Pairs Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I posted these notes/impressions on 3 senior pair free skates that I thought were notable in the early groups... haven't had time to type up any more yet. I really enjoyed Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwig's FS as well (5th place).

Brittany Vise/Nicholas Kole (7th in FS, 8th overall) - "Pirates of the Caribbean." sbs 3toes, throw 3loop, 3twist(bit rough on catch), sbs flying camel to back sit(very close together), lasso lift to star(2 hands), sbs 3toe(she landed, he fell) to 2toe, pair combo spin of camel-sit variation/back camel-upright(pretty fast), BI death spiral, lift(2 hands), throw 3salchow, circular footwork with good speed, spiral sequence, hip to star lift with an early dismount?, BO catchfoot entry into BO death spiral to end.

Brooke Castile/Ben Okolski (8th in FS, 7th overall) - "Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet volume 2." Split 3twist that looked overrotated, throw 3loop, hip star to a position by her with legs together(good speed and ice coverage), BI death spiral(held, with nice back arch by her), straightline footwork-he stumbled and the disruption lasted for about one-third of the sequence, throw 3sal(big), sbs 2sals-he popped, lasso lift with flip out, spiral sequence, sbs camel-sit(cannon)-back sit(pretty good unison), pair spin with decent speed, star lift with flip out(good ice coverage again), BO death spiral, role reversal ending (death?) pose with him being draped over her.

Julian Burns/Themi Leftheris (12th in the FS, 13th overall) - This is a brand new team coached by Peter Oppegard that I enjoyed watching and feel has potential to develop. They had a good free skate to lead off the event and skated to "Gone with the Wind." Split 2twist, sbs 3toe, throw 3sal(landing edge not held long), stag lift(press to one hand, dismount came down on 2 feet), FI death spiral, sbs 3salchows to 2toes, lasso lift to star(looked rather careful), throw 2loop, sbs camel-rise-back sit(got a bit off unison), straightline footwork, neat-looking rotating carry lift, hip star to one arm, spiral sequence, outside spread eagle by him with her upside down, pair spin with nice positions. Burns competed at 2004 Nationals in junior ladies and placed 6th, so their having two different sbs jumps in their FS was not surprising to me -- and both skaters landing them was a nice bonus!