Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gotta Do It - US Nationals Rusty Hanger Awards

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Awesome!!!!

Ravyn Rant said:
...that could have been written for this thread. A couple things first - Nationals cured me of the writer's block I've had since the election, and I was up waaaay too late last night writing four figure-skating themed parodies. Yes! I was HEALED! by figure skating. The other three will post on amiright.com tomorrow morning, but as this one fits really well into the costume thread, I can post it here, too. It's sung to the tune of "Happy Together" by The Turtles, and it's called "Costume of Pleather":

Oh I can jump and spin, on ice
And think that I look just as cool as Michael Weiss
A medal and a six-point-oh would sure be nice
In costume of pleather

If I were on the street, people would stare
But when I skate I feel just like Brian Joubert
I look up on the podium, see myself there
In costume of pleather

Dance and leap and try not to fall on my face
In clothes that squeak
I won't skate in sequins or fishnet or lace
'Cause I'd look weak!

Vinyl, mesh, some PVC
Go shirtless so the little girls will scream at me
I'll watch them throw their teddy bears at manly me
In costume of pleather

Bet you wonder how I can do a big split
In such tight pants
People love me even when I skate like (an amateur)
Just ask in France!

Watch me skate, hey look at me
I'll double-foot the biggest jumps you'll ever see
Dick Button loves my slash-and-burn vitality
In costume of pleather
My costume of pleather
I borrowed from Heather
Her costume of pleather...

PS - one of the others is a parody of Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla", called "Dick Button". Scroll through the new submissions tomorrow at www.amiright.com, if you dare... :laugh:
xoxo,
Rave
Can't wait to check out the other ones after the meeting I'm running off too!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Some of the worst costumes weren't televised: locals Palme & Stucke in the FD, dancing to Sarah Brightman's "Harem" (UGH), where he wore a full-length brown costume, in which the legs were made into harem pants -- thin, like a bad Halloween costume, and not even full-fledged Rudolf Valentino harem pants. (UGH). Rey/Rey took the Dance prize: over illusion fabric on one side, she had something that looked like a bra cup over one one breast, in white, with a white tassel hanging from it, and he wore an oversized tuxedo jacket with wide vertical stripes. Matthews/Zavozin's "Lord of the Dance" costumes were pretty awful, but they didn't compare to her pop-art OD costume. I don't like the flapper theme much, anyway, but Gregory's day glo hot pink dress was pretty gaudy. On the whole, though, it was a pretty weak competition for bad dance costumes; most of them were quite straightforward.

Among the Ladies, the worst costume IMO was one of Chanelle Noji's (can't remember if it was long or short). Halter dresses look silly on shortish, stocky girls with breasts; instead of giving her a waist, her shape was like a lava lamp. I didn't like either of Kwan's dresses, although the SP dress fit her theme better. It wasn't that the gold dress was tasteless; it gives her no shape. I think Corwin's gold and magenta dress is tacky, although the design suits her, and it could be rendered very well. As much as I thought Cohen's pink LP dress looked like it came out of a high school dance recital catalog -- albeit the expensive catalog -- at least most of her designs try to give her a shape.

I wish Evan Lysacek would give up all the sparkly sequins. It's overkill, particularly when he has flashy choroography. He could use color instead of sparkle. Live, Weiss' shirt looks like a nice, innocuous, colorful pattern, but the hardware could go.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Hockeyfan!!

I love the post event Rusty Hanger discussions (snarky me, right??) so I love your colorful descriptions of worthy Rusty Hanger contendors that we did not get the joy of seeing ourselves.

