San Diego Stars On Ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

San Diego Stars On Ice

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
You can post any photos you like, but I'm telling you that in San Diego, Sarah did not present a flattering vision on the ice. She could hardly jump off it.

IDLERACER

Medalist
RealtorGal said:
You can post any photos you like, but I'm telling you that in San Diego, Sarah did not present a flattering vision on the ice.
Ah, a classic example of why they don't call the two genders "opposite sexes" for nothing. You seem to be having trouble figuring out why men find Sarah Hughes attractive, for the exact same reason I seem to be having trouble figuring out what women see in Johnny Weir. :biggrin:

eliza88

On the Ice
Johnny Weir is quite attractive in person, much more so than on TV--now he's no tall dark hunk like tennis star Marat Safin (wow!) but that's a different story!

I hope Sarah is able to get her triples back--trim or plump I'd love to see some good skating from her. She does have a dazzling smile!

Thanks for the great SOI review!

eliza88

IDLERACER

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
Idle, that's not a flattering picture of Sarah. It looks like she has a big balloon in her top
No, it looks like she has two big balloons in her top, and I find it flattering. :p So there.

dmr65

On the Ice
I went to the St. Paul MN show, and thought Sarah was s doll... Yes she's pretty thick in areas, so what But I have to ask.... Are most of us women or even few men who are critiquing her body in a negative way, victims of self imposed hate brought on by the fashion/movie industry? I think the fashion and movie industry has brain washed us into believing, if you are not tiny, petite or very thin in weight, have pretty teeth, blonde hair and blue eyes... You are not worthy or attractive/sexy. I am a victim it from age five. ( I didn't know I allowed myself to fall victim until I was so far up in my 20's) I notice some fans are swarming around certain female skaters who are so cute, petite and angelic looking, and never seem to mention if that skater has all of what it takes to be successful.. Some of them don't have what it takes... I'll digress. Anyway. I, myself, had to throw out the comments made about Sarah, because it was petty, and I knew where the source of this negativity was coming from.. It starts early in life, we are sumbliminally told from generations of people who want to keep this facade of what a women of worth or attractiveness is. She should be cute/petite, not too thin<> better thin than not, gorgeous hair, skin to die for, blah blah blah and just look helplessly angelic/soft and gentle forever. :cool: I am so proud of the younger generation of females who are thick in build/ gorgeous voluptuous women who are coming out with so much sparkle, sensuality and just over all balanced self love, that I could cry with shame on how I looked at myself..I am one of those not so lean build women, who is just starting to love and see the beauty in herself and others.. I see the inner and outer beauty of others, regardless of shape, size, religion or color... đź‘Ť Everyone has the right to their own taste, but some of the comments I've been reading around the net about this dear sweety are questionable..

Back to the subject... I enjoyed her, and loved her second program of the night. She has the most cute sincere smile and personality.. SOI this season :rock:

Denise... ;)

Last edited:

Lucy25

Final Flight
This has nothing to do with Sarah being just a female. She is an athlete. Right now her body shape does not seem to be in the condition an athlete's body needs to be in to be able to do the athletic feats necessary to be successful (in that sport). Any athlete who appears out of shape for his/her sport is going to be talked about. This has nothig to do with society's idealized views of a woman's body. If cute and sincere smiles and personalities were all that it took for a woman (or any athlete) to make it in sports, then that "sport" becomes a joke.

Linny

Final Flight
Getting better

Methinks that things re female body image are getting better. Take, for example, the fact that Sarah got hired... the marketing people were apparently comfortable with her ability to sell tickets, even without triple jumps. One other note: current fashion allows tummy exposure... and not every tummy we see in ads, in television, in movies, or just walking down the street is the 6-pack kind of tummy that we say on Cher 10 years ago.

As far as understanding the guy viewpoint, I've got my very own guy who will volunteer his viewpoint pretty much anytime with no prompting (lol). My dear husband says he prefers Sarah in her current form.

Linny

euterpe

Medalist
The fact is as an athlete, Sarah is VERY out of shape and is unable to perform the moves that made her an Olympic champion. Part of the reason why she is out of shape is that she is much, much heavier than she was back in 2002, and that she stopped skating altogether for a very long time.

Many people who have been to SOI have reported that they were very disappointed, that they were expecting the SLC Sarah with her dazzling jumps, and instead they saw a Sarah they didn't even recognize and who couldn't seem to keep up with the other skaters in the show. Moreover, all the other women in the show are slim and trim, and Sarah sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think people wouldn't care so much about Sarah's weight IF she was able to skate reasonably well, but that is not the case. She has just two double jumps, and she can barely clear the ice. She has difficulty keeping up with the other skaters in the group numbers.

It seems incomprehensible to me that Sarah is still talking about returning to eligible competition. That just isn't possible. She would not be competitive with novice skaters, let alone the top seniors. If Sarah finds she can't return to eligible skating, her contract with SOI was originally only for one year. She could probably renew for next season, but after that, SOI would be looking to sign the new Olympic champion or any of the top ladies retiring at the end of the year. If Sarah hasn't gotten her jumps back by then, she could be out of a job.

IDLERACER

Medalist
Linny said:
Methinks that things re female body image are getting better. One other note: current fashion allows tummy exposure... and not every tummy we see in ads, in television, in movies, or just walking down the street is the 6-pack kind of tummy that we say on Cher 10 years ago.As far as understanding the guy viewpoint, I've got my very own guy who will volunteer his viewpoint pretty much anytime with no prompting (lol). My dear husband says he prefers Sarah in her current form.
So do I. And I also find THIS picture of José Chouinard to be very sexy. :love:

dmr65

On the Ice
Lucy25 said:
This has nothing to do with Sarah being just a female. She is an athlete. Right now her body shape does not seem to be in the condition an athlete's body needs to be in to be able to do the athletic feats necessary to be successful (in that sport). Any athlete who appears out of shape for his/her sport is going to be talked about. This has nothig to do with society's idealized views of a woman's body. If cute and sincere smiles and personalities were all that it took for a woman (or any athlete) to make it in sports, then that "sport" becomes a joke.

My comment is in regards to Sarah's skating with SOI, the comments made about her shape/weight in other places and here on the net. Not her returning to competition.. If she were returning to competition, I would understand and digress.. But most of the fan comments I've been reading in other places, some have a problem with her looks out there skating with SOI.. ( went off topic a bit and made comments how some fans have this perception of what they like a skater to look like based on certain industries). SOI are skaters entertaining in their best quality, not competing for a competition. (her shape or weight is not affecting her performance) The young lady did a mighty fine job out there entertaining us.. I didn't go looking for doubles, triples and so on... :)

P.S I am aware of Sarah and the possibility of returning to amateurs. ;)

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:

Well when an actress is hired to do an action movie, usually the movie studio will hire a personal trainer and dietician to get that actress in shape. SOI hired Sarah knowing that she hadn't skated in over a year and presumably saw what she looked like before she signed the contract. If SOI cared about their show, they would have hired a personal trainer to whip Sarah into shape. But obviously they don't really care how Sarah skates as long as they have the ladies OGM to market their show. It's the same thing they did with Tara after her OGM and then when the girl gets injured and worsens her injury by returning to the tour too soon (spiting doctor's orders), SOI treats her as a pariah. I sure hope they don't do the same with Sarah as well.