What was the first figure skating program you watched ever? | Golden Skate

What was the first figure skating program you watched ever?

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I don´t know if this has posted before but I think its interasting to know what figure skating program (all categories) you guys saw for the first time in tv or internet.
The first program I watched from ladies category was Yuna Kim free skate at 2014 Sochi and I loved it, I was 14 years old and I remember that it was the only skate I watched because it was the last and it was the first time I saw the winter olympics in tv but I was late :drama: I didn´t know I would like watch figure skating since then.
The first man program I watched was Javier Fernandez free skate at 2016 worlds in Boston on youtube, before that I didnt pay attention to the mens competition but after watch his skate I really enyoyed to follow mens competition :agree:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is harder for some of us:laugh:

The first one I remember watching was Janet Lynn, Afternoon of a Faun, probably 1971, probably US Nats.

Well I know it was Janet and Afternoon of a Faun:)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I remember watching some of 1971 Nationals, but I don't remember Janet Lynn. I specifically remember John Misha Petkevich. I must have only watched the broadcast that showed the men's competition.

That was probably the first.

Then I started skating lessons, so the next programs I would have seen would probably have been by higher level skaters at my rink before I watched on TV again.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I doubt it was the first program i saw... but the one that stuck with me and cause me to be a life time fan was Kristi Yamaguchi's free at the '92 Olympics... it is the earliest memory I have of being allowed to stay up past my bed time for something special. Made an impact.

noskates

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming's Olympic Gold Medal in Grenoble in 1968. I don't even remember who else skated. Just remember that green dress and how graceful she was. Didn't know anything about figure skating.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember watching Scott Allen on a Sunday afternoon in Feb. 1964 at the '64 Olys, where he took the bronze medal. He won that medal 2 days before his 15th birthday. There we were (my mom and I) in front of a black and white TV enjoying the skating!...I have other memories after that of Janet Lynn, Peggy Fleming, Rodnina & Zaitsev , etc., but Scotty is my first memory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Allen_(figure_skater)

Adding -- pretty sure this is what I saw. Oh no, does he really wave to someone (or to the crowd?) during the performance at 4:39?! :laugh2:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-TAAMBS1tfk

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I forgot to say that the first thing I saw related to figure skating in general was that parody where Sasha Cohen fell trough the ice :laugh: I don´t know what was my age at that time I only remember being kid and very concerned about how the people in the video where laughing when I was like "oh my god poor girl, why everyone is laughing? help her!" :laugh::laugh2::laugh2: I saw it in the tv, I was with my mom and she also was laughing! how could she! :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqF4PJYhb60

Edit: Wow is incredible after so many years people still remember or has an idea what was the first skate they saw in theri lifes, I have a real respect for you guys! thats real love for this amazing sport

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I don’t know which of the two, but either Katarina Witt or Brian Boitano’s programs from Calgary ‘88. We had a videotape of a compilation of the ‘88 Games that I played over and over. I didn’t really get into watching figure skating until the second half of the ‘00s, though.

ruga

Final Flight
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - that techno-arabic thing at GPF15. I still think it's the most awesome program ever created.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
Sasha Cohen at 2006 Nationals.

It definitely wasn’t the first time I ever saw skating—for some reason I have a faceless memory of a lady in a white and hot pink dress which must have been in the early 2000s—but I didn’t pay attention to skating or enjoy it before that, and I wouldn’t be able to tell you any names or programs or really anything at all, except for that one costume.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Plushenko's legendary Nijinsky :) he made me fall in love with the sport.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's long enough ago that it's hard to be sure exactly which came first, but it was either Torvill and Dean (probably the Paso Doble) or Katarina Witt at the 1984 Olympics - the Olympics being about the only time skating was even shown on Australian TV back then.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Bolero by Torvill and Dean in some BBC clip show about Christmas. They played the whole thing. To many in the uk T&D are the only figure skaters they know of.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko's legendary Nijinsky :) he made me fall in love with the sport.

My favourite program ever!! I still remember the first time I came across it, I was in awe.

I'm not entirely sure which figure skating program I saw first... Although Surya B's backflip in Nagano sticks in my mind.

In regards to a full program, I definitely remember Michelle Kwan's Ex to Field of Gold at Salt Lake City because I thought it was kind of awkward since she didn't get gold.

I certainly recall the Pairs bruhahaha at Salt Lake, but I don't remember watching any of the programs.

Suze

Rinkside
My first memory (the one that has stuck with me) is watching Michelle Kwan in a light blue dress skating what I thought then was the bestest and greatest and perfectest thing ever at the 98 olympics... only to lose the gold to Tara a mere moments later. My heart got stuck in my throat. I couldn’t breathe. How could judges be SO cruel and unwise. And not just the figure skating ones... why wasn’t god doing anything? As the coldness of the black-and-white kitchen tiles seeped upward into my bare feet and soul, I decided I hated Tara and figure skating and those stupid judges in a way my 14 year old heart had never hated before.

And that was how I got into figure skating.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably Peggy Fleming from the 1968 Grenoble Olympics. The chartreuse dress. Apart from that? - ABC's black & white coverage of Wide World of Sports.