Skaters with proper technique: appreciation thread | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skaters with proper technique: appreciation thread

cell

On the Ice
LOL Full blade. Do people who actually talk about proper jump tecnhique skate or jump? Or did they just watch some videos on youtube and read rules and decided it suddenly made them experts, qualified to talk about jump technique?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Ha-ha-ha, I'm really laughing right now. :laugh: I do numerical methods and it always amuses me how people who are far from this confuse “simulation” and “animation”. This is animation my dear not a simulation :) You can draw anything, it's not relevant. It’s just a convenient, simplified, educational animation.

Yea? But I’m really interested is why prer over 90 degrees is a bad technique, and less 90 it is a good one?

What is the basis of your belief that the prer makes it easier to jump? Maybe so, but who said it? Has anyone researched it? Famous figure skaters said - "I did with prer and without, with prer was much easier, almost like a double" ? Can you give a link to this?
I do not confuse anything - it is both simulation and animation. :) Simulation - because it shows how these jumps should be done and animation - because it is a computer animation. And you do not know much about technology If you really think these are from the 60s. :)

Orlov

Medalist
I do not confuse anything - it is both simulation and animation. :) Simulation - because it shows how these jumps should be done and animation - because it is a computer animation. And you do not know much about technology If you really think these are from the 60s. :)

Okey, even common, not from computer science, definition say to us: "A simulation is an approximate imitation of the operation of a process or system" :)

But please don't be distracted by irrelevant things. My main point:

But I’m really interested is why prer over 90 degrees is a bad technique, and less 90 it is a good one?

What is the basis of your belief that the prer makes it easier to jump? Maybe so, but who said it? Has anyone researched it? Famous figure skaters said - "I did with prer and without, with prer was much easier, almost like a double" ? Can you give a link to this?

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Here to make a case for Karen's Lutz :)

Insane speed going into it, deep outside edge, toe pick assist, off the ice before 90 degrees, delayed rotation at times (for aesthetic purposes, it's nice, but causes rotation problems at times), AMAZING height and distance, beautiful landing position with running edge and transitions out. Plus the beauty in her arms and flow over the ice just put the icing on the cake when she's able to successfully complete her jumps, it just makes them that much better!

https://66.media.tumblr.com/fe6153d.../d11b372aa3448f95dbd20f61e392105cdce08e3d.gif

Shame about her inconsistency, but credit where credit is due

lzxnl

Final Flight
LOL Full blade. Do people who actually talk about proper jump tecnhique skate or jump? Or did they just watch some videos on youtube and read rules and decided it suddenly made them experts, qualified to talk about jump technique?

I'm not an elite skater, so my opinion is probably not that valuable in this context, but from my limited experience jumping single lutzes, while it's easier to full-blade and be lazy with the right foot when toe-picking, I get so much more power when I use the toe pick and the jump feels so much nicer. Now that I've got an axel, I will keep you guys posted when I have a double lutz. Basically, I can consciously feel the difference between a full blade and a pick and there are differences in the resulting jump.

macy

Record Breaker
nobody:

literally no one:

not a single soul in the skating world:

not the skaters or coaches themselves:

not the judges:

not even the ISU:

skating fan keyboard warriors: LOOK AT THAT PREROTATION AND FULL BLADE TAKEOFF

Ducky

On the Ice
nobody:

literally no one:

not the judges:

not even the ISU:

A+ bringing twitter to the boards. (I like)

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
nobody:

literally no one:

not the judges:

not even the ISU:

Javier Fernandez did
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/01/28/javier-fernandezs-last-bow-to-europe-and-the-world/
You know what action I would like this to open? Judges consider landing to evaluate a jump, which is fine. But they should also consider the take-off. So many skaters rotate half a turn less just in the take-off. What is fair? And what is not?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Thank you. This is exactly what these little girls from Russia do. If they want to win - fine, but not in this way.
Of course, they are not the only ones - many skaters from USA, Canada, Japan, Korea and Italy do the same thing.
Rarely there are skaters who have proper technique. That is why this problem is rarely talk about.

While I do agree with the original point, you've written these in way that slightly suggests that Russians (little girls apparently) do it waaaaaaay more than everyone else, when in fact it's an opinion that comes simply from having more exposure to Russian ladies skating, and we see them so much because they're so good.

However, it always pains me a little when I happen to be watching the earlier groups, I see a skater from a so-called no-name fed having essentially no prerotation, no full blade assist, nice air position and even transitions and simply never gets a nice enough GOE for it. How can one not appreciate a beautiful jump that's with no prerotation and full blade assist more is beyond me. Though that mostly stems from not wanting to see good things in skaters other than the person's favourites.

