Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: ISU Skating Awards

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    I think, that all the nominees are just random. And organizers already decided who can get the prize. All the rest are just extras

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ruga View Post
    I have seen that costume and the news of its nomination on a few mainstream social media sites. Many people are interpreting this as half nazi-half prisoner costume so it seems even worse than just insensitive use of symbols.

Also, I'm afraid that now figure skating will be considered more as a dress contest than serious sport. I wish ISU could abolish this nomination all together. It doesn't say anything about skaters' abilities. If at least the designer and/or tailor were mentioned, that'd make more sense. Not to mention that non-medal contenders probably don't have a chance win this award (I gave my vote to Eunsoo, but I'm 95% sure she will not get near to winning).
    I heard the idea that it was supposed to be a business man (i.e. the suit/Schindler) protecting/hiding/concealing the Jewish people. Slightly better than half and half... i mean i can process the idea at least.

Alyona Kostornaya - skating off into the unknown.. Edwin's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by StitchMonkey View Post
    I heard the idea that it was supposed to be a business man (i.e. the suit/Schindler) protecting/hiding/concealing the Jewish people. Slightly better than half and half... i mean i can process the idea at least.
    You can, I can, many of us FS fans can to some extent, but the general uneducated spectator w/o knowledge of European 20th century history cannot?

Choosing this kind of costume is already insensitive IMO, but ISU thoughtlessly nominating it even more. ISU isn't doing itself any favours by running shady, non transparent contests with only their pre-selected entries. And like some of us thing, pre-rigged in the outcome.

Tripping on the Podium Seven Sisters's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Well, if the ISU’s objective in developing its award show concept was to increase public awareness of, and interest in, skaters and skating, it has certainly succeeded! Everybody is talking about Mr. Shulepov and his costume now.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess...

Making rhinestone vest and tie combos cool anonymoose_au's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    I'm starting to feel sorry for Anton S, his costume was really, really stupid choice, but I'm pretty sure everyone who's read the articles hates him now and quite a few probably think he's a Nazi sympathiser! I can't imagine him ever living it down.

The ISU totally dropped the ball here, firstly by not strongly telling Anton S and his team that the costume was unacceptable (we'll leave aside the fact he should have known this) and secondly by allowing it to be nominated. Way to throw a guy under the bus. TBH, his skating career is probably over now.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose_au View Post
    I'm starting to feel sorry for Anton S, his costume was really, really stupid choice, but I'm pretty sure everyone who's read the articles hates him now and quite a few probably think he's a Nazi sympathiser! I can't imagine him ever living it down.

The ISU totally dropped the ball here, firstly by not strongly telling Anton S and his team that the costume was unacceptable (we'll leave aside the fact he should have known this) and secondly by allowing it to be nominated. Way to throw a guy under the bus. TBH, his skating career is probably over now.
    Yeah, it was ignorant on his part but ISU was also negligent. At least initially only hardcore FS knew about this costume but then ISU's decision drew more attention to it.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose_au View Post

I hope that is not the case.
    I do feel badly for all the backlash if he wasn't the one who chose the costume. Someone on his team really let him down here I think.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DenissVFan View Post
    Yeah, it was ignorant on his part but ISU was also negligent. At least initially only hardcore FS knew about this costume but then ISU's decision drew more attention to it.
    That's kinda the whole point. ISU's decision is not accidental nor a coincidence.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456