Dream Grand Prix Locations | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dream Grand Prix Locations

LadyB

Record Breaker
I’m from Edinburgh. Murryfield Ice Rink is nice in that post war 50s kind of way (edit: I just checked it was build in 1938?! TIL) but not GP nice. Not enough seats and not enough facilities. Ayr would be good, they have an awesome ice rink but it’s unfortunately in the middle of nowhere comparatively.

It would have been class, I love Edinburgh. Interesting fact, cheers!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Barcelona, Budapest, Strassbourg, anywhere in Ireland, England, or Scotland, Berlin, Helsinki.

Adding -- laughing about the high-altitude places like Cuzco. Our Cuzco hotel had oxygen tanks in the lobby for guests. Probably not a good place for a skating event. :laugh:

Nobody actually suggested Cuzco. I just threw it out as being worse, much worse, than Mexico City.

Our Cuzco hotel was more low tech; instead of oxygen, they offered us coca tea and a team of people to carry our luggage up the many flights of stairs.

humbaba

Final Flight
Orlando, Florida, I totally get that. A month-long holiday there was not enough to do everything I wanted!
But, pray tell, what kind of amazingly brilliant famous touristy things does Branson, Missouri have going for it? :slink: I mean, other than, presumably, your house? ;-)

Branson is a family vacation Mecca. It initially became known as a center for country music and family oriented entertainers such as Andy Williams and the Osmonds. Over time, other attractions were added such as amusement parks and museums. Branson is located in the Ozark mountain range and there are state parks and many natural attractions to explore.

I agree with mrrice that Branson offers a wide range of entertainment options, many of which are very affordable.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Branson is not convenient at all for foreign skaters travelling to the US. Think about the athletes who have to travel from Russia, Japan, etc. and how they're going to get there. It's also very tacky in a hillbilly way. I mean, Vegas is tacky as well, but at least it's a proper city with plenty of connecting flights and lots of shopping/dining options.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I rather like this thread. I've learnt things about places I've never even heard of before, and that's just wonderful. To put in my own suggestions (which I acknowledge are also very Europe-centred):

I thought the audience in Milan was rather nice at 2018 Worlds, so maybe that's a nice location for a GP. Or Turin. Furthermore, Italy is one of those countries I can never see enough of...I visit at least thrice a year (once to Rome every year, a short trip to Tuscany, and usually a longer stay in summer, preferably with open air opera, perhaps Verona or Torre del Lago. I also love Naples and Sicily). Perhaps not so family minded in the sense of special children's things, but generally they are welcomed every where around, and indulged.

I also liked the audiences in Finland, at Worlds, at the GP of Helsinki last year, or at Finlandia Trophee.

There definitely has to be a GP in Russia (although I don't think anyone disputes that here). It would be lovely in St. Petersburg, but perhaps that already has been done often.

I would love to see one in one of the Mid European countries, whether it's Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Poland, or Slovenia. Bulgaria could also use a boost as it's been a while since one of their ID teams was successful. Romania also has some beautiful towns to visit.

Croatia is doing quite well with their GP 'B-final' at Golden Spin. Why not there?

Barcelona would also be lovely, but then so would Madrid or Valencia (I don't even know if there are rinks).

Let's not forget the wonderful set of countries to the East: Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania. I visited Riga in Latvia once (for work, but luckily with some time to spare) and it's a gorgeous city).

I also think Belgium would do well. Belgians have had quite some success on the International scene. If you pick Antwerp, chances are high there'll be quite a few Dutch visitors as well! However, despite being one of those Dutchies, I don't know whether there's a good rink!

Wouldn't mind one in the UK either. Such an event would provide me with opportunities to visit British friends as well. Wherever the event would be held, there's bound to be living someone at driving distance!

Of course I would love to see one in The Hague, The Netherlands. But I'm just happy we've got at least the Challenge Cup. Low priced tickets, and it's almost around the corner for me (5-10 minutes by car, 15 by bicycle).

Outside Europe, I suppose there should always be one both in Canada and the US. I'll go along with any of the suggestions made here. I just don't know enough to decide on specific locations (except for NYC which is fab. Ever been to the Cloisters? Kind of art heaven).

