Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

1 Not allowed!

HOF ISU announces 'ISU Skating Awards'

A live conference is happening now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qAoQRfPUgo

An article was posted last week alluding to the announcement on the Worlds 2020 website: https://montreal2020.com/internation...nd-art-on-ice/

FULL article just posted on the Worlds 2020 website: https://montreal2020.com/isu-skating...0-in-montreal/

Awards from seven categories will be given to outstanding athletes, Choreographer and Coach. Additionally, an innovative mix of Figure Skating, Dance and Cirque Nouveau will be showcased, featuring captivating music acts and several live performances – involving all 2020 ISU World Figure Skating Champions and medalists.
    The ISU Skating Awards is a new format that will take place on Sunday, March 22, 2020 between 16:00 – 18:30 EDT (21:00 – 23:30 GMT) bringing a glamorous finish to the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. Guests, VIPs and ISU Skating Awards nominees will arrive on the red carpet at the famous Bell Center in Montreal.
    The categories are:

• Most Valuable Skater: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating related to the fan base involvement, media attention and sponsors appreciation
    • Best Costume: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple presenting a costume reflecting creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality
    • Most Entertaining Program: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple for the music selection, expression, creativity, contemporary implementation, originality and overall performance
    • Best Newcomer: Honors a young talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully in ISU Events on the Senior level for the first season
    • Best Choreographer: Honors the choreographic work of a Choreographer who successfully inspired one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples
    • Best Coach: Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples
    • Lifetime Achievement Award: Honors a Figure Skating legend having achieved great success and popularity and is considered as a role model in the Figure Skating World.

What are your thoughts?

Moonbear power Lunalovesskating's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    So as far as I understand only the medalists are invited to the new gala? ..hmmmmmmm

Here for the High Lord of Extra TallyT's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
    ..... We will all need to lay in vast stocks of popcorn and/or heartburn medication for that day...week...month....

Bona Fide Member

7 Not allowed!
    Is it going to be more or less a popularity contest?

Moonbear power Lunalovesskating's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rollerblade View Post
    Yes... so pointless

Tripping on the Podium colormyworld240's Avatar

21 Not allowed!
    Best costume should be given to the designer and not the skater.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    And who is judging it? The audience? If so, expect most if not all of the recipients to be Canadian.

Medalist

2 Not allowed!
    Reminds me of the WWF/WWE Slammy Awards... which apparently have been discontinued according to wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slammy_Award

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Wow... that is the worst idea they could come up with.
    I know where the Most Valuable skater award goes to. ;-)

Rinkside

6 Not allowed!
    I'm both laughing and crying at the prospect of this disaster

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    And who is judging it? The audience? If so, expect most if not all of the recipients to be Canadian.
    Well, according to the article...
    A long list of candidates will be announced on December 1, 2019 and on-line voting will open, allowing the media, public and ISU Members to vote for their favorite candidates through a new on-line voting platform. On-line voting will be possible from December 1, 2019 to February 10, 2020.

Following the on-line vote, three nominees in each category will be selected and officially announced on March 10, 2020.

A star-studded Jury will determine the winner of each category and the winners will be revealed and presented with their Award on the occasion of ISU Skating Awards held on March 22, 2020.
    Soooo.....the public decides the nominees, while a 'jury' decides the actual winner.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I think I heard six judges, one from each of the GP countries? (“We had to start somewhere.”)

GS Supporter

1 Not allowed!
    The categories are all being judged by a jury.
    How do you judge best coach or most entertaining program? Is that based on most high scoring students or a program with the biggest audience reaction for example. I find it a little puzzling

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rollerblade View Post
    I think that question is rather along the same lines as:

Is water wet?

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Dammit! I was hoping for a pro-competition.
    Awards ceremonies are a BORE!
    But also--- Go get that MVP YUZU. Now and for the past 8 years I guess.

I actually want awards that will highlight lesser known skaters, and spread the love. This looks like it may cause more heat than light.
    Last edited by Interspectator; 10-26-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Rinkside

3 Not allowed!
    I think the general public will like that. ISU wants to improve ratings and popularity of the sport. So, it's not that bad.

Tripping on the Podium

2 Not allowed!
    I dont know how they're going to decide the winners. Will it be voted by the fans or a select panel. I can already see the the drama and conspiracy theories against ISU if someone wins Most Valuable Skater over a certain skater with comments like skater X practically invented figure skating and is the only skater keeping the sport alive. Such a pointless event.

On the Ice

5 Not allowed!
    Awards shows are long and boring. We are going to hear the same speeches again and again.

I don't like the idea to only invite medalists to skate at the gala. Non medalists love it when they are invited to the gala.

Skating fans already argued about many things.

Rinkside

8 Not allowed!
    No one asked for this, can they please take it back?

10 Not allowed!
    So this is their priority...?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast