Will it go to history as the greatest junior rivalry EVER? | Golden Skate

Will it go to history as the greatest junior rivalry EVER?

zounger

Medalist
I don’t see any rivalry at the moment. With their planned content Alysa will finish 15 points ahead of Valieva.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Sure, you don’t. I gave them the same possibility to be clean. Which is generous to Valieva compared to Alysa.

I misunderstood this the first read through, but it's one thing to land the jumps and another to fully rotate the landed jumps. We'll have to see what Alysa's 4Lz looks like in Lake Placid.

mathlike

On the Ice
And whose crystal ball says this will in real life be any longer, hmmm?
What I meant, they both plan to compete for two seasons in juniors, while Alina vs Marin couldn't possibly last longer than one year, due to Alina's shorter int'l career in juniors and both skaters transferring to seniors at 15.
If nothing bad happen we will feast our eyes on these two talents for two whole wonderful seasons! :dance:

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa: Amazing endurance and mental fortitude who is a performer that feeds off of the audience’s energy, improving skating skills, ability to land immensely difficult jumps, great rotational speed, and improving jump quality. Alysa’s best jumps are her 3F and 3Lo and she could probably learn the 4F quite easily judging by how easy her 3F is.

Kamila: Insane flexibility and spins, good skating skills, barring the 3Lz, her jumps have a great quality to them. Kamila has a mysterious, almost ethereal presence on the ice contrasted by Alysa’s youthful and abandonment quality. Kamila’s quad is much better than Alysa’s but the landing is more wonky which could lead to terrible injury.

All in all, both Kamila and Alysa excel at many facets and fall short of other aspects of figure skating. That, in my opinion, is what makes this rivalry so interesting because both bring their own UNIQUE flair to the ice. Not many young skaters truly find their niche until they get older, but Alysa and Kamila already have an established persona and character on the ice.

Let us hope that both stay healthy and continue to push the boundaries of what is possible, both artistically and technically. Imagine a rivalry on the scale of Mao and Yuna (but without the hate please).

zounger

Medalist
I misunderstood this the first read through, but it's one thing to land the jumps and another to fully rotate the landed jumps. We'll have to see what Alysa's 4Lz looks like in Lake Placid.

We will see of course. But for me its obvious that an underotated quad become an element. And I have in mind the seniors, and not only Eteri skaters. We will see a lot underotated quads with positive GOE.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
What I meant, they both plan to compete for two seasons in juniors, while Alina vs Marin couldn't possibly last longer than one year, due to Alina's shorter int'l career in juniors and both skaters transferring to seniors at 15.
If nothing bad happen we will feast our eyes on these two talents for two whole wonderful seasons! :dance:

I think the rivalry will become even more intense in the 20/21 season, as Sara Honda, who is Marin's little sister, will become a junior. She is also working on Quads and is already jumping Loop combos in shows. Also there are several other Japanese novice skaters who will become juniors in the next few season, who are already jumping 3As in national competitions. Also Alena Kanysheva is working on her 4T again after she was injured and hopes to include it this season. So this season could also be Alysa vs. Kamila vs. Alena
I imagine that in the 20/21 season the rivalry will be between the three big Feds.

frida80

Record Breaker

I kinda just want to see them skate without 20 pages of fighting in the competition threads after the competition ended. Rivalries are good for the sport, but the negativity from the fan makes it far less enjoyable.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

I kinda just want to see them skate without 20 pages of fighting in the competition threads after the competition ended. Rivalries are good for the sport, but the negativity from the fan makes it far less enjoyable.
Oh yes!
I loved Yuna and Mao and it was so annyoing back then to see all the fans getting at each other's throats. Certainly takes away some joy of the sport.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

LOL, that's why I never look at the competition threads once the competition is over. If I want a rapid 180 like that, I'll go practice waltz jumps.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Perhaps I'm just not going to get it, but Alysa's skating doesn't really do anything for me. I find the fact that she can execute her tech impressive, but I don't care for the execution itself. Her SP last year was adorable, but her FS at the Aurora Games felt empty. Crossover, jump, crossover, jump. I don't expect her to be flawless, especially considering how young she is, but I feel like I'm watching something different from everyone else.

Orlov

Medalist
Perhaps I'm just not going to get it, but Alysa's skating doesn't really do anything for me. I find the fact that she can execute her tech impressive, but I don't care for the execution itself. Her SP last year was adorable, but her FS at the Aurora Games felt empty. Crossover, jump, crossover, jump. I don't expect her to be flawless, especially considering how young she is, but I feel like I'm watching something different from everyone else.

You are too strict. Keep in mind that in this competition she was the first American lady to show a quad in competitions (okey, "competitions", but still). And the first lady showing the program with a quad and 3A. Whatever she is super-stable in the mental plane - this is a great responsibility and pressure.

And I see how she tries to progress. For example, look at such a nuance - after 3Lo she does continues to ride on one foot, in the style of Eteri's girls (Of course, I don’t say that only Eteri girls do it, but it’s definitely their style). Of course, this is still more reminiscent of the naive attempts of the younger sister to copy the big sisters :) But still. This was not at the championship of America, even attempts - just simple landing (this despite the fact that the jump set was easier). So the girl is developing, trying to improve the quality of the elements.

And her trainer doesn’t do clowning in the style of “oh, these Russians complicate everything so much, do all these endless details, complication for the sake of complexity, bla-bla-bla” She just looks at the best in this sport, and as far as possible she tries to make Alysa just as good.

I believe that such a rivalry is good for sports. For the development of these girls.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
And I see how she tries to progress. For example, look at such a nuance - after 3Lo she does continues to ride on one foot, in the style of Eteri's girls (Of course, I don’t say that only Eteri girls do it, but it’s definitely their style). Of course, this is still more reminiscent of the naive attempts of the younger sister to copy the big sisters :) But still. This was not at the championship of America, even attempts - just simple landing (this despite the fact that the jump set was easier). So the girl is developing, trying to improve the quality of the elements.

And her trainer doesn’t do clowning in the style of “oh, these Russians complicate everything so much, do all these endless details, complication for the sake of complexity, bla-bla-bla” She just looks at the best in this sport, and as far as possible she tries to make Alysa just as good.

Yeah, I noticed it too - for example Kostornaya's stag jump entry, some spin positions etc.. Her coach is clearly did her lesson of examining Eteri girls. Still, instead of copying the Russian girls I would prefer that they developed something theirs.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I’ll wait until they skate against each other first.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m watching the same thing you are.

ruga

Final Flight
I think the greatest rivalry was Trusova vs. Shcherbakova vs. Kostornaia. We got to see many more competitions where these three or at least two of them competed together due to the fact that they all come from the same country. And there was never a clear ranking. Out of three comps where they competed together this season, the winner was always different.

Kamila vs. Alysa is going to be great as well. And involve more fan wars as they come from vastly different countries. I like both of them. Kamila has a lot of different transitions and amazing spins while Alysa is an insanely consistent jumper and a nice performer. What Kamila would have to battle this season is her nerves while Alysa would have to try to rotate her jumps. I hope both of them will try to show their best in the upcoming year.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don’t see any rivalry at the moment. With their planned content Alysa will finish 15 points ahead of Valieva.

Well, Alysa's LP layout is hard to beat. That's basically a men layout. But with planned tech content Mao would have beat Yuna at any competition.
It will depend of cleaness and TP being blind or not.
Imo Kamila should get way higher PCS and GOE than Alysa. Which can help her to be close to Alysa. That's why kostornaya can compete with Scherbakova and Trusova despite not having a 3-3lo and a quad. Imo it will be closer than we think if both are clean.