What's in store for Ryan Jahnke? | Golden Skate

What's in store for Ryan Jahnke?

S

SkateFan4Life

So what now is Ryan Jahnke going to do, now that his standing among the US men has fallen dramatically from his bronze medal placement of 2003? Although he's a wonderful, artistic skater, Ryan continually struggles with the triple axel, and he seems to also suffer from the jitters when he competes.

He's 26 or 27 now, so perhaps he's ready to either turn pro and skate with SOI or other tours, or to coach full-time, or to leave the sport completely.

I certainly hope he stays around in the figure skating world in some capacity.

Ryan, imo, will continue to skate a winning competition followed by two unwinning competitions, and the beat goes on.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought he was held down in marks for the short... but that's just me... I don't consider myself too big a fan... and he's one of those skaters--for me--that you have to see skate live before you really start to appreciate him.

jesslily

Final Flight
Ryan Jahnke is a really great skater with huge jumps and great flow and edges.
He did very well for the past couple of years, and maybe it's hard for him to maintain that training pace every year. One thing I remembered that he was marked down at 2002. I don't know if this year he was also at short, since someone is back, and a new young guy is doing relatively well.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
jesslily said:
Ryan Jahnke is a really great skater with huge jumps and great flow and edges.
He was great at Skate Canada but then it seems like it was all downhill after that.

Dee

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I expect Ryan to continue competing through 2005-06. According to the current USFS team envelope criteria, he qualifies for Team B due to making the GP Final this year, and his ISU ranking will likely stay high enough for him to get one Grand Prix event next season (hopefully). I'm already anticipating what new programs he can come up with for next year...

S

SkateFan4Life

Sylvia said:
I expect Ryan to continue competing through 2005-06. According to the current USFS team envelope criteria, he qualifies for Team B due to making the GP Final this year, and his ISU ranking will likely stay high enough for him to get one Grand Prix event next season (hopefully). I'm already anticipating what new programs he can come up with for next year...

I, too, hope Ryan will continue to compete through the 2005-2006 season, although I do not expect that he will qualify again for a World team, and probably not the Olympic team, either. Hopefully, he'll finish high enough at Nationals so that he is named to at least one or two Grand Prix team.

soogar

Record Breaker
Shouldn't Ryan get 2 Grand Prix assignments b/c he made it to the Grand Prix final? He should be a seeded skater now so it shouldn't matter how he did at Nats for ISU events (at least that is what I think but I don't really know).

Matt

On the Ice
I think this is just a momentary lapse for Jahnke. He's struggled with inconsistency for a number of years and he just didn't have the skate he needed. He has made quite a name for himself within the USFSA and the GP, so IMO, he'll bounce back and we'll see him in the next season

nicole_l

Final Flight
He should be a seeded skater now so it shouldn't matter how he did at Nats for ISU events (at least that is what I think but I don't really know).
I'm pretty sure that the seeding for the GP is done at Worlds, not the GPF. So, the top 6 skaters at Worlds this year will have the option of competing in three events.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Yes, seeding for the Grand Prix events is based on placing top 6 at Worlds.

Here's the link to Ryan's post-Nationals "letter" to himself (dated Jan. 20):
http://figureskatersonline.com/ryanjahnke/thoughts/thought11.html

Excerpt from the beginning:

<< Dear Ryan,

You were made to succeed, that hasn't changed. I know it was a bit of
a tough experience last week in Portland. As always, "what if's"
don't count for much since hindsight is totally different than
actually living it. At least by being realistic now, you can see
things in perspective. Entering Nationals with a back injury was
enough to deal with even if you hadn't been sick. ... >>

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks for posting that online letter ... I didn't realize that he was suffering from an injury and illness at Nats.
I was there at most of his practices and you could just see he was struggling. I sincerely hope he can train well and come back to have a better season next year. I adore his skating, and after meeting him at Skate America in Reading a few years ago, I was so taken with him as a person as well. Just a truly nice person.
Good Luck Ryan!!!

soogar

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
I'm pretty sure that the seeding for the GP is done at Worlds, not the GPF. So, the top 6 skaters at Worlds this year will have the option of competing in three events.

The top Worlds skaters will get three events but what about the basic assignments? I really want a skater like Ryan to get two assignments. He did well in the GP and he really needs the money. It's not as though he's going to make a ton of dough touring.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
For me, Jahnke has always been the Angela Nikodinov of US mens skating. Beautiful to watch for their style & choreography but painful to watch them fall apart when it comes to their jumps. He is being passed now by the younger men & unless a miracle occurs it will continue as long as he competes as an eligible. Nice guy, tho.

soogar

Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
For me, Jahnke has always been the Angela Nikodinov of US mens skating. Beautiful to watch for their style & choreography but painful to watch them fall apart when it comes to their jumps. He is being passed now by the younger men & unless a miracle occurs it will continue as long as he competes as an eligible. Nice guy, tho.

I don't know about that. Angela just seems to give up every time I see her skate after her first mistake whereas Ryan just keeps trying which makes him fun to watch. I don't see Ryan as World or Olympic material however I think he's good enough where he should get international assignments. I just don't know what this GP is for anyway. Why not have it be like a professional tour (ie tennis) where lots of different skaters get exposure? Just b/c they can't make worlds (even though all skaters who do well in the GP should have the oppty to skate at worlds regardless of how many a country can send) doesn't mean that viewers won't enjoy their skating. Ryan has lots of problems with his jumps so I'm not surprised at his performance at Nats (two footing etc) but he tries his best and is a pleasant skater to watch.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
The top Worlds skaters will get three events but what about the basic assignments? I really want a skater like Ryan to get two assignments. He did well in the GP and he really needs the money. It's not as though he's going to make a ton of dough touring.

Ryan will get the assignments if he's earned them. Regardless of whether or not he needs the money, he must qualify for those international assignments. I would dearly like him to master that triple axel so that he can have decent competitive programs and finish well, if not on the podium, at least in the top five or six.

As it is, it's just one botched long program after another. Very, very frustrating!