Smiling in a serious performance? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Smiling in a serious performance?

Amei

Record Breaker
Evgenia did break characters a little with her 9/11 program but it wasn't meant to be that way and I don't understand why people criticised her for it. A teenage girl skating a performance that could win her gold, I don't blame her for any lapse in focus on the interpretation. I think she did very well with it overall

Most criticism I saw had very little to do with her interpretation for that program but for the 'music' composition which used real sounds from 9/11 in it.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Most criticism I saw had very little to do with her interpretation for that program but for the 'music' composition which used real sounds from 9/11 in it.

Well it was about 9/11. I don't see how using such sounds made it somehow more "offensive". I personally know someone who lost a relative on 9/11 who loved Evgenia's program and rolled their eyes at those who criticized her for it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well it was about 9/11. I don't see how using such sounds made it somehow more "offensive". I personally know someone who lost a relative on 9/11 who loved Evgenia's program and rolled their eyes at those who criticized her for it.

And because of that one person, no one else had a right to be disturbed or offended by it?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That's interesting! I often wondered how people who'd been affected by 9/11 might feel about that program. The music was beautiful, but I thought the sound effects could bring on flashbacks for someone who'd been personally affected.

Nice to hear your friend liked the program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's interesting! I often wondered how people who'd been affected by 9/11 might feel about that program. The music was beautiful, but I thought the sound effects could bring on flashbacks for someone who'd been personally affected.

Nice to hear your friend liked the program.

Many people suffer from PTSD from 9/11. The sounds of it can indeed bring flashbacks. A friend of mine lives in downtown NYC and saw the people jumping off the buildings to avoid being burned. She has flashbacks. Different people have different triggers, some sights, some sounds, some smells.

And some people are not much bothered by the sufferings of others. They do not have flashbacks at all.
And so some people cannot understand why others have PTSD.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Personally i find very weird Satoko's smiling in her Schinder's List program.

I'd never associate that movie with hope, happiness, good vibes... a movie that better portrayed those sentiments while keeping the same setting was Life is Beautiful.

Not my favourite SL program i've to say or my favourite Miyahara's program. (that would be Madama Butterfly)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Many people suffer from PTSD from 9/11. The sounds of it can indeed bring flashbacks. A friend of mine lives in downtown NYC and saw the people jumping off the buildings to avoid being burned. She has flashbacks. Different people have different triggers, some sights, some sounds, some smells.

And some people are not much bothered by the sufferings of others. They do not have flashbacks at all.
And so some people cannot understand why others have PTSD.

Indeed, I should have added that in those sorts of situations it's better to err on the side of caution.

Beyond that, personally I was totally of the opinion Zhenya's program was fine without any background sounds, it was clearly about tragedy of some sort and it seemed totally unnecessary to include those sounds, doing so detracted from the program. :(

I was just relieved to hear that at least one person who had been affected by the loss of someone wasn't upset by the program, hopefully others felt the same, but again, it's impossible to know and it would have been better to be safe and steer clear of potentially upsetting sounds.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
And because of that one person, no one else had a right to be disturbed or offended by it?

I didn't say that.

A lot of those who criticised her for the program were people who were not even personally affected by 9/11. Just offering a different perspective.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW..has anyone skated to "Defying Gravity" (from Wicked) yet? Or would that be just a little too much like tempting fate?

Nancy Kerrigan skated to it as a pro. We saw her skate to the program live in a (fabulous) show that was a tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating (Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, December 2010).

Apart from Nancy, we have seen syncho teams skate to the song (@ a University of Delaware show).

randomfan

Record Breaker

I'd never associate that movie with hope, happiness, good vibes... a movie that better portrayed those sentiments while keeping the same setting was Life is Beautiful.

Doesn’t she only smile at the end though? :confused: I also think her smiling at all is kinda odd too, but from my observation she only does it for like 5% of the program.

gkelly

Record Breaker
BTW..has anyone skated to "Defying Gravity" (from Wicked) yet? Or would that be just a little too much like tempting fate?

Nancy Kerrigan skated to it as a pro. We saw her skate to the program live in a (fabulous) show that was a tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating (Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, December 2010).

Apart from Nancy, we have seen syncho teams skate to the song (@ a University of Delaware show).

Many young skaters in showcase programs at local competitions.

