All about stuffies! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All about stuffies!

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Someone threw a rat stuffie on the ice for Deniss Vasiljevs in the men’s short at Rostelecom earlier today. Now, it was a cute stuffie, mind you, dressed in shades and trenchcoat, but it was still a rat. I wasn’t sure that this was the kind of message you would want to send to your favorite skater :)

Deniss and Stephane seemed amused by it, though, and had it sitting up in the KnC with them.
Next year on the Eastern calendar will be the year of the Rat. In Moscow stores already invasion of glass, porcelain, plush rats

DenissVFan

Medalist
Someone threw a rat stuffie on the ice for Deniss Vasiljevs in the men’s short at Rostelecom earlier today. Now, it was a cute stuffie, mind you, dressed in shades and trenchcoat, but it was still a rat. I wasn’t sure that this was the kind of message you would want to send to your favorite skater :)

Deniss and Stephane seemed amused by it, though, and had it sitting up in the KnC with them.

Deniss clearly likes the rat, he even picked it up over more conventional plushies ;) + https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1195326640819187713

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For the Australian 4CC in 2021 (which I would like to go to even if Yuzu doesn't :sad21:) we must look out for koalas and kangaroos and the like on sale...

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
For the Australian 4CC in 2021 (which I would like to go to even if Yuzu doesn't :sad21:) we must look out for koalas and kangaroos and the like on sale...

Don't forget about crocodiles :dev2:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don't forget about crocodiles :dev2:

Shhh.... we don't want to scare the skaters away (the Aussie wildlife being what it is, luckily most of the terrifying ones don't come in cute plushies. Though spiders....)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nice article about "tossies" at the recent international adult skating competition in Lake Placid.

(This one is a new or new-ish article. Still can't remember :hopelessness: where I saw the older article that also was about "tossies" and adult skating.)

^^^You're welcome ice coverage! Also these were all from Walgreen's or Walmart at greatly reduced prices, post Valentine's Day. Some were as much as 80% off.

Thanks :thank:, good to know re Walgreen's. :cool: (No Walmart near me.)

I stumbled upon the cat/witch at CVS … and indeed, the 75% discount is what had me wondering whether it would be worthwhile to go back for additional ones.

And wombats! :luv17:

Shhh.... we don't want to scare the skaters away (the Aussie wildlife being what it is, luckily most of the terrifying ones don't come in cute plushies. Though spiders....)

LOL, CVS did have a plush Halloween spider on clearance, which I could not bring myself to buy even at the reduced price.
The body was sorta(?) cute, but the fuzzy black-and-orange-striped legs :eek: were giving me the creeps.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
No, they are given to staff at the rink if the skater does not come over to collect them. Flowers are not permitted to be thrown on the ice unless they are sealed shut completely. And some venues do not allow them at all.

It's not fun running over flower pieces (that cannot be seen well) with your skate blade.

I remember last year at the Challenge Cup when some people threw a bunch of real red roses on the ice but the bouquet wasn't sealed off. There were red petals every where in the corner they had thrown them. There was a very angry announcer warning them to not do such a thing ever again. Luckily red petals show up on the ice, so it was relatively easy to pick them up on time before the next skater. And I don't think these people meant any harm. But you see why rules on what one throws are in place. Please stick to safe stuff to throw.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I remember last year at the Challenge Cup when some people threw a bunch of real red roses on the ice but the bouquet wasn't sealed off. There were red petals every where in the corner they had thrown them. There was a very angry announcer warning them to not do such a thing ever again. Luckily red petals show up on the ice, so it was relatively easy to pick them up on time before the next skater. And I don't think these people meant any harm. But you see why rules on what one throws are in place. Please stick to safe stuff to throw.

I'm confused why you're telling me what to do with flowers? I was the one telling people not to do it because it's not safe being a skater (which I am) and flower debris being on the ice.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist

If I am not mistaken, the rat is Remy from the film Ratatouille, who is a great chef. Considering Deniss's off-ice talent (he also has a passion in the kitchen, especially cake-baking and he is quite good at it), I thought it was a clever choice.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I thought he really liked it. He said “I like cheese.” Not sure if he was referring to the rat, himself or both.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm confused why you're telling me what to do with flowers? I was the one telling people not to do it because it's not safe being a skater (which I am) and flower debris being on the ice.