:laugh:

DG

2ndmark

Rinkside
euterpe said:
I loved Kimmie's SP costume,QUOTE]

TOTALLY agree. Her SP costume was EXQUISITE. Also agree about her make-up, but surely that will be refined with maturity and experience. Further agree with whoever said Michelle's make-up could have had more color.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Ther are any number of ladies costumes that would be wonderful if they would actually cover the skaters BUTT. I am tired of skating panties! Michelle's was the worst because it would not fall back down with the help of gravity. Jenny's was even white. BeBe's was up & down. I saw one pairs female that had weights on her skirt. I think it was a brilliant idea! More technical moves & less ***. Please :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with the butt showing as long as it is covered with the panty, after all that is part of the costume too. Please with all of the crotch shots in ice dance a little gluteus maximus never hurt anyone.

sk8addict

On the Ice
doesn't hurt

Piel said:
I don't have a problem with the butt showing as long as it is covered with the panty, after all that is part of the costume too. Please with all of the crotch shots in ice dance a little gluteus maximus never hurt anyone.
Oh it doesn't hurt but it does distract from the artistry. Hard to watch the footwork If you're wondering if that dress is ever going down. The usfsa did just come up with a new dress code this year and said ladies must wear a skit & not wear pants, men must wear pants & not tights and that dancers must be modestly dressed, after Gregory flashed her boob at us in Dallas. I guess a little boob never hurt anyone either. It might have boosted the ratings if straight men had heard about it: Maybe we could have seen short programs this year :cry:

Last edited:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Piel said:
Something tells me that after the exhibitions air this weekend, everyone contributing to this thread is going to have a field day with Jenny Kirk's outfit. Click HERE to get a preview of a major contender in the wedgie competition. :cool:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Wedgies

How can these ladies JUMP with the fabric bunched up into their butts like that? Seems to me it'd drive you nuts. I am just WAITING for the day when during a pause or a slow section, one of these ladies takes advantage of it to hike their undies down a little.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
LOL Idle...

IDLERACER said:
Something tells me that after the exhibitions air this weekend, everyone contributing to this thread is going to have a field day with Jenny Kirk's outfit. Click HERE to get a preview of a major contender in the wedgie competition. :cool:
Guess we may have been premature in assuming Rena was a shoo in for the Wedgie Award!!

DG

ExoticFlower

Spectator
costumes

nubka said:
With her skin tone and dark hair, Michelle would look much more stunning in silver, as opposed to the ever-prresent gold.

Yes, but it matched her medal :agree:

Liked the color on Sasha's LP dress, though it looked too childish for someone who's trying to step it up and compete with the 'big ladies' (though she's not exactly young herself in skating terms anymore).

Michelle's LP dress...I liked the design *gasp* But not the color. IA she needs a new color...I would've loved a true scarlet for the LP dress and something...silver? White? for the SP dress. Liked the SP dress though.

I wish she'd get a new designer...Vera Wang is good, but her outfits haven't really done much the past few seasons...Loved Michelle's Salome outfit...Wonder who created that?

Hated Johnny's shredded wheat costume...And that guy with the matrix-like outfit? Did he steal that from Joubert or what?

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
JonnyCoop said:
A little makeup wouldn't hurt. Who Kimmie reminded me of was Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who was the "kid brother" on 3rd Rock From The Sun, in drag.

:rofl:

I knew she looked familar.

brenlynn

On the Ice
i loved all of jenny kirk's outfits... SP, LP, and exhibition! they are all gorgeous! :agree:

Suzy

On the Ice
GlitterTwist said:
Johnny's LP costume I actually liked until I really started looking at it. But on the ice I think it has a really nice effect and worked with the music.

Johnny could go out there buck naked and still look fantastic IMO :rofl:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
heyang said:
I'd like to see MK dressed in something by Jeff Billings.
I believe Jeff designed Michelle's 1999 "Ariane" LP dress. I thought it was a stunner and one of her best.

mpal2

Final Flight
The absolute worst dressed has to go to one of John Baldwin's practice outfits. It's a velvet pantsuit that shows way too much. :disapp: I had to stop taking pictures of that pairs group because I don't want that immortalized forever. A profile view was a bad, bad thing. Put it away John...

Now, if that had been some of the other skaters at Nationals that week, I might have been more interested. :laugh: :cool:

Best improved...When did Matt Savoie become sexy? He just looked fine all week. :yes:

I wanted to be the first to mention what Peggy Fleming had on at the exhibition broadcast -- but then that was totally blown out of the water by Dick Button's bow tie!

MM

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Tiffanie Stiegler's red dress was gorgeous, perfection :love: !