When to move on from Jackson Mystique Skates | Golden Skate

When to move on from Jackson Mystique Skates

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
So my friend from skating asked for my advice yesterday but I wasn't quite sure...
She's working on her single lutzs and axels and in terms of spins, I think she's doing like Bielmanns and hair cutters, but the thing is, she's got Jakson Mystique Skates with the fitted blade, Jackson's Ultima Mark II.
Would you recommend that she gets some new more advanced skates and blades in order to continue to improve?
Thanks for your help!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yes, she should have upgraded long ago. If she's working on Axels, she should be in at least Debuts. Also, the stiffness ratings are mostly made with kids/teens in mind, so if she's taller or heavier, she might need even stiffer than Debuts. For blades, I'm around her level (on jumps, my spins are pitiful), and Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the ones I'm looking at. There are others, but I don't know much about them.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
OP: I guess it's a testament to your friend's skills that she's been able to accomplish so much with relatively low-end recreational skates. But, I assume she's been working with a coach to reach the level that she has; is that correct? If so, her coach has not asked her to upgrade her equipment much earlier?

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Yes, she should have upgraded long ago. If she's working on Axels, she should be in at least Debuts. Also, the stiffness ratings are mostly made with kids/teens in mind, so if she's taller or heavier, she might need even stiffer than Debuts. For blades, I'm around her level (on jumps, my spins are pitiful), and Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the ones I'm looking at. There are others, but I don't know much about them.
This is helpful, thank you!

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
OP: I guess it's a testament to your friend's skills that she's been able to accomplish so much with relatively low-end recreational skates. But, I assume she's been working with a coach to reach the level that she has; is that correct? If so, her coach has not asked her to upgrade her equipment much earlier?
Yes, she does work with a coach, but she's been stuck doing the same things for ages and hasn't improved recently, I think its because of her skates. I think her coach has advised upgrading her skates and blades, however her parents are disagreeing because of the expense [emoji51] but I guess figure skating is an expensive sport and at the end of the day, your skates need to be supportive enough

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yes, she does work with a coach, but she's been stuck doing the same things for ages and hasn't improved recently, I think its because of her skates. I think her coach has advised upgrading her skates and blades, however her parents are disagreeing because of the expense [emoji51] but I guess figure skating is an expensive sport and at the end of the day, your skates need to be supportive enough

It'll cost more in the long run to keep paying for lessons where she isn't improving because her skates are holding her back.

Unfortunately, figure skates are not something you can really save money on. If you go for something less expensive rather than exactly what you need, it'll cost more in the long run.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
It'll cost more in the long run to keep paying for lessons where she isn't improving because her skates are holding her back.

Unfortunately, figure skates are not something you can really save money on. If you go for something less expensive rather than exactly what you need, it'll cost more in the long run.
Yeah, I agree, thanks for your help! : )

Ducky

On the Ice

Well, the last thing you want is for your friend to break or sprain an ankle because her boots have broken down and can't fully support her during jumps... That alone might help convince her parents to deal with the cost of upgrading.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Well, the last thing you want is for your friend to break or sprain an ankle because her boots have broken down and can't fully support her during jumps... That alone might help convince her parents to deal with the cost of upgrading.
Good point

Nimyue

On the Ice

Your skates are the cheapest part of skating. If you add up ice costs, coaching of a year, it's waaaaaaay more than a pair of skates. So even if you get a new $1k pair of skates every year, it's still cheaper than the ice and coaching.

sk8kirsty

On the Ice
Your skates are the cheapest part of skating. If you add up ice costs, coaching of a year, it's waaaaaaay more than a pair of skates. So even if you get a new $1k pair of skates every year, it's still cheaper than the ice and coaching.
Yeah, that's true actually!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Your friend needed stiffer boots and better quality blades awhile ago. An injury from wearing the wrong boots/blades is not worth it.