`Question about CoP system and Zayak | Golden Skate

`Question about CoP system and Zayak

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Hi all,

Just a quick question.... did the Zayak rule get tossed out the window with the 6.0 system? I thought that it was still in effect, but if you look at Jeff Buttle's detailed results (link below), you will see he did two 3 axels and 2 doubles. One of the triples was in combination, but the other 3 axels were on their own, and there was no deduction for violating zayak.

Canuck

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns05/results/srmen_free.pdf

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Don't know. Most of the men were doing two tiple axels in their program. Anyway, Jeff' s program was head and shoulders above anyone elses' so okay by me!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Zayak only applies to triple jumps. That's how it was under 6.0, and that's how it is with CoP. Since he only did 2 triple axels, he is fine as Zayak doesn't concern doubles. His total number of "jumping passes" was 8, so that's still OK.

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Ty for your reply Ptichka,

Wow and I call myself a skating fan :laugh:

I always thought Zayak applied to ALL jumps regardless of revolutions. I always believed that you were only allowed 2 of the same jump and that one of them HAD to be in combination.

Canuck

S

SkateFan4Life

Ptichka said:
Zayak only applies to triple jumps. That's how it was under 6.0, and that's how it is with CoP. Since he only did 2 triple axels, he is fine as Zayak doesn't concern doubles. His total number of "jumping passes" was 8, so that's still OK.

The Zayak rule was instituted by the ISU after the 1982 World Championships, in which Elaine rebounded from 7th to 1st place with a seven-triple jump long program. The ISU was concerned that it would see a profusion of jumping beans and not artistic skaters. Actually, the problem wasn't so much that Elaine skated multiple triples, is was that she skated the same triples - four triple toes and three triple salchows. There were no triple flips, loops, lutzes, etc. With the ISU rule, a skater can perform any triple twice, but one of those times it must be in combination with another jump.