Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva | Golden Skate

Classy skaters like Evgenia Medvedeva

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Just watched Medvedeva skate at home. Well done. But it was how she quieted the crowd when it was Mariah's turn on the ice....Now THAT'S CLASS!:thumbsup:
(BTW, I see PaulE on the Telly sitting in the front row dressed up in GS Yellow at Pacific Coast Sectionals sitting with my friends Andy, Ev, and Karin, so I MAY have to drive over tomorrow for Jr and Sr ladies Free. :devil:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just watched Medvedeva skate at home. Well done. But it was how she quieted the crowd when it was Mariah's turn on the ice....Now THAT'S CLASS!:thumbsup:
(BTW, I see PaulE on the Telly sitting in the front row dressed up in GS Yellow at Pacific Coast Sectionals sitting with my friends Andy, Ev, and Karin, so I MAY have to drive over tomorrow for Jr and Sr ladies Free. :devil:

Johnny Weir did the same for Plushy after his FS in Vancouver 2010 when the crowd was rowdy after his score. Which was very nice, considering how disappointed he must have been!

Non-skating example Alexei Nemov did it too at the 2004 Athens High Bar event. Man...was that crowd upset with his score, as was I! He was the only one who could calm everyone down so the next gymnast Paul Hamm could do his routine. I thought that was super classy because if I was him I'd have been boo-ing at the judges with the crowd.

withwings

On the Ice

I think, that Zenya simply repeated what Yuzuru Hanyu did at Skate Canada. He quieted the crowd before Nam's turn to skate. It was very touching and crowd responded instantly to Yuzu.
It does not take of course anything away from Evgenia- kudos to her.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I remember during the Men's FS at Worlds 2019, and Jason was the last skater waiting for his scores (after bombing the FS :( ) and the cameras kept moving from Jason in the K&C to film Nathan who would obviously be announced as the winner. And Nathan kept pointing and directing the camera back to Jason who hadn't received his score yet. I thought it was rude of the broadcasters to do that but a nice gesture from Nathan.

I think most skaters are classy people.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I think most skaters are classy people.

:agree: Scott and Tessa quieted the crowd (after their 2010 Vancouver FD, IIRC). Meryl and Charlie did too (but I can't remember when I am thinking of … was it after their [earlier] 2010 Vancouver FD as well?)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think, that Zenya simply repeated what Yuzuru Hanyu did at Skate Canada. He quieted the crowd before Nam's turn to skate. It was very touching and crowd responded instantly to Yuzu.
It does not take of course anything away from Evgenia- kudos to her.

Yuzu has been doing that for years, commentators noted it at different competitions. I was also touched (okay, it's not hard to make me mushy) at Yuzu and Nam's hug when they traded places on the ice in the freeskate, and also Yuzu taking a moment to thank the lady holding the boards open at the end of both programs.

And in reverse, Jason Brown - the last skater in the free at Sochi - caught on film waiting patiently while Yuzu was busy for a minute, just to have a moment to quickly, quietly congratulate him.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Keegan Messing applauding and hugging Elladj Balde as he came off the ice following his barnstorming final free skate at Canadian Nationals. Keegan is the absolute definition of good sportsmanship and a good teammate. :)

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
The medal mix up at IDF and Mariah Bell putting the gold around Alyona's neck and shaking her hand...
Both classy and hilarious

princessalica

Final Flight
I still love last years us nationals when Alysa was trying to figure out how to get on the podium since it was so tall and she was so tiny and Mariah and braise reached down and helped her up. I thought that was classy and cute.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you, all, for your stories. Yes, so many classy skaters...one even loaned their boots to a skater who had a broken one, IIRC. I like class. If someone were to beat another skater with their skate protectors, I would be very sad.....I abhore the violence I see in other sports, where someone would beat a competitor with their own helmet, or hockey stick, or brawl in general......I also hate the trash talk I see in other sports....but then, I am a dinasour...I hold business doors open for other people when I go though them.
Chris back home from Pac Coast Secs. (Good to see PaulE and the rest of the gang and an anyonymous forum member who likes to fly below the radar... :laugh2: YOU know who you are....

Weathergal

Medalist
Nice thread, CoyoteChris, especially with all the ugliness in sports sometimes.

I think Evgenia's gesture was quite classy, as were other gestures mentioned earlier.

Speaking of kindness and letting someone borrow equipment, how about someone lending Sasha Cohen their tights at the Olympics? I believe that was Fumie Suguri who did so.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nice thread, CoyoteChris, especially with all the ugliness in sports sometimes.

I think Evgenia's gesture was quite classy, as were other gestures mentioned earlier.

Speaking of kindness and letting someone borrow equipment, how about someone lending Sasha Cohen their tights at the Olympics? I believe that was Fumie Suguri who did so.

I read that, she would have been disqualified. That was so generous.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist

lumi99

Rinkside
Kiira Korpi wrote in her book that at the 2012 GPF she needed to buy tights but couldn't find a suitable pair in Sochi and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva loaned her a pair. I love hearing stories like these.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I remember that at 2017 NHK, Yuzuru’s sudden injury took him out of the competition. So Jason Brown took the time to write a message in Japanese meant for Yuzuru to show in the Kiss&Cry, with some help from Satoko. I thought that was a really nice gesture, and the audience applauded for him too.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Marissa Castelli letting Ashley Wagner borrow her black dress at Worlds in Boston.

A dress that went on to be very good luck. ;)

ETA: Most skaters are classy people.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Such lovely moments

For all the talk of rivalries, it is refreshing to see so much of the kindness and respect shown to each other too

MintGreen

On the Ice
Don't remember which year. At 4CC, Nam Nguyen picked up stuff animals left on ice for Han Yan, who just finished skating before Nam, and handed them over to Han, during his warmup, and Han bowed back to Nam. It was so cute.