Will Mirai Nagasu return to competition? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Nagasu return to competition?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai was landing 3As with a torn labrum. She landed one in the team event at PY, and after that, there were no more 3A attempts. She placed 10th at 2018 Worlds, where she was dinged for a downgrade on her 3/3 in the SP and for 4 URs in the FS. She had surgery on her hip the following fall.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the main question for Mirai is whether she wants to subject her body to the punishment required to be a top-level, Olympic-eligible competitor. She worked hard to get the 3A and earn a medal at the Olympics. She's already had surgery once (I think) so it is a bit risky to compete, especially given that she's probably already accomplished what she set out to do these last few years.

tryingfish

Rinkside
I think the main question for Mirai is whether she wants to subject her body to the punishment required to be a top-level, Olympic-eligible competitor. She worked hard to get the 3A and earn a medal at the Olympics. She's already had surgery once (I think) so it is a bit risky to compete, especially given that she's probably already accomplished what she set out to do these last few years.

Exactly and I think the answer to that is fairly obvious on all counts. And if she returns the competition will be even harder than it was when she left. The Russian revolution is looking stronger than ever, and the Japanese are far deeper and stronger as a whole than when she left.

Maybe Mirai looked over the competition and said to herself, "Huh! That's all you got?

"Sure, Alysa Liu might win the Jr. Grand Prix Final at age 14 -- so did I!

"Sure, she won Sr. Nationals before she was old enough to go to Worlds --so did I!" :yes:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Mirai returns, it would probably just to see how see does at Nationals, where the competition is fairly weak. If she ended up on the World team, she might even do like Takahashi did and decline. I do think Nationals should be her goal.

halulupu

Final Flight
If Mirai returns, it would probably just to see how see does at Nationals, where the competition is fairly weak. If she ended up on the World team, she might even do like Takahashi did and decline. I do think Nationals should be her goal.
What? Strange theory. If she comes back she wants exposure in order to get some deals. She would be stupid not to world if she qualifies

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So is her goal to have a B or C level entertainment career? Then yes you would be right.
Ouch! That hurts. Remember she was intern at some small television station and she seemed happy getting whatever she could while being on Adam's arm. You can make a fair amount of money being a B or C level entertainment actor.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Mirai was an intern at KABC in Los Angeles, which is one of the biggest television markets in the country. KABC is one of the ABC network's owned-and-operated stations. (And Disney is the parent company.)

In other words: Mirai was not an intern at "some small television station." :noshake:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Regardless a b level skater or whatever she should do what makes her happy. Good for her for continuing to skate and trying. Maybe she could take over for Tara or Johnny one day?

What? Strange theory. If she comes back she wants exposure in order to get some deals. She would be stupid not to world if she qualifies

I don't think so. She is already popular and in demand for shows in USA and Japan. I believe she just got a nice endorsement deal with a cosmetics company. She received a lot of publicity in the last Olympics and she was on Dancing with the Stars.

Realistically, making the Worlds team would be a long shot, and anyway, placing 13th at Worlds would not add any luster to her career. If her goal is just to keep herself somewhat in the public eye, by going to U.S. Nationals, skating well and giving some charming interviews -- I can't find fault with that modest goal.

Plus, if she is not so deadly serious about the adventure, maybe her skating will lose the grim tenseness that she was criticized for in the the latter part of her competitive career.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It would be great if she went to Nationals and skated as if it were an exhibition---her PCS would get a huge hike!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She doesn't have any sort of bye from previous results, right? So she'd likely have to skate sectionals and regionals to qualify?

frida80

Record Breaker
She doesn't have any sort of bye from previous results, right? So she'd likely have to skate sectionals and regionals to qualify?

IF Mirai wants to skate at nationals and does ok at Japan Open, USFS will just give her a fall Challenger that conflicts with sectionals, giving her an automatic bye.