Mid-routine costume changes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mid-routine costume changes

ruga

Final Flight
Costume changes help to increase the effect of music change, especially when there are two unrelated pieces like in Anna's program. I feel like Aliona will get it as well, because her program has vastly different music pieces. Alina won't need any as the entirety of her free program is skated to music with similar vibe and theme.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Mid-Routine Costume Changes?

How do you feel about skaters doing a mid-routine "costume change"?

Here is Scherbakova changing her dress in the middle of her program.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B31C5hPnYDX/

Gilles/Poirier had a costume change of sorts when Piper pulled Paul's sleeves down to reveal ruffles.

Do you think its a cool idea or do you think it detracts from the program? What are some notable costume changes from the past?

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Costume changes are fine in exhibitions but a distraction in competition.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Fine if it's not an elaborate piece of work. Scherbakova's is basically instantaneous, enhances her presentation, and gets a pop fro the crowd, so I think it's great.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I liked it for Laurine’s “Grease” program, since a costume change was right in line with what the Sandy character did in the movie. But it seems to be getting overworked for this season.

VegMom

On the Ice
I think it's totally fine and adds interest and excitement. Plus they can fit with music changes or help delineate different parts of the program.

medoroa

On the Ice
I liked it for Laurine’s “Grease” program, since a costume change was right in line with what the Sandy character did in the movie. But it seems to be getting overworked for this season.

Yes, I like campy and fun ones like hers. Dmitriev Sr ripping away a piece of costume to reveal a bleeding heart -- also dramatic and fun :laugh:

I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova's work. Trusova's isn't particularly noticeable and while Shcherbakova's red dress is pretty I feel like it's mostly used to distract from the jarring music cut.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm pretty neutral on them. This is a novelty trick, which can add a tiny bit of fun to a program. Costume changes should have no positive effect on PCS, imo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't really care... they are not doing much to impress me ..... i think skaters should rely on their skating to convey their music ;)

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes, I like campy and fun ones like hers. Dmitriev Sr ripping away a piece of costume to reveal a bleeding heart -- also dramatic and fun :laugh:

I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova's work. Trusova's isn't particularly noticeable and while Shcherbakova's red dress is pretty I feel like it's mostly used to distract from the jarring music cut.

If that's the case, how many costume changes would Zagitova have had last year with her Phantom SP? :laugh2: