Take A Look At These Photographs! | Golden Skate

Take A Look At These Photographs!

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'm not sure if these will show up on everyone's computer or not, but I've recently gotten into exploring the Los Angeles City Library's photo database. For those of you who are from Southern California, these pictures will be fascinating, and even if you're not, it's still interesting to get a glimpse of what skating was like during the first half of the 20th century, in a city where it never snows. The first photo is the saddest. It's of the Polar Palace (where I skated for the first time) going down in flames in the mid 60s. What I find really mindblowing is the rink that was apparently on Gayley Avenue in Westwood at one time. I believe that that area is now occupied by the Veteran's administration cemetery:

The Polar Palace Burns Down
A Skating Rink In Westwood Village 1939
Construciton Of The Westwood Ice Rink 1938
Skating At The Pan Pacific Auditorium 1939
Skating At The Pan Pacific Auditorium #2
A Concession Stand For The Skaters
Ice Capades At The Pan Pacific
Ice Capades At The Pan Pacific #2
A Wedding on ice 1929
Let Me Help You With Your Skates
Bill Shipstad, 1949
Sonja Henie & Tyrone Power
Peggy Fleming, age 14

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing these! This is one of my favorite eras in history. Of course I am sure it is apparent by my avatar as to who my favorite ice skater is. ;)

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Idle-great old pictures especially the one of Peggy.
"The Wedding On Ice"- The wedding isn't on ice they are on roller skates.

IDLERACER

Medalist
dlkksk8fan said:
The wedding isn't on ice they are on roller skates.
I noticed that after I posted it. That's what I get for not being more specific. I only typed "Skating" into the search engine, and didn't look carefully enough. :banging:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Idle, those are priceless. Loved the car in the first picture, do you know if it's a ford?

Dee

IDLERACER

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
Idle, those are priceless. Loved the car in the first picture, do you know if it's a ford? Dee
I'm not sure, but I believe that's an old convertible Mercury Monarch