Ladies and the triple Axel | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies and the triple Axel

ruga

Final Flight
I think we should just call it by official name. Less confusion for everyone as this term is not really common outside Russia. For now most posts are about the use of term 'trixel', not about current ladies trying or landing this incredibly difficult jump.

And since we're here, I think the reason why English speakers never shorten the name is because it sounds very nice. Both words are of similar length and both end in 'L'. 'Trixel' somehow sounds even harsher.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't get why people are so outraged here because a poster dared to use a russian word. It may be a made up word but russians are useing it in articles and forums pretty often to discuss this particular jump. I mean flutz, another made up word used pretty often on this forum, sounds funny and weird to us non native english speakers. I searched for his meaning and didn't make a fuss about it. Plus, the thread's title contains the actual name of the jump so I don't understand why people are so hung up on this word.

Now to the actual discussion. I'm curious if Alena said something in her interviews before and after the test skate about training the 3A curently. And what is Sasha's situation with this jump. Also, did Akatieva learn 3A in Eteri's group?

Because it's not proper and disrespects the sport. No one else calls it this, not even my former Russian coaches.

That is the point. IDC if one likes it or not, you say this around a figure skater, esp of elite status and they will laugh at you or roll their eyes and more than likely consider you don't know what you're talking about. It's just rude to call a jump some name that's non-existent. It pokes fun at all the sacrifices and work it takes to get to the level that many here like to talk about and claim to be fans of. Respect the sport or don't watch.

And IDK why the other side of this keeps saying "outrage" there is no outrage. It's just those of us that dislike seeing things wrongly stated. Nothing more, nothing less.

A-n-y-w-a-y I think we owe the thread starter (Edwin) the courtesy of a discussion of his topic.

If you compare the relative advantages of training a triple Axel versus a quad, one consideration is this. You must do an Axel jump in both the short and the long programs. If you can do a triple Axel, that fulfills the requirement while racking up big points.

If you have a quad but not a triple Axel, then you must do a double Axel, with a base value of only 3.3.

With a triple Axel you can sneak in an extra triple jump instead, making up for the difference in points between a triple Axel and a quad.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
With a triple Axel you can sneak in an extra triple jump instead, making up for the difference in points between a triple Axel and a quad.

This makes me think about how a lot of the women who do/did the 3A weren't necessarily the best at executing reliable 3-3's, skaters such as Mao, Mirai, Tonya, etc. So, in theory, it's advantageous to be able to do the 3A and a 3-3 in the SP, but it's challenging for a lot of skaters to do both. Conversely, most of the women who do quads also have great 3-3 elements, so a lot of these women won't end up too far behind after the SP unless a talent like Rika nails everything, and then those with quads can more than make up the difference in the LP.

pohatta

On the Ice
If you compare the relative advantages of training a triple Axel versus a quad, one consideration is this. You must do an Axel jump in both the short and the long programs. If you can do a triple Axel, that fulfills the requirement while racking up big points.

Tuktamysheva's 2015 Worlds was a good example, she had an eight point lead in the SP because of her 3A. Yes she won the LP too but that was arguably because Gold and Wagner (2nd and 3rd in the LP) skated in the penultimate group.

tokoyami

On the Ice
You're talking to one here. And I'm not the only one.

My point was more than if you were to say this around one or anyone for that matter in skating they're going to look at you like you have two heads, but if you want to do that then be my guest, I'm not the one looking ridiculous.

oh you were an elite figure skater? do you have any videos or anything of when you used to compete? what's the highest competitive level you attained? genuinely asking

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… As far as i know there has been only one prominent American Indian figure skater. Naomi Lang's (four-time U.S. ice dance champion ) father was a member of the Karuk Tribe. ...

I'm going off topic again :devil:, but your post got me wondering.

FWIW, seems that:
Mabel Fairbanks had a Seminole Indian grandmother.
And Tai Babilonia is partly Hopi Indian.

readernick

Medalist
Are we really arguing about names, when three ladies landed 3As today and yesterday?

Indeed. Rika's 3A yesterday was one the most lovely axels I have ever seen in competition. The judges agreed and she received a total of 11.04 points for that one jump. (Which I think proves the value of the 3A )

Elizaveta and Young You (new member of the 3A club--although it is not official yet due to the negative GOE) also landed 3A. However, neither one was of the same quality as Rika's 3A. It is pretty awesome that we have at least 3 ladies going for the 3A in the short this season. (I suspect that Ayaka Hosada will also put it into her program if she is given the opportunity to compete abroad) Is anyone else going to put a 3A in her short program this year?

skatenewbie

Medalist
We could officially say Young You as the 10th female skater to landed 3A. She did have negative GOE but it was fully rotated!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Now the linguistic and orthographic dissection and hair cleaving has been performed, isn't it time to list the successful competed triple Axels of the new season?

Who did them, how were they, could they be improved, better utilised in another part of the skater's routine, and interesting discussion topics like these.