Blisters on Bunion Area | Golden Skate

Blisters on Bunion Area

IceJen48

Spectator
I'm skating in Jackson Premiere Fusions, had them punched out in the bunion area and heat molded. I've still been getting small blisters in my bunions which start to hurt after an hour or so after jumps/spins. I do tend to go on my toe pick more when I'm skating, which makes the pain worse.

My boots fit great everywhere else, but can anyone suggest anything for preventing blisters in that area? I also had the same problem with my old SP Teri's. Has anyone tried toe spacers, moleskin or bunion pads?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
(Ignore this part if you know this already, I don't mean to assume that you don't: ) If you don't skate in tights or skating socks (or barefoot), it might help to try that. Thicker socks can cause all manner of blisters and other problems for anyone from adults with bunions to little kids.

By go on your toe pick more, do you mean toe-pushing/leaning too forward? If you can stop, that will be good for the pain and for your skating skills. :) I know that's easier said than done, though.

Bunga might make some kind of bunion pads or some other kind of gel pad that could work.

IceJen48

Spectator
Yes, I have skated with thin pantyhose material trouser socks. I just recently ordered the Colorflow microfiber skating socks which are a bit thicker. For both socks, I still keep getting blisters unfortunately.

My weight seems to fall on my toe pick even when stroking, or landing jumps. My one fit spin is horrendous because I can't get off my toe pick. I guess I need to learn to push off with edges more.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
My weight seems to fall on my toe pick even when stroking, or landing jumps. My one fit spin is horrendous because I can't get off my toe pick. I guess I need to learn to push off with edges more.

You're supposed to land jumps on your toe pick initially.

I still fly onto my toe pick on spins a lot because of my posture (and blades, but I'm in Freestyles). If that's some of the problem for you, this site has a lot of good posture exercises (and even some exercises for bunions), and your coach might know better ones since (s)he's seen you skate.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I had a pair of boots that caused corns (ouch!) on both of my little toes and rubbed against the cuticle of my big toes causing a lot of redness and pain. I cut pieces of moleskin to cover over those problem areas. It worked very well.

If you try moleskin, it has a sticky side so you'll have to let those blisters heal up first before you cover them.

I also use cosmetic pads to cushion a couple a couple areas in my current boots. There are lots of options out there!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
It won’t really help if you already have blisters, but once they heal, you can put a piece of athletic tape where you are getting rubbing and it should prevent them. It might be a better option than padding if you have bunions since the tape doesn’t really take up any space. I’ve never really had blister problems with my skates, but taping has saved my life in dance!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you're in the US, I find this https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-moist-burn-pads,-2nd-skin/ID=prod6169379-product very good for blisters.

The pads are oversized and can be cut to fit. The extras need to be kept in a tightly sealed plastic bag; they will stay moist for a few days or weeks, but eventually dry out and have to be discarded. I believe the unopened packages last a lot longer.

Put the pad over the blister and tape it on really well. If it's your little toe, wrap the tape all the way around the toe with a big overlap. It can stay on for a long time, through several showers.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you try moleskin, it has a sticky side so you'll have to let those blisters heal up first before you cover them.
Fortunately moleskin is thin. What I do is stick two pieces of moleskin back-to-back (you want to remove both liner sheets, since they tend to be too stiff); the resulting double sheet is still fairly thin. To protect the top of my toes, I cut a piece of the double sheet to cover my toes, and slip this piece over my toes and under my sock; the sock holds it in place without adhesive. I've found Dr. Scholl's moleskin to be the softest; Curad is almost as good, and much cheaper, if you use a lot; some of the no-name brands are quite stiff and rough, and can do more harm than good.

JSM

On the Ice
The blisters and falling forward could possibly be a fit issue. Is your heel completely locked, with toes flat and no sliding in the boot at all?

IceJen48

Spectator
The blisters and falling forward could possibly be a fit issue. Is your heel completely locked, with toes flat and no sliding in the boot at all?

Yes, the heel is completely locked, I always push my heel back as far as possible when lacing the skates, no sliding in the feet at all. I've had blister problems with both SP Teri's & Jacksons even with the bunion area punched out, pretty frustrating.