...I'm actually rooting for someone else to win worlds. But, having said that, since Plushenko IS the cream of the crop there...I'm wondering what will be said/thought if he DOES win...if there are going to be people saying "Well, yeah, Yagudin wasn't there"...It seems it would be a shame. If he skates clean and does all he plans, then he could very well win against Yagudin as well...but I just wonder if he will get credit. The one time he's won so far was when Yags was injured (although based on his long program, he probably would have won anyway)....Any thoughts about it?

P

Princess Leppard 625

Re: Plushenko world win...???

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Evgeni has beat Alexei legitimately many times, and I hope the announcers remember that. Alexei is Evgeni's only serious competition (Takeshi and Abt are getting there), but I don't know if he could beat Plush this year.

But, yeah, we are going to hear, "but Yagudin isn't here." I'm sure of it.

Cheers,

Laura :) </span>

M

mathman444

I don't think it will be a problem. In any competiton, you can only beat the people who are there.

I'm sure that folks will wonder what Irina might have done in the ladies, too.

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Plushenko is the odds on favorite. It is his to lose.

Joe

L

Lcp88

While I think Plushenco will most defiantly win, and deserves to as well, I just can't help but think what it would be like if Ilia Kilmkin or Brian Joubert by some miracle just happen to win:eek: . Or anybody else for that matter. It would probably be a huge media frenzie (Like Sarah/Michelle.)
Or even (shudders)..........MIKE WEISS
Laura

B

Bleuchick

IF he does not win then it would be :eek:

C

CuteGreekGoddess

<span style="color:blue;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:x-small;"><strong>
oh please anyone but Weiss
:| :| :| :| :| :| :x
I wanna see Klimkin, Joubert or Plushy win </strong></span>

K

Kasey

I didn't mean to imply that Plushenko hasn't beaten Yagudin at his best...I know they have traded many titles back and forth. He's just cranked through all his competitions so easily this year, it's like he really didn't have any competition...sigh.

S

Show 42

I think if Plushy wins Worlds, it will clearly be on his own merits, not because certain skaters were or were not there...he's that good.........42

J

Joesitz

I'm not quite sure why fans are worried about this skater. He's first choice for everyone to win the Worlds this year. What is it that could happen to him to cause a loss?

The betting public are going for 2nd and 3rd which are not at all sure bets.

Joe

K

Kasey

Sorry Joesitz...I'm not "worried" about Plushy...I know he is definately the ONE to beat, and will probably win...I just think that a lot of media can be less than pleasant, it would seem....I just hope that he does get the credit he deserves, and is treated nicely by public and media alike...I know I started this thread, I guess that was an error, Sorry.
Kasey

M

mathman444

I just saw Plushenko in the GP finals, again, doing his quad toe/triple toe/triple loop.

I suppose that it is absurd to bring up the question of "flow out of the jump" in this context.

Which do you like better, a quad sequence of unheard of technical prowess or something a little less miraculous, which, however, does not bring the program to a complete stop?

Mathman

J

Joesitz

Kasey - You are a fan of one heluva skater. His Bofrost SP was one of the best I've ever seen.

Joe

E

Ewdokia

Given his performances and those of the other skaters Plushenko is the clear favourite. But that might harm him as well. This year he is the ONLY Russian who can win this championships. (I'm not counting out Klimkin as a contender for gold, but IMO he is not one of the top favourites.) That will put a lot of pressure on Plushenko. And I'm really curious what will happen if he recognizes Yagudin among the spectators. But unless nerves due to the pressure of being the top favourite or some unforseen circumstances effect Plushenko I'm quite sure that there is nobody to beat him. Whoever becomes the new champion and personally I wish it will be Plushenko, I hope he skates so fantastically that there won't be a discussion if he would have won with Yagudin being able to participate.