Best rivalries of the last 10 years? | Golden Skate

Best rivalries of the last 10 years?

Felicies

Spectator
Hi! My answers are bolded.

Ladies:
Yuna x Mao

Zagitova x Medvedeva

Trusova x Kostornaia x Shcherbakova x Zagitova x Kihira etc... (Don't how to say it... Eteri team vs each other and everyone?? We'll have the top names when the season ends I guess)

Chose both, but because I love Kostornaia.

Men:
2008-2012 didn't have a big rivalry I think... Buttle, Lysacek, Lambiel, Takahashi all won Worlds once and then Patrick on top till 2012.

Hanyu x Chan
Hanyu x Fernandez
Hanyu x Chen

ID:
Virtue Moir x Davis White
Virtue Moir x Papadakis Cizeron

Pairs: ???? Don't follow it. Someone can help.
Volosozhar/Trankov x Savchenko/Szolkowy (?)
Sui/Han x Savchenko/Massot (?)

If you don't follow some discipline then you can choose no to comment on this one. You can comment about other rivalries too if you feel extra nostalgic today and If you disagree with my choices. Thanks.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Voir versus Marley was a MUCH better rivalry. It went on for the entire quad (actually more like the year before the Vancouver Olympics) and went guns blazing until the end of the FD at the Sochi Olympics. And it was always, always close, so it really did fulfill the Willy Wonka Dictum: "The suspense is killing me. I hope it will last."

Two things: Marlie went undefeated the last two years of the rivalry, the ONLY team to consistently beat Voir.
I always thought each team won Worlds with the wrong program. Die Fledermaus NOT the tango; Carmen NOT Funny Face.

Yes, I'm singing 'Those Were the Good Old Days" in my head.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Voir versus Marley was a MUCH better rivalry. It went on for the entire quad (actually more like the year before the Vancouver Olympics) and went guns blazing until the end of the FD at the Sochi Olympics. And it was always, always close, so it really did fulfill the Willy Wonka Dictum: "The suspense is killing me. I hope it will last."

Two things: Marlie went undefeated the last two years of the rivalry, the ONLY team to consistently beat Voir.
I always thought each team won Worlds with the wrong program. Die Fledermaus NOT the tango; Carmen NOT Funny Face.

Those were astonishing years in our sport. Ice dance today cannot rival what we saw then.

Also agree that their "losing" programs were better than the "winners."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't have a rivalry (at least not a recent one;)), but thank you for posting and starting a thread @Felicies.

Post long and post often!

readernick

Medalist

Yes, 100 percent, yes! Die Fledermaus was so much better than the tango. Carmen was so much better than Funny Face... Loved both teams!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Only of the last 10 yrs? So, I can't even refer to the Yagudin-Pluschenko one, which was a fierce rivalry between 1998-2003? Too bad. And now that I've mentioned them any way, here goes:

I rather enjoyed Meryl/Charlie vs Tessa/Scott because it endured for more than 4 yrs, was rather on an even footing in the sense that both got a silver and a gold at an Olympics, both won 2 World titles in that time.
To me the rivalry between Gabrielle/Guillaume and Tessa/Scott was far less interesting. Only 2 years duration.

I also enjoyed the rivalry 2011-2014 between Aljona/Robin and Tatjana/Maxim in pairs. More recently there was no such thing in pairs in my view. Aljona and Bruno were on the rise and doing their thing, while one could hardly call Meaghan/Eric vs Sui/Han a rivalry. Competitors indeed, but a rivalry it was not. I'm hoping there will be a fierce rivalry between Kirstin/Michael and Liubov/Charlie on the Canadian front, but it's not there yet.

Yuzuru and Javier had a friendly rivalry going on between 2014-2018. I enjoyed that a lot, also because they even supported each other (though still each wanting to win of course).