My response to the thread title was to recall Kristi Yamaguchi smiling broadly in a professional performance to "Heartbreak Hotel." Where was the heartbreak?

RobinA

On the Ice
Speaking specifically on the interpretation of "Hallelujah," it's a song that was originally written by Leonard Cohen. According to wikipedia:

So yes I do believe there are multiple interpretations of Hallelujah and "joyous" is certainly one of them. My personal interpretation of "cold and broken hallelujah" is finding the light within the darkness, hope in hard times.

If we are talking about other programs, I know it's been used to death but the first one that comes to mind is Hubbell and Donohue's version (which is coincidentally also done to k.d. lang's version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ooBnmjWk0

As far as interpretation, they're pretty happy and joyous to me (well Madison is a bit dramatic in the first few seconds but Zach is certainly happy throughout). This is actually one of my favorite programs of theirs simply because they're so happy.

So no, I don't think there is anything wrong with Mariah's interpretation. I love it in fact, it gives me so much joy to watch her and know that she absolutely loves what she's doing.

Now if we want to talk about Mariah branching out in other types of programs and expanding her range, well that's another topic.

Madison and Zach are definitely not suffering in that dance. I think people react to the sound of the music rather than the actual lyrics which, at least in the kd version, are somewhat at odds to my ear. Kinda reminds me of Springsteen (I'm a huge fan) being annoyed at the misinterpretation of Born in the USA. Well, ya wrote a foot-stomping, fist-pumping, rabble-rousing melody there Jocko, music is way more elemental than words. People will react to music before words.

My response to the thread title was to recall Kristi Yamaguchi smiling broadly in a professional performance to "Heartbreak Hotel." Where was the heartbreak?

She was probably winking and grinning at the Elvis schtick. "Well, since my baby left me, I found a new place to dwell.
"Down at the end of Lonely Street at Heartbreak Hotel." :rock: :laugh:

But the question is, was she all shook up?

Last edited:

I'd never associate that movie with hope ....

I have wondered if someone could do a take on this music that would project, if not hope at least faith: Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I didn't say that.

A lot of those who criticised her for the program were people who were not even personally affected by 9/11. Just offering a different perspective.

I can assure you that everyone in the United States was personally affected by 9/11. It changed our entire country, and not for the better.

Not surprising. Four of our most prominent cities were directly affected-New York City, Washington D.C., and also Boston and Los Angeles, where the most people on the planes came from. Everybody knows somebody who had affected friends, families, or acquaintenances. And we were all assaulted by repeats of seeing the planes crash for months on the news.

Also, people were closely affected in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut (where the smoke was visible 90 miles away for months and months), Pennsylvania (where one plane crashed), Maryland/Pentagon, and the surrounding Washington. D.C., area.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Just offering a different perspective.

I appreciate that you shared the perspective of a friend who lost a family member on 9/11.

I have been a resident of NYC for decades -- from long before 9/11 ... through the horrible day of 9/11 ... through long after 9/11 ... through the present. Unsettling and emotional memories of 9/11 frequently come to my mind.
I was fortunate to not lose a loved one, but my day-to-day life was profoundly changed for many months in the aftermath.
The attack continues to make me more cautious about certain things in ways that I never would have imagined pre-9/11.

I by no means would say that I am someone who is not much bothered by the sufferings of others.
For me, Medvedeva's program (including the sounds) evoked memories and sadness, but it did not offend me.
(ETA:
I too am just offering my perspective. Absolutely not saying that others are not entitled to their own perspectives.)​

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I can assure you that everyone in the United States was personally affected by 9/11. It changed our entire country, and not for the better.

Not surprising. Four of our most prominent cities were directly affected-New York City, Washington D.C., and also Boston and Los Angeles, where the most people on the planes came from. Everybody knows somebody who had affected friends, families, or acquaintenances. And we were all assaulted by repeats of seeing the planes crash for months on the news.

Also, people were closely affected in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut (where the smoke was visible 90 miles away for months and months), Pennsylvania (where one plane crashed), Maryland/Pentagon, and the surrounding Washington. D.C., area.

Personally as in directly, either as being involved in the emergency response to/witness/survivor or losing someone you knew, that's what I meant by personally.

I have family in NYC, my aunt who was right there in Lower Manhattan witnessed the plane strikes AND lost her husband in the collapse of the North Tower.

Sorry for the misunderstanding