Pantsu

On the Ice
So, i'd like to ask adepts of the proper technique, where do you get this "90 prerotation" "full-blade assist" from ?
I do not understand why there is no link in the thread to the handbook or something like that.
I mean i found the handbook for tech panel and i don't see these words in it

macy

Record Breaker
So, i'd like to ask adepts of the proper technique, where do you get this "90 prerotation" "full-blade assist" from ?
I do not understand why there is no link in the thread to the handbook or something like that.
I mean i found the handbook for tech panel and i don't see these words in it

they are made up terms to justify "bad technique." They aren't in the handbook or anywhere else because they aren't a part of judging or learning a jump, and never have been. they are mainly discussed by those who don't understand jump mechanics.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
they arKe made up fan terms to justify "bad technique." They aren't in the handbook or anywhere else because they aren't a part of judging or learning a jump, and never have been. they are mainly discussed by those who don't understand jump mechanics.
Italian former figure skater Angelo Dolfini and Italian commentator Massimiliano Ambesi spoke about full blade take off as well. Check them on You Tube.
The last time I am speaking to you and wasting my time.

lzxnl

Final Flight
they are made up terms to justify "bad technique." They aren't in the handbook or anywhere else because they aren't a part of judging or learning a jump, and never have been. they are mainly discussed by those who don't understand jump mechanics.

Have you actually tried a jump before with a full blade? And compared it without?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Italian former figure skater Angelo Dolfini and Italian commentator Massimiliano Ambesi spoke about full blade take off as well. Check them on You Tube.
The last time I am speaking to you and wasting my time.

You haven't explained what you mean by full blade take-off. Not everyone is as knowledgeable about the finer points of technique. What do you mean and why is it bad?

macy

Record Breaker
Have you actually tried a jump before with a full blade? And compared it without?

uh, sure...i skated competitively for 13 years so i suppose i can say i've been around the block. i'm sure i tried something "full bladed" before while messing around, but i'm not really sure why it's relevant to the discussion. even edge jumps are taken off the pick, not the blade.

as i've said before, it's the nature of jumping and motion and speed and rotation that your weight shifts "backward" or it looks "full blade" as you lift into the air and begin rotation. this is jump mechanics, it's just how it works. some skaters do it more than others but this has nothing to do with how they were taught or something they're trying to do to cheat the jump. it happens too quickly to try to control, and every one is different in how they jump. they're human, not robots. it's just part of the jump and shifting of weight.

i wouldn't expect anyone who never skated or even did it recreationally to understand, which is why i'm trying to explain. i can speak from many, many years of experience of doing it myself and being taught, competing, volunteer judging, coaching others, etc. i'm not speaking from a place of only watching youtube videos and observing from afar.

rain

Record Breaker
Haven't seen Joannie Rochette mentioned and she's the one who immediately came to my mind. All of the triples with correct technique, including the lutz. And she was skating at a time when there was a lot of totally unpunished flutzing going on.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Haven't seen Joannie Rochette mentioned and she's the one who immediately came to my mind. All of the triples with correct technique, including the lutz. And she was skating at a time when there was a lot of totally unpunished flutzing going on.

and she was a powerful jumper too...

lzxnl

Final Flight
uh, sure...i skated competitively for 13 years so i suppose i can say i've been around the block. i'm sure i tried something "full bladed" before while messing around, but i'm not really sure why it's relevant to the discussion. even edge jumps are taken off the pick, not the blade.

as i've said before, it's the nature of jumping and motion and speed and rotation that your weight shifts "backward" or it looks "full blade" as you lift into the air and begin rotation. this is jump mechanics, it's just how it works. some skaters do it more than others but this has nothing to do with how they were taught or something they're trying to do to cheat the jump. it happens too quickly to try to control, and every one is different in how they jump. they're human, not robots. it's just part of the jump and shifting of weight.

i wouldn't expect anyone who never skated or even did it recreationally to understand, which is why i'm trying to explain. i can speak from many, many years of experience of doing it myself and being taught, competing, volunteer judging, coaching others, etc. i'm not speaking from a place of only watching youtube videos and observing from afar.

OK. I apologise for making the rash assumption.

However, I'm not the only one in the skating world who is annoyed at such technique. There's a well-known Italian dissection of some of the jumps at the 2018 Winter Olympics; they point out how so many lutzes weren't even toe jumps, and how they turned so much before takeoff. Javier Fernandez has also been quoted complaining about half turns before the jump itself.