In ladies Mao and Yuna was the best. Also on a rather even footing, considering the numbers of medals at Championships. Even though Yuna has an additional Olympic one.
Within the Russian ladies, Zagitova/Medvedeva is the only one that really comes to mind as a serious one. However, they'll have to keep it up for another few years to make it count as rivalry. I am sorry to say, that to me the youngsters on that front can be rivalrous (of course) but they don't really count for me. Let's see what happens the coming years and if the 3A continue to compete against each other consistently!

macy

Record Breaker
ladies:

Yuna/Mao
Zhenya/Alina
3A
in the making- Kamila/Alysa
nationally- Ashley/Gracie

men

Nathan/Yuzu
Yuzu/Javi

pairs

Savchenko/Szolkowy & Volosozhar/Trankov

dance

Davis/White & Virtue/Moir, obvs

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
Minor rivalries:
Meite/ Lecavelier
Helgesson/ Helgesson
Asada/ Ando (2011)
Leonova/Kostner (2012)
Sotnikova/ Tuktamysheva
Aaron/ Brown

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Minor rivalries:
Meite/ Lecavelier
Helgesson/ Helgesson
Asada/ Ando (2011)
Leonova/Kostner (2012)
Sotnikova/ Tuktamysheva
Aaron/ Brown

That's nice! Especially the Swedish sisters. I had forgotten about that. Just as I forgot about the still continuing one between the 2 French ladies.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Not sure how Alina / evgenia was a rivalry when Alina handily won every time

She did. But there were some injury issues too, making it possible for Alina to rise more easily. Still, call it a minor rivalry then. To me rivalries have to exist for a longer period of time in any case to count as a serious one. :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure how Alina / evgenia was a rivalry when Alina handily won every time

Short but explosively, almost traumatically emotional, played out pretty much in the lead up to and at one competition (the biggest of course) and utterly memorable. Ticks so many "truth is way more fictional than fiction" boxes...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry for the double post, but this announcement about Javi and Yuzu getting an actual prize for their rivalry/friendship/professional relationship just came up and seemed incredibly apropos
https://twitter.com/crazykuroneko/status/1186994059757248514

It will be interesting to see how the current rising set of teammates - the 3A - handle the pressure on the friendships they seem to have, especially if all three do last out till the Olympics. But even if they fissure and break, it will still be something to watch on ice for fans of the ladies. On a purely professional level, I think Yuna/Mao sets a gold standard in the ladies; both unique, both absolute queens in their own right, and most of the audience seem to have adored and wanted them both to win so much.

(The 10-year cutoff is a pity though, because for as a guilty pleasure, Yagudin/Plushenko's definitely NOT sweetness and light battles takes the stiletto-shaped prize :biggrin:)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
The Kim x Asada rivalry overshadows everything else bc there was nationalistic sentiment at play.

The fan wars alone would crash this board of that rivalry took place today.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
The Kim x Asada rivalry overshadows everything else bc there was nationalistic sentiment at play.

The fan wars alone would crash this board of that rivalry took place today.

This is so true, but what a shame it is! Both are such beautiful skaters. I prefer to love them both :luv17:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
It's hard to have true rivalries in which both competitors are well-matched in terms of the strengths/weaknesses. In a lot of ways, Trusova/Shcherbakova/Kostornaia is really exciting because they are all so different yet so competitive with each other as far as scoring goes.

Oshun

Rinkside
Yuzuru and Javier had a friendly rivalry going on between 2014-2018. I enjoyed that a lot, also because they even supported each other (though still each wanting to win of course).

Best example of real sportsmanship in any discipline. So competitive and earnest about winning while remaining supportive of one another. I really do not expect to see another like them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
ladies:

Yuna/Mao
Zhenya/Alina
3A
in the making- Kamila/Alysa
nationally- Ashley/Gracie

men

Nathan/Yuzu
Yuzu/Javi

pairs

Savchenko/Szolkowy & Volosozhar/Trankov

dance

Davis/White & Virtue/Moir, obvs

I agree except I have to say as much as I love the personality of Javi and he has two world titles he never to me was a great skater like Hanyu or Chan.