Oh, sorry, that wasn't my intention at all. The post was not specifically targeted to anyone in particular. More a question of reading about this throwing of flowers and remembering something that happened, and wishing to share this memory. And my concluding remark should be interpreted as just that: a general warning not to do it. More of a confirmation of the danger than anything else. Certainly not to tell any specific poster anything!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For those who remember the promotional Smuckers stuffed strawberries of old, the former U.S. ice dancer Ellie Pogrebinsky still has one -- and today it is the subject of an Instastory mini-series showing her small dog Layla playing with (and energetically gnawing on) it. :laugh:
(The strawberry is almost the size of little Layla's head.)

As we patiently wait to see how long (very long?) it will take until competitions with spectators can be safely allowed, I also am wondering whether it ever will seem appropriate to toss gifts onto the ice again.

Although tossed gifts obviously are well intended, I am thinking that I would feel weird putting a skater into the position of touching anything (even wrapped in plastic) from an "anonymous" source like me.
Especially when an older person -- coach/parent/grandparent -- often would be helping later to hold a busy skater's assorted paraphernalia.

:(

ETA (on Aug 5):

Anecdotally, I see that one of the COVID-related restrictions for the U.S. club competition Skate Wilmington (scheduled for Sep 2020) is:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'll tell you what I hate - those wretched little small strawberries that Smuckers provide. It takes FOREVER to clear the ice. They're a little bigger than a golf ball and if a skater is popular there must be hundreds of them on the ice after a program. I've seen the flowers for sale at Nationals in both Boston and San Jose. I'm glad, however, that flowers have to be completely sealed. The petals could be a real hazard for skaters.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My most vivid memory of the stuffed strawberries was them bouncing around Gladiator Max after he "died" post-FS in 2015 :laugh: It looked so comical.

But if we want to talk about hazardous things - CARDS. For the love of all that is holy I have no idea what could possibly possess someone to think that throwing a flat, white or pale, difficult to see card onto the ice is a good idea. I can still Ivan Rhigini in my mind's eye, going for an absolute sixer in Boston because of some idiot throwing a card that effectively became invisible on the ice.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
My most vivid memory of the stuffed strawberries was them bouncing around Gladiator Max after he "died" post-FS in 2015 :laugh: It looked so comical.

But if we want to talk about hazardous things - CARDS. For the love of all that is holy I have no idea what could possibly possess someone to think that throwing a flat, white or pale, difficult to see card onto the ice is a good idea. I can still Ivan Rhigini in my mind's eye, going for an absolute sixer in Boston because of some idiot throwing a card that effectively became invisible on the ice.

Cards or confetti or any other hard to find object on the ice should be punishable by banishment from live competition. I was in Lake Placid for the famous SKAM with the dead flies (and occasionally live wasps) that ended up on the ice. Adam Rippon had to delay his program start because the judges wanted him to pick up the flies. That was a weird and wonderful and heartbreaking competition! The flies were just part of it. But I agree that stuffies will not be allowed for a while. Maybe forever. Hospitals and even Ronald McDonald Houses aren't going to accept those toys until it's proven that they can't transmit disease. And flowers were never a good idea. Maybe donation boxes for the charity of choice for your favorite skater would be safer and nicer. I could live without the Rain of Poohs, though they have become a fixture.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Cards or confetti or any other hard to find object on the ice should be punishable by banishment from live competition. I was in Lake Placid for the famous SKAM with the dead flies (and occasionally live wasps) that ended up on the ice. Adam Rippon had to delay his program start because the judges wanted him to pick up the flies. That was a weird and wonderful and heartbreaking competition! The flies were just part of it. But I agree that stuffies will not be allowed for a while. Maybe forever. Hospitals and even Ronald McDonald Houses aren't going to accept those toys until it's proven that they can't transmit disease. And flowers were never a good idea. Maybe donation boxes for the charity of choice for your favorite skater would be safer and nicer. I could live without the Rain of Poohs, though they have become a fixture.

There's a simple cure for that; just put them in quarantine for 3 days. If you're paranoid, go for 5 days. The virus doesn't multiply outside the body, and it doesn't last long/forever. Libraries are now accepting book returns, quarantining the books, putting them back on the shelves, and lending them out again.

The health problem would be with the sweepers ("flower girls") and athletes, while the objects are "fresh". For me, half the fun of throwing stuffies was trying to get a skater to pick one up. The other half was showing appreciation for skaters who weren't none or few objects tossed. The rain of Poohs was just ridiculous. The aisle next to us was filled with a long line of Pooh propellers. That brings up another potential health problem: people going slowly up and down the aisles, breathing on the people in nearby seats.

I do think object-throwing will be restricted for a while, as will audiences; that's assuming competitions are held at all.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Flowers were nice to get, but their petals or any other thing falling off of them was the worse and very dangerous if run over with a blade. Plus, it really messes up your blade. I'm glad they banned them.