Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ladies and the Triksel (Triple Axel)

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    If you compare the relative advantages of training a triple Axel versus a quad, one consideration is this. You must do an Axel jump in both the short and the long programs. If you can do a triple Axel, that fulfills the requirement while racking up big points.
    Tuktamysheva's 2015 Worlds was a good example, she had an eight point lead in the SP because of her 3A. Yes she won the LP too but that was arguably because Gold and Wagner (2nd and 3rd in the LP) skated in the penultimate group.

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    You're talking to one here. And I'm not the only one.

My point was more than if you were to say this around one or anyone for that matter in skating they're going to look at you like you have two heads, but if you want to do that then be my guest, I'm not the one looking ridiculous.
    oh you were an elite figure skater? do you have any videos or anything of when you used to compete? what's the highest competitive level you attained? genuinely asking

On the Ice

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    Yes, I was. Senior Worlds and multiple disciplines btw. There are videos out there.
    okay that's cool i was also an elite top skater who went to worlds

avatar credit: @miyan5605 ice coverage's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    … As far as i know there has been only one prominent American Indian figure skater. Naomi Lang's (four-time U.S. ice dance champion ) father was a member of the Karuk Tribe. ...
    I'm going off topic again , but your post got me wondering.

FWIW, seems that:
    Mabel Fairbanks had a Seminole Indian grandmother.
    And Tai Babilonia is partly Hopi Indian.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dante View Post
    Does "Quacksel" sound too cutesy/sexist/quacky to anyone?
    I literally use that “word” all the time when speaking about the elusive quad axel.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tokoyami View Post
    okay that's cool i was also an elite top skater who went to worlds

you do realize he's not joking right

Tripping on the Podium VenusHalley's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Are we really arguing about names, when three ladies landed 3As today and yesterday?

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by VenusHalley View Post
    Are we really arguing about names, when three ladies landed 3As today and yesterday?
    Indeed. Rika's 3A yesterday was one the most lovely axels I have ever seen in competition. The judges agreed and she received a total of 11.04 points for that one jump. (Which I think proves the value of the 3A )

Elizaveta and Young You (new member of the 3A club--although it is not official yet due to the negative GOE) also landed 3A. However, neither one was of the same quality as Rika's 3A. It is pretty awesome that we have at least 3 ladies going for the 3A in the short this season. (I suspect that Ayaka Hosada will also put it into her program if she is given the opportunity to compete abroad) Is anyone else going to put a 3A in her short program this year?

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    We could officially say Young You as the 10th female skater to landed 3A. She did have negative GOE but it was fully rotated!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    If you are discussing ladies and their triple Axels, this is your thread.

If you want to discuss what to call various jumps, that conversation was moved to te following thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...=1#post2455356

Alyona Kostornaya - skating off into the unknown.. Edwin's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Now the linguistic and orthographic dissection and hair cleaving has been performed, isn't it time to list the successful competed triple Axels of the new season?

Who did them, how were they, could they be improved, better utilised in another part of the skater's routine, and interesting discussion topics like these.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by skatenewbie View Post
    We could officially say Young You as the 10th female skater to landed 3A. She did have negative GOE but it was fully rotated!
    It was, but her free leg might have come down too soon for it to be ratified. I don't have any doubts that she'll land a totally clean one soon.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    LOL! I was just going to post that it reminded me of that OGM winner Triksi Schuba. And everyone knows, don't they, that Triks are for kids?
    OT, but Trixi Schuba showed up on my FB People I Might Know list!!! We have 8 friends in common. lol

0 Not allowed!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbdNAD4FU6Q
    Liu executed 3A+2T and 3A today in her free in Gdansk.
    However, what I can't help but notice - is very clear example of "cheated take off" jump. I meant 3A+2T combo which was clean in protocol but in fact should be 3A+2T<< or 3A+1A+SEQ Here is pic proofs
    https://ibb.co/YZBQb46
    https://ibb.co/fMtBRPd
    https://ibb.co/MPfXrkW
    https://ibb.co/BTCmTN3
    https://ibb.co/st0cFxb

She didn't any prerotation at all. Instead she did little step over like Euler and begin her toe jump facing forward already, without any prerotation - stealing half turn from a jump. It's textbook example of "cheated take off" which is also known as "toe axel". I always said and continue to do so that this rule
    A clear forward (backward for Axel type jump) take-off will be considered as a
    downgraded jump. The toe loop is the most commonly cheated on take-off jump.
    The TP may only watch the replay in regular speed to determine the cheat and
    downgrade on the take off (more often in combinations or sequences).
    has nothing to do with prerotation. It was clearly meant for such cases and for such cases only. Which would be hard to admit for many established "pure jumps" advocates, I suppose

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    For Alysa’s FS I also noticed the cheated 2T on the 3A+2T... that type of takeoff where the skater picks in as they are facing forwards is what the rules likely equate to a “cheated takeoff” (and not rotation of a takeoff pick on the ice that many are hung up on for flips and lutzes). That toe axel though was pretty obvious, and she had to resort to it because of the skid on the axel landing.

That said, congrats to Alysa for more milestones (first woman to do a 3A+3T in the SP; first woman to do a quad and two triple axels in a FS). I also roll my eyes hard at those still complaining about her 55 PCS being too high. I thought it should have been just below 60 - her expression needs work, but there are solid transitions into and out of her elements and her performance quality is improving.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    For Alysa’s FS I also noticed the cheated 2T on the 3A+2T... that type of takeoff where the skater picks in as they are facing forwards is what the rules likely equate to a “cheated takeoff” (and not rotation of a takeoff pick on the ice that many are hung up on for flips and lutzes). That toe axel though was pretty obvious, and she had to resort to it because of the skid on the axel landing.

That said, congrats to Alysa for more milestones (first woman to do a 3A+3T in the SP; first woman to do a quad and two triple axels in a FS). I also roll my eyes hard at those still complaining about her 55 PCS being too high. I thought it should have been just below 60 - her expression needs work, but there are solid transitions into and out of her elements and her performance quality is improving.
    That was indeed a cheated 2 toe but the judges gave her negative GOE, as they should.

I actually agree that 55 PCS is too low, her SS need work (she is visibly improving each competition) but I think the other PCS categories deserve to be higher. I am fine with Tarakanova and Tomoe having higher PCS, but I am not fine with Vasilieva being higher than all three of them.

Alyona Kostornaya - skating off into the unknown.. Edwin's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    And another triksel was premiered in Russian Cup 1st Stage among women,
    Slow and cautious, and <, but a Triksel from Kseniya Ivanova, a very slender looking skater from Megasport Club in Moscow.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123