VCR Alert Sunday | Golden Skate

VCR Alert Sunday

IDLERACER

Medalist
Exhibitions will air on ABC tomorrow from 10:30 to 12:30 AM if you live on the West Coast and from 1:30 to 3:30 PM if you live on the East Coast. Check your local listings if you live somewhere in between. :party:

I didn't stay in Portland for the exhibitions. I generally abhor them. I hope Kwan will not do that long hair pseudo sexy number and Sasha does not do yet another Juliet. Wherefore art thou, oh Romeo?

I am at a loss at what Johnny can do in the way of fluff entertainment. I'll have some interest to see. Tim will do Gershwin, and Evan has already entertained us via MGM. Do you think Michael will give us a number?

Maybe Katie and Garret can come up with some fun. I hope so. I've seen a lot of Belbin and Agosto, I would like to see if Manon and O'Mearer can up with an entertaining dance that's not over the top.

From previous experience at Nats, I think the TV version is the second half only so I am not sure if some of those talented Jr. Men, Jr. Pairs and Novice Ladies will be shown not to mention Bebe, Kimmie and Katy, Shaun Rogers, Evora and Ladwig.

You can tell, I would prefer not the obvious.

Joe

treeskater

Rinkside
My biggest worry is that this Nor'easter will knock out my power and I won't be able to tape the Exhibition! At least I have a tiny B&W battery powered tv that I had to use 4-5 years ago on a Sunday for viewing a skating competition - I sure hope I won't need it tomorrow.

Hartford CT

R.D.

Record Breaker
I've looked at pics of the exhibitions, and I don't really know if some people don't want to know, but just in case...SPOILER ALERT

...Judging by the pictures that people have taken of the exhibitions, looks like MK is going to do her new piece (You raise me up or something like that), and SC will stick with her Romeo and Juliet piece.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think that Weir did his "Imagine" program last year. He used this for COI as well. It's quite lovely. I doubt he'll turn (harder) rock 'n roll for the exhibitions this year.

mpal2

Final Flight
For those who would like to be spoiled on Weir's exhibition, move on.

SPOILER

Weir is skating to Unchained Melody.

mpal2

Final Flight
And got interrupted on the East Coast for a special news announcement that could have waited for a regular news broadcast or an entertainment news show.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
..........and once again figure skating takes a back seat to the "special report" feature of a television station. Kim Meissner's skate was cut short due to a special report concerning the death of Johnny Carson. I can understand cutting into programming for World news, disasters, the death of a World leader, tragedy involving hundreds and thousands of people, but not ten minutes worth of news on the death of a comedian during programming..........42

Lotta

On the Ice
show 42 said:
..........and once again figure skating takes a back seat to the "special report" feature of a television station. Kim Meissner's skate was cut short due to a special report concerning the death of Johnny Carson. I can understand cutting into programming for World news, disasters, the death of a World leader, tragedy involving hundreds and thousands of people, but not ten minutes worth of news on the death of a comedian during programming..........42

I agree with you. As much as Johnny Carson is popular with everyone, his death isn't worth being a "special report". Only a small percentage of a nation would care but not the whole who don't know much about him.

Johar

Medalist
As much as I like Carson, I wanted to see if Kimmie would do the Triple Axel again.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic or trivialize his death, but there's a time and place for everything........if a tornado is coming my way, I want to know about it. When a person works or goes to school all week, and settles down to watch a much anticipated program, it's disconcerting to have it interrupted by news that frankly can wait until the evening news. This is why I like watching cable instead.............42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johar said:
As much as I like Carson, I wanted to see if Kimmie would do the Triple Axel again.
I think she would have been crazy to try one in teh dark lighting they had going on. needless to say the program was very pretty without it...

I hate johnny's costumes, it was distracting for this program... jmho...

saw these all live, but it's nice to look back and remember!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Why the hell ABC would choose to do a big blurb on Johnny Carson like that is beyond me. They just gave the competition a huge commercial. I could understand if it were NBC, but it still would have gotten me angry. :mad: His first three wives all divorced him over issues of physical abuse, but you won't hear about any of that over the next few days. Just alot of tush kissing from Leno, Letterman, and even Jimmy Kimmel now that ABC has apparently decided to join in all the obsequiousness. :boohoo:

R.D.

Record Breaker
If it makes you feel any better, NBC also cut into their coverage of the National Auto Show to bring in this news (although they went back to regular programming before ABC did). Also, CBS broke in after the infomercial to break the news. So it wasn't just ABC.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
What would have been so bad about having a banner along the bottom of the screen announcing Carson's death, with a "details to follow after this broadcast," instead of a major interruption? Then they would have retained the viewers who cared after the broadcast.

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm also irritated that they showed so much fluff (some repeats) and replays of the long programs that we only go to see two of the 4th place finishers.

What exactly does Matt have to do to get any respect? I loved his exhibition and hoped that I would be able to have it on tape to watch over and over again. :mad:

ATW27

On the Ice
I, too, am disappointed that ABC choose to interupt the broadcast; I mean, I think Carson was a wonderfull entertainer and host, and was loved by millons, but couldn't they have at least saved the short little retrospective on his life for the 5:00 news? Hopefully it will be rebroadcast on ABC or ESPN. Was it only part of Kimmie's program that we lost? Seems like it wasn't time enough to fit something else in the time period, once you factor in how long commercial breaks are these days.
I did appreciate it that they showed highlights from Emily Hughes' free skate; sure wish we could have seen the whole thing. Also missed not seeing another of the novice or junior champions, since they usually in the past have shown the programs of two. Frankly, I really didn't see it neccessary to show part of Michelle's free skate again, since, by even Michelle's own admittion, it wasn't her best. I'm not bashing Michelle, mind you, a person I very much admire and appreciate; I just thought they could have used the time better. Oh well; I guess nationals really are a Kwan love fest, after all.

Andy W.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
ATW.........I agree. I would have preferred to see more of the skaters, the fourth and even fifth place skaters than the repeated fluff pieces..........42

show 42 said:
ATW.........I agree. I would have preferred to see more of the skaters, the fourth and even fifth place skaters than the repeated fluff pieces..........42

Me too. I am sure they had more in the mix but had to edit to fit the fluffs and sponsors. There were many American skaters with gobs of talent that probably didn't make the broadcast. We got standard Kwan and Cohen and Johnny zoned out somewhere. And there were the gold medal winners, ho hum. How did Tiffany and Mark squeeze into this? They were good though. I agree Show, it would have been so much better for the fans to see the fourth and fifth places. But when you think about it, this is not the sport of figure skating but the 'laurels' of figure skating in accordance with the great book of ABC, chapter 22, verse 11.

Joe