The SkyCam at Nats | Golden Skate

The SkyCam at Nats

This thing that looks like a sputnick and follows the skaters around while they are doing their thing. It doesn't really bother me while the competition is going on. However, I did catch a TV showing of Ladies before I left Portland and I am not crazy about this innovation that ABC is using. It seems the skycam jumps from close up to a view if you were sitting in the 4th gallery.

Anyone have comments on the SkyCam?

Joe

toutestgrace

Rinkside
skycam

I hated it. The panning was so bad, I needed Dramamine. Plus the fact that it couldn't keep up with the skaters. You either got a closeup of someone's arm or a cheap seat view of the whole rink with a skating ant. Dump the skycam :mad:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I *think* it was just for this competition because I think the skycam actually belongs to teh arena (or at least the do-hicky to set it up) so I doubt we'll see it often

reverie81

Rinkside
I didnt like it either. You didnt get a good feel for the speed with which the skater was skating and as someone else mentioned, it was like the view from the cheap seats, it was harder to see what the skater was doing and appriciate the speed in which it was being done. To me, it was like sitting in the nose-bleed section!

heyang

Record Breaker
It wasn't great, but it was interesting. There were some shots that were helpful - for instance on the straight line step sequence during ice dance. I think it was Steigler and Magorovsky - with the aerial view you were able to see where they got out of synch a bit - probably would not have been picked up on tv with a straight on ice level shot. You can also really observe the ice coverage.

I do think that sky cam should only be used during 'replay's. I also think it's better than when they focus only on the skater's face or arm.

It was certainly no worse than some of the filming of the featured skater shows (i.e Kristi's salute to American music, Kurt's Gotta Dance, Katerina & Friends, etc.)

IDLERACER

Medalist
I'll bet some dirty old man installed that thing with the assumption that there would be alot of female skaters wearing low-cut outfits. :p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually women put it together... I watched them do it (I was so distracted watching the ABC crew work :laugh: A lot of the time I was watching the monitors instead of the skating :laugh:

Doug Wilson is my TV hero... and I want his job :laugh:

Kasey

Medalist
Hated it. You can't tell much on edging and blade use, or proper jump technique from the ceiling. And the panning of it made me think I was watching the Blair Witch nationals....UGH

Kasey

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
And don't forget...

IDLERACER said:
I'll bet some dirty old man installed that thing with the assumption that there would be alot of female skaters wearing low-cut outfits. :p
I hope I'm not duplicating this post...but...

Don't forget the pairs / dance lifts. Combine that with a deep wedgie and Look Out!! My hubby might just become a figure skating fan.

DG

childfreegirl

Final Flight
toutestgrace said:
I hated it. The panning was so bad, I needed Dramamine. Plus the fact that it couldn't keep up with the skaters. You either got a closeup of someone's arm or a cheap seat view of the whole rink with a skating ant. Dump the skycam :mad:

My thoughts exactly. It wobbled just enough to make me sick to my stomach. I can do without that.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hated it!!!!!! The thing made me feel dizzy. I did not enjoy the sky cam esperience at all. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the camera man. I hope Skate Canada does not think this is a great idea to use at our events.
:mad: