What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What are some questions you've always wanted to ask a figure skater?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How does your 6 minute warmup affect your competition? (if at all).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I would ask gracie about her Labayadere program from (I think) 2017/18.

I would ask Alyona how she likes training at Sambo 70.

I would ask Elena Ilinyk (sp?) if she’s coming back to the sport and why she decided to split with Nikita.

macy

Record Breaker
How does your 6 minute warmup affect your competition? (if at all).

as a former skater (though def not elite) it's hard to be the last skater in your warmup group. you go out and warm your stuff up for 5 or 6 mins, then get off the ice and try to stay warm foreveerrrrrrrr. you can't take your skates off either to do off ice jumps, so it's really challenging to wait that long and then go whip out a long program when you haven't been on the ice in 40-60 mins. you just have to keep walking, doing little jumps up and down, etc. it honestly sucks.

it's also something we don't think much about when watching high caliber competitions either, and these ladies/men are out doing triples and quads in a 4 minute FS after an hour of not being on the ice, many times clean too. major respect.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
as a former skater (though def not elite) it's hard to be the last skater in your warmup group. you go out and warm your stuff up for 5 or 6 mins, then get off the ice and try to stay warm foreveerrrrrrrr. you can't take your skates off either to do off ice jumps, so it's really challenging to wait that long and then go whip out a long program when you haven't been on the ice in 40-60 mins. you just have to keep walking, doing little jumps up and down, etc. it honestly sucks.

it's also something we don't think much about when watching high caliber competitions either, and these ladies/men are out doing triples and quads in a 4 minute FS after an hour of not being on the ice, many times clean too. major respect.

Exactly! It's very hard to stay focused some times and your legs are getting "cold" and your feet are cramping in skates and the longer you wait the harder it is. Even though I miss the rush of competing sometimes, I'm so glad those days are over for me. :laugh:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
General skater questions:

Do you find your costumes weigh a lot? wearing suit jackets or elaborate beadin seems to weigh people down.

What do you focus on when you are spinning so you don't get dizzy?

Why do skaters tend to jump near the boards?

Do camera flashes bother you?

You tend to wear layers of clothing when practising but often bare arms and cut outs when competing = isn't it cold to wear solittle?

Specific Questions

Tarasova and Morozov= Why Candyman???

Hanyu - who designs your costumes? Johnny Weir?

Vera Wang- what is with these fashion faux pas tops for Nathan Chen?

3A's you are all so awesome but are you afraid of puberty affecting your jumps

Eteri - who really is your favorite pupil?

Michael Marinaro, Chris Knerim - are you afraid of messing up and ticking off your partners?

Mervin Tran = Why so many partners and so many countries?

Shoma - why no coach?

Nam Nguyen - was it a mistake leaving Brian Orser?

Polina Edmunds, Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, Carolina Kostner - are you making legitimate comebacks? What is the purpose? Is it hard leaving the limelight?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes camera flashes bug us. Hence why they tell you no flash at shows and so on.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Oooh, a few I can actually answer despite my low level, yay.

You tend to wear layers of clothing when practising but often bare arms and cut outs when competing = isn't it cold to wear solittle?

Here's an article on the neuroscience of how our brains adjust to spinning: https://www.livescience.com/61795-ice-skating-brain-spin-dizzy.html
I don't know about other skaters, but in my case, I spin much faster than my crap-o-vision can adjust to and really can't see anything but a blur (which actually doesn't bother me at all, as scary as it might sound).

The only skater I've seen whom I'd consider as jumping near the boards on a regular basis is Boyang Jin, and I can only guess that perhaps he and Big Pharma are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to ensure that all his fans will eventually need high blood pressure medication. :laugh:

Possibly if one is very, very cold-sensitive, but I get so hot just practicing (especially in the summer) that I'd imagine most of them wouldn't mind rolling around on the ice to cool off after competing.

elliana

On the Ice
Random:

How do you develop flexibility to do something like a Bielsmnn spin?

If you're preparing for competitions are you ever allowed days off from skating?

Are coaches all capable of doing jumps themselves?

How many of you have ever bumped your head on the ice after a fall?

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
So the really important question in my mind which I want to ask a skater: Do you have a lot of bruises all over your butt after all those falls?

Depends on the week and how you're falling, but at times it can be a lot. Certainly learning new jumps can cause this.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Random:

How do you develop flexibility to do something like a Bielsmnn spin?

If you're preparing for competitions are you ever allowed days off from skating?

Are coaches all capable of doing jumps themselves?

How many of you have ever bumped your head on the ice after a fall?

Many years of flexibility training with pilates, ballet, and more.

Yes. We have rest days that are very important before competitions.

Most top coaches can or could at one point in their careers.

Yes, many of us have.

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
"Yuna, what's your skincare routine?"
Because really, her skin is flawless and she doesn't age like HOW???. XD

Well, South Korea is known for their great skin care so she probably has the best products available to her :>

Although, there are people like Yuzuru with amazing skin that claim they only wash their face with water and soap ;-;

(I guess they are/were elite figure skaters and all though, so a combination of working out and sweating a lot, the cold conditions they train in and a good diet is probably enough for most people to have good to great skin without trying too hard)

Hanyu - who designs your costumes? Johnny Weir?

Satomi Ito designs all of his costumes these days and has done so for years.

Her instagram: https://www.instagram.com/stm_ito/?hl=sv

elliana

On the Ice
If your kid wanted to also become a competitive figure skater would you encourage it or say nooooooo? (Lol I know the sport is super expensive.)

macy

Record Breaker

Do camera flashes bother you?

1. you are too busy counting revolutions and holding/stretching positions to get dizzy. your mind is focusing on something else other than the fact you're spinning. but there is also a "trained" part of it where your brain is just used to it, especially if you started skating at a young age.

2. we are taught to get speed/prepare for the jump using the rest of the ice surface, so the jumps just happen to be on one side of the rink. in programs it's sometimes different depending on choreography.

3. yes

I would like to ask some top skaters how much are they involved in their choreography, or do they just put themselves in the hands of their choreographer and coach.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Does it hurt when your partner stands with blade on your thighs for lifts?

No because it's the flat of the blade, not the edge where it's sharp. The man will feel pressure but no pain.

If your kid wanted to also become a competitive figure skater would you encourage it or say nooooooo? (Lol I know the sport is super expensive.)

I believe this was already asked in this thread and I'll answer the same again: yes, a million times yes.

I would like to ask some top skaters how much are they involved in their choreography, or do they just put themselves in the hands of their choreographer and coach.

Some do some don't. It really depends on the skater and their choreographer and coach.

elliana

On the Ice
Thanks for answering my questions!!

Thought of a couple more...

Do any of you come consider the off-ice portion of your training as the more boring part of your regimen?

Curious about the things that could possibly throw your concentration off during a competition: accidental eye contact with someone? Seeing yourself on the jumbo Tron in real time? The clapping when you're about to start your second jump in the combo? If you have any funny stories please do tell!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Tarasova, who are the real ice dancers of the future, because SB and SK, I am so over them? I really like K/V.