Best Female Skater of the 90s | Golden Skate

Best Female Skater of the 90s

B

BronzeisGolden02

Best Female Skater of the 90s

Alright, Oscar time, who gets your nod for Best Female Performer of a Skating Decade? Again, I will list my frontrunners, if you guys have any to add please feel free.

Jill Trenary
Midori Ito
Kristi Yamaguchi
Tonya Harding
Nancy Kerrigan
Oksana Baiul
Surya Bonaly
Yuka Sato
Chen Lu
Michelle Kwan
Irina Slutskaya
Tara Lipinski
Maria Butirskaya

Well, this is an obvious choice for me. No one has touched me more than Michelle Kwan during this time period. She was so consistent and beautiful to watch, delivering memorable performances one after the other. And, after losing to Tara in 98, she accepted it with grace I could never muster.

1. Michelle Kwan
2. Kristi Yamaguchi (Solid as a rock)
3. Chen Lu (96 Worlds is enough alone!)
4. Midori Ito (WOW!)
5. Oksana Baiul (So beautiful, yet so unstable)
6. Tara Lipinski (So driven)
7. Nancy Kerrigan
8. Yuka Sato
9. Irina Slutskaya (Didn't come to like her until 2000s)
10. Maria Butirskaya (Awesome at 99 Worlds)
11. Surya Bonaly (She tried so hard)
12. Tonya Harding (UUGGH!
*Jill Trenary - Haven't seen enough of her performances to accurately say

S

Show 42

Re: Best Female Skater of the 90s

.......Bronze, I'll go along with your final list, maybe moving Irina up a bit higher in the standings.........42

S

sk8ing lady2001

Michelle Kwan, I say. Woo hoo! :D

K

Kasey

Do we even need a thread for this one? Michelle Kwan of course! She's like the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 70s! All of her major successes have come since 1994 on...

C

CB1AB2

I WOULD NOT PUT TONYA HARDING ON THIS LIST

cb

E

Excidra2001

Here is mine:

1-Midori Itio
2-Kristy Y
3-Irina Slutskaya
4-Michelle kwan
5-Yuka Sato
6-Surya Bonaly
7-Maria Butryskaya
8-Tara Lipinski(She only competed 3 seasons and she was out)
9-Oksana Biaul(Just like Tara)
10-Nancy K

M

mathman444

Can I say Kristi for the decade 1990-2000 and Michelle for the decade 1995-2005?

Mathman

R

rgirl181

Hey, Mathman, you read my mind (or else I just read your post:p ). Actually, I was going to put it slightly differently:
Best Eligible Skater of the 90s: Michelle (no question, even for Mean Ol' Rgirl:lol: )
Best Pro Skater of the 90s: Kristi

Michelle has had/is having a long, great competitive career while Kristi had a comparitively short eligible career, but a long, great pro career. Both great in different ways.

As for the rest, after Michelle and Kristi, here's my list:

Yuka Sato
Midori Ito
Irina Slutskaya (would have her higher except she had that down period from '98 to '00 and then had a great comeback from '00 to '02)
Tara Lipinski
Nancy Kerrigan
Oksana Baiul
Chen Lu
Maria Butryskaya
Surya Bonaly
Jill Trenary
Tonya Harding

After Yuka, Midori, and Irina, I don't have strong feelings about the order of the rest. Some were best in the early 90s, some in the late. Some were great competitors, some were great pros. Some were inconsistent, but when they were on, were incredibly beautiful skaters. I have no problem with Tonya on the list. She got involved in a terrible crime that ended her skating career, but prior to that, especially from 90 to 92, Harding did some great technical skating.
Rgirl

L

lottafs

Michelle Kwan, Tonya Harding, Kristi Yamaguchi.

B

ballerinagrl

Best female skater of the 90's

I think for me, the list would look like this (all very personal preference of course, and I apologise for that in advance!!!!!!!!!)

1. Oksana Baiul
2. Michelle Kwan
3. Chen Lu
4. Irina Slutskaya
5. Kritsi Yamaguchi
6. Midori Ito
7. Surya Bonaly
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Maria Butraskaya

R

RealtorGal

Re: Best female skater of the 90's

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Oh, wow, another thread designed to gush about how great Michelle is. It's been a couple of months since we've had one, so I guess we were about due.</span> :lol:

S

shadair

Re: Best female skater of the 90's

Michelle Kwan - There’s Michelle and then there’s everybody else :lol: Just kidding
Kristi Yamaguchi
Yuka Sato
Jill Trenary
Chen Lu
Irina Slutskaya
Tara Lipinski
Maria Butirskaya
Midori Ito
Oksana Baiul
Surya Bonaly
Nancy Kerrigan
Tonya Harding

After Michelle and Kristi, it’s hard for me to choose until I get to Surya, Nancy and Tonya so the middle of my list is just kind of pick one.