Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Oda resigns as a coach over "moral harassment"

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Not really. Even if he gets it (a big if), it probably won't leave much after he's paid his lawyers. I think it's more the principle of the thing. I imagine they will settle out of court if Hamada has any sense.

If Hamada feels she’s innocent they the smartest thing she can do it not settle if there’s even a chance she could win. Settling always makes people suspicious unfortunately. Which is totally wrong but it’s the reality.

In Scotland the damages reward would be in addition to costs like lawyers fees but I’m not certain of what it’s like in Japan.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
For the sake of proving/disproving the innocence of certain parties, it would be better for the suit to go to court, but I'm a bit worried about how that might impact the training of Hamada's or Oda's students (although not exactly sure how) :(

That being said, Satoko is now based in Toronto, and Rika has spent periods at Colorado Springs (?) where I guess she could go to avoid any disturbances. But the other skaters in Hamada's group don't have that option.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
For the sake of proving/disproving the innocence of certain parties, it would be better for the suit to go to court, but I'm a bit worried about how that might impact the training of Hamada's or Oda's students (although not exactly sure how) :(

That being said, Satoko is now based in Toronto, and Rika has spent periods at Colorado Springs (?) where I guess she could go to avoid any disturbances. But the other skaters in Hamada's group don't have that option.

It almost makes one wonder whether the nastiness in the air (which must have been palpable for some time) played a part in Satoko leaving for Toronto. Hamada may have even recommended it, because she knew it was not a situation that could be resolved easily and she didn't want it to affect one of her top students. Regardless of who is at fault, I sincerely hope that they resolve the issue quickly so that it doesn't affect the skaters.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Wow, I'm flabbergasted.

Edit: have to add how saddened I am by this news. I've always thought Hamada was an upstanding and admirable coach. For her sake and her students I hope the allegations aren't true, whatever they might be. But there's also no reason for Oda to lie about this and risk his own career. I guess all we can do is wait for the trial, but either way I just feel sad. Alas ��

Even before her alleged harassment and bullying of Oda, there were reports of her pulling students’ hair, body shaming, and more. Somehow this has been mostly not discussed and ignored.

alexaa

Final Flight
Wow, I'm flabbergasted.

Edit: have to add how saddened I am by this news. I've always thought Hamada was an upstanding and admirable coach. For her sake and her students I hope the allegations aren't true, whatever they might be. But there's also no reason for Oda to lie about this and risk his own career. I guess all we can do is wait for the trial, but either way I just feel sad. Alas ��

FYI, post #20 and 38, all allegations though at this point. Hope this would get settled soon, and like the poster said, “wish this will end up with improving the culture in Kansai Uni's rink in any way.”
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...me-to-quit-as-kansai-university-coach.106102/

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm not quite familiar with japanese culture, but I wanted to ask in case someone knows: how japanese society looks on this conflict?
There's probably subordination, but does it mean that what Oda is doing will be considered as a poor move?
Are conflicts between superiors(Hamada) and their subordinates (Oda) frowned upon?
Is Oda in trouble for attempting to sue his superior?
Or will japanese society look differently at Hamada, and question her ethics as a coach and a colleague, and investigate the matter?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I'm not quite familiar with japanese culture, but I wanted to ask in case someone knows: how japanese society looks on this conflict?

I guess the #MeToo culture has set upon Japan and young people in their 20s or 30s are increasingly outspoken as Americans are. There are some other Olympic athletes who publicly complained about power harassment by their superiors. The university is firmly on Hamada's side and it didn't investigate the matter fully as Oda requested, which is why he filed a civil lawsuit. But I wish they could settle the problem amicably without going public. Hamada is the empress of the figure skating world in Japan who cannot be messed with and Oda should have apologized for meddling in her coaching. It all started after Oda asked Hamada to stop a routine "figure eight" shape practice that he considered dangerous for skaters, after which he was ignored for a month. It got worse when he made scheduling changes and skaters had three hours less to practise on ice to attend classes in the morning. Oda was often away from the ice rink and the new academic rule was not followed when he was absent, over which they clashed again. Oda didn't have to change what she has established at Japan's Sambo 70. We need to worry more about the negative effects on her famous pupils like Miyahara and Kihira.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Question. Who was Uno's former coach? And who is Vincent working with on performance?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Question. Who was Uno's former coach? And who is Vincent working with on performance?

Shoma’s coach was Mihiko Higuchi.

As for Vincent it's not clear whether he working with Hamada much right now since he's in school.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I guess the #MeToo culture has set upon Japan and young people in their 20s or 30s are increasingly outspoken as Americans are. There are some other Olympic athletes who publicly complained about power harassment by their superiors. The university is firmly on Hamada's side and it didn't investigate the matter fully as Oda requested, which is why he filed a civil lawsuit. But I wish they could settle the problem amicably without going public. Hamada is the empress of the figure skating world in Japan who cannot be messed with and Oda should have apologized for meddling in her coaching.

Hopefully justice for Oda and some good can come from this lawsuit. What benefit would there be for keeping this private, other than Hamada’s reputation.

It’s not logical that she deserved an apology, if she was bullying and harassing him. That ”Hamada is the empress of the figure skating world in Japan who cannot be messed with” is overstating it. It’s not just the issue between Hamada and Oda, there have been reports of her physically and verbally abusing her students.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also, Oda wasn't "just a coach." He was the skating director/club manager. Basically, Hamada, at best, was a peer. But this is not a subordinate/boss situation. Basically he was trying to implement policies for the rink/club and he claims Hamada tried to resist to the point of harassing him.

Of course from an cultural standpoint, this could be seen as subordination of a skating elder.

Also regarding Satoko -- I think it's pretty telling at COC that she only sat with Lee Barkell in the K&C, even though Mie Hamada was there.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Shoma’s coach was Mihiko Higuchi.

As for Vincent it's not clear whether he working with Hamada much right now since he's in school.

Thanks. I love Shoma's former coach!!!! I'm glad she is not the coach in question!!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Even before her alleged harassment and bullying of Oda, there were reports of her pulling students’ hair, body shaming, and more. Somehow this has been mostly not discussed and ignored.

Personally I only get my skating news from Goldenskate, so I was unaware of any prior allegations against her apart from her comments about Marin being lazy in practice. For obvious reasons I avoid FS-related social media (apart from like, nice jumps on Instagram). Very saddened to hear of this nonetheless.

PS I read the posts on FSUniverse. Needless to say, if the allegations in those posts are true then Hamada should be banned from the sport and then some. I'm just depressed by what I'm hearing 😣

saturdaysun

On the Ice
This is why that other thread about "beloved coaches" was slightly uncomfortable. You never know what a coaching situation is really like and certainly can't base it on how people act in front of crowds and cameras at a competition.