I think Japan should stay in for ever and ever. Those audiences are so generous. They are supportive when you're down, and any skater who does well gets cheered. Lovely!

I agree with some of the earlier posters that the audience at CoC wasn't that enthusiastic. Although they definitely had it in them when Han Yan skated! I found the S-Koreans rather subdued as well - except during Aljona's and Bruno's skate. So, I wouldn't know which one of these countries would be best. What about Taipeh? I realise there are problems, but they managed to organise FS events before quite well.

And of course Australia should have one. I'll let the Aussies agree on the preferred location!

Looking this over, I suggest we have 20 GP's, 2 GFP's and at least another 20 Challengers!

Manitou

Medalist
GP on a cruise ship?!! Oh yeah! But that would have to be a big one. Let me know which one and I'm already booking. And I say this - it would be more packed than many GP arenas on solid land.

pesto

On the Ice
London. O2 arena - though that is probably fanciful - it'd be fine for Worlds. I think SSE Wembley Arena is a bit smaller. Probably still too big for a GP, but possibly GPF? Both venues have hosted temporary rinks for ice shows, and, I think, hockey matches.

London gets big crowds for just about any sporting event.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Branson is not convenient at all for foreign skaters travelling to the US. Think about the athletes who have to travel from Russia, Japan, etc. and how they're going to get there. It's also very tacky in a hillbilly way. I mean, Vegas is tacky as well, but at least it's a proper city with plenty of connecting flights and lots of shopping/dining options.

How about Nashville. It also has a ton of things to do for the entire family and the cost of hotels and venues is cheaper than LA or New York.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Nashville. It also has a ton of things to do for the entire family and the cost of hotels and venues is cheaper than LA or New York.

Nashville will be the site of 2022 Nationals, Mrrice.

Book your trip now:agree:

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
Here’s my 2 cents (not worth much lol) but let’s keep Skate America, skate Canada, NHK trophy, and, rostelecom cup but switch Cup of China for South Korea, and maybe transfer Idf to Germany. After all, there was originally a German country hosting the GPF when Tara Lipinski won when she skated after Tanja Szwevcenko’s amazing performance in 1997/1998 before she won the Olympic gold. Lol.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
One can hope [emoji1317]

Terrible me...I forgot to mention Portugal. Both Lisbon and Porto are great. And, if you can make it, a day trip to Obidos is just incredible! And, obviously, Germany. Welcoming to visitors all around. Bavaria, anyone?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Like many here, i would keep Skate America, Skate Canada, Rostelecom and NHK as they are. I’d have the other two transform into Cup of Europe—rotating among the many fabulous European locations mentioned here—and Cup of Asia/Oceania, rotating among fabulous Asian locations outside Japan as well as Australia, etc.

I’d also want to expand the fields to eight per discipline, rather than six. I’d like to see more skaters qualify, after all the effort they put into competing! I also think it would be more interesting for the spectators.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I rather like this thread. I've learnt things about places I've never even heard of before, and that's just wonderful. To put in my own suggestions (which I acknowledge are also very Europe-centred):

I thought the audience in Milan was rather nice at 2018 Worlds, so maybe that's a nice location for a GP. Or Turin. Furthermore, Italy is one of those countries I can never see enough of...I visit at least thrice a year (once to Rome every year, a short trip to Tuscany, and usually a longer stay in summer, preferably with open air opera, perhaps Verona or Torre del Lago. I also love Naples and Sicily). Perhaps not so family minded in the sense of special children's things, but generally they are welcomed every where around, and indulged.

I also liked the audiences in Finland, at Worlds, at the GP of Helsinki last year, or at Finlandia Trophee.

There definitely has to be a GP in Russia (although I don't think anyone disputes that here). It would be lovely in St. Petersburg, but perhaps that already has been done often.

I would love to see one in one of the Mid European countries, whether it's Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Poland, or Slovenia. Bulgaria could also use a boost as it's been a while since one of their ID teams was successful. Romania also has some beautiful towns to visit.

Croatia is doing quite well with their GP 'B-final' at Golden Spin. Why not there?

Barcelona would also be lovely, but then so would Madrid or Valencia (I don't even know if there are rinks).

