Interesting report link re: Ladies SP | Golden Skate

Interesting report link re: Ladies SP

Emily did fine in her SP. I think she's determined to be a medalist in the future. Her 3/3s are budding. Czisny was the sad one. She fell and boy did they knock her down a lot. Otherwise it was a medalist performance. Of course there was Jenny Kirk and John Kander. She owes him. The Jr gals, Meissner and Taylor were well received at the senior level.

The actual Jr. Men this time around are fantastic. I think the USA will be having top flight Men's Division in the near future. The Junior Women were not at all good.

Again, in Dance, think of Manon and O'Mearer in the future and Orscher and Lucash in Pairs.

Does anyone care about figure skating without Kwan and Cohen?

Joe

Joe

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

I would miss them both if they would exit the eligible ranks. The question is will there be figure skating message boards without Kwan and Cohen? For some reason I just got a mental picture of them as Velma and Roxie in the last scene of the Chicago movie. :rofl:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Piel said:
For some reason I just got a mental picture of them as Velma and Roxie in the last scene of the Chicago movie. :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Oh, my! What a wonderful mental picture! And what a great idea for an exhibition number. Perhaps beginning with the bit of dialogue near the end when Roxie tells Velma that a double act wouldn't work because "I hate you!"; and Velma replies "This is the one business where that doesn't make any difference."
Rave

Hikaru

Final Flight
LOL That would be one heck of a program. (btw, I love the soundtrack of that movie)

As for the forums after Kwan and Cohen, you bet they will still go on, just that it will be with Kimmie Meissner and Katy Taylor. In many magazines is said that they are very good friends, so there you go, the media will find anything to put them on the battle field. :yes:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
/QUOTE]

Yes! I won't go so far as to say I'm sick of Kwan and Cohen, but I can't wait to see the "next generation".

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Does anyone know how old Emily is right now? I know, I know, I can look it up....but I'm sure you've all figured out by now how lazy I am! :)

DG

Emily is 15. She looks exactly like Sarah did before she cut her hair short. I thought the marks were low for such a solid program.

I also was not overly impressed with Kimmie Meisner. Pleasant skate but appeared a bit juniorish, which should have affected her presentation marks but really didn't. I liked Bebe's performance MUCH better. Love the haircut.

Here's what I don't get. First Dick is RAVING over Sasha's performance, calls it sensational. Then Peggy pipes up with something stupid like "She lacked passion" so Dick then changes his tune and agrees with her. What's up with THAT? Does a skater have to make ridiculous faces and fling therself into abandon to be considered passionate? I loved her skate.

I have to admit that we were so tired when we watched the tape of the Ladies SP last night after our night at SOI that we fell asleep during Katy Taylor's skate, so we have to rewatch it plus Michelle's skate.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Maybe I was too harsh on Ms. Messner.........she has potential. At what point do you think, they will stop calling her "Kimmie"? Isn't her name Kimberly or Kim? Sorry to be picky, but Kimmie sounds like a toddler's name........ :p 42

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
show 42 said:
Maybe I was too harsh on Ms. Messner.........she has potential. At what point do you think, they will stop calling her "Kimmie"? Isn't her name Kimberly or Kim? Sorry to be picky, but Kimmie sounds like a toddler's name........ :p 42

Right on! I personally have a very bad reaction to "Kimmie" - I think of the annoying Full House Kimmy right away!

Yana

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
........and Bobby, Billy, Timmy, Willie, and my least favortie, ugh, Mikey......42

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
RealtorGal said:
So does "Johnny." ;)

Johnny's website explains that his dad's name is John so that is why he is called Johnny. I guess it's always better than the Jr. But what is Kimmie's excuse?

Yana

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Emily did fine in her SP. I think she's determined to be a medalist in the future. Her 3/3s are budding. Czisny was the sad one. She fell and boy did they knock her down a lot. Otherwise it was a medalist performance. Of course there was Jenny Kirk and John Kander. She owes him. The Jr gals, Meissner and Taylor were well received at the senior level.

The actual Jr. Men this time around are fantastic. I think the USA will be having top flight Men's Division in the near future. The Junior Women were not at all good.

Again, in Dance, think of Manon and O'Mearer in the future and Orscher and Lucash in Pairs.

Joe

Joe

When B&S turned pro, it made it hard for me to remain interested in pairs skating. After K&O turned pro, ice dance did not interest me for the next few years. I shudder to think about the time when Michelle will not be on the scene. Recently much has been made of the rivalry between Kwan and Cohen and that has made things interesting, or Michelle would not have had any competition at all in the USA. If either one turns pro, it may make things a bit less interesting (not much competition), but if both turn pro at the same time, it may actually open the door for a more equal competition between many talented young ladies.

It will be hard for me to stay interested in the ladies after Michelle retires from eligible skating- at least for some time-, but someone else will come up to fill the gap, I hope. What could make ladies skating more interesting is a lot of top ladies from many countries competing at the top level, and the medals becoming less predictable (the way they are right now).

Vash