Let's not forget the wonderful set of countries to the East: Estonia, Latvia or Lithuania. I visited Riga in Latvia once (for work, but luckily with some time to spare) and it's a gorgeous city).

I also think Belgium would do well. Belgians have had quite some success on the International scene. If you pick Antwerp, chances are high there'll be quite a few Dutch visitors as well! However, despite being one of those Dutchies, I don't know whether there's a good rink!

Wouldn't mind one in the UK either. Such an event would provide me with opportunities to visit British friends as well. Wherever the event would be held, there's bound to be living someone at driving distance!

Of course I would love to see one in The Hague, The Netherlands. But I'm just happy we've got at least the Challenge Cup. Low priced tickets, and it's almost around the corner for me (5-10 minutes by car, 15 by bicycle).

Outside Europe, I suppose there should always be one both in Canada and the US. I'll go along with any of the suggestions made here. I just don't know enough to decide on specific locations (except for NYC which is fab. Ever been to the Cloisters? Kind of art heaven).

I think Japan should stay in for ever and ever. Those audiences are so generous. They are supportive when you're down, and any skater who does well gets cheered. Lovely!

I agree with some of the earlier posters that the audience at CoC wasn't that enthusiastic. Although they definitely had it in them when Han Yan skated! I found the S-Koreans rather subdued as well - except during Aljona's and Bruno's skate. So, I wouldn't know which one of these countries would be best. What about Taipeh? I realise there are problems, but they managed to organise FS events before quite well.

And of course Australia should have one. I'll let the Aussies agree on the preferred location!

Looking this over, I suggest we have 20 GP's, 2 GFP's and at least another 20 Challengers!

I LOVE the Cloisters. Though take the bus there. If you go by subway there's this monstrous hill to climb--though perhaps that's rather part of the experience, a kind of Chaucerian pilgramage. And besides the art, there are great views of the Palisades on the NJ side of the Hudson. And Fort Tryon Park, which is a kind of hidden in plain sight gem. And further downtown there's...

Well NYC is my home and I've been exploring it for years. You'll never be bored here. Broke maybe, but not bored!

Though 20 GPs, 2 GPFs and another 20 Challengers would be a helluva lot of PBPs type up! :handw: :jaw:

globalsoul

Rinkside
Give Cup of China to Korea. Just got back from Chongqing and I honestly don't wanna go to another event in China. Facial recognition cameras at the entrance to the rink, more security than spectators, just one idiotic inconvenience after another. You really gotta love skating to subject yourself to all the invasive nonsense. And the nationalistic "respect our rules" undertones are hard to miss...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The mall rink 10 minutes from my house :biggrin:

Funnily enough, I have long imagined how a rink could be added to my local leisure centre. (And there could even be the potential of adding a second temporary rink for big events, as the layout of the land means that the location would be suitable for having a 2-storied building, without it being a blot on the landscape).

Sure, there is a school currently located on part of the land that would be used, but it is all mobile classrooms anyway. They could easily be moved to some currently vacant land around the corner that is owned by the SELB (the local education board).

If the council had that piece of land (I don't actually know who owns it. It could be the fire brigade, as the land is behind the fire station), it wouldn't be too much bother to extend the existing hall to a size that a rink would fit in. Admittedly, the leisure centre would lose the smaller of it's 2 car parks, but that could be negated if the larger car park became multi-storied.

The problem is paying for it. Because a few years ago, our council merged with 2 neighbouring councils. And whereas our council was always good at keeping within it's budget, the other 2 councils had for years been spending money like it was going out of fashion and getting deep in debt. So, now that the 3 councils have merged, my town is suffering as we are the ones that are having to shoulder the concequences of the other 2 being so loose with money.

All of which means that there is no way my vision would ever happen. :disapp:

Anyway, I know fine well that even if we had great ice facilities, we wouldn't get any events anyway. Because, who would want to hold a big competition in rural East Tyrone when there are 2 suitable rinks in the main population centre of Northern Ireland, Belfast?! It would make more economic sense to hold a competition in the Odyssey Arena, and use the Dundonald Ice Bowl as a practice rink.

But, I can still dream.

CaroLiza_fan