ISU Skating Awards | Page 4 | Golden Skate

ISU Skating Awards

On the issue of block voting from patriotic partisans, isn't that where VP's come in? You can pretend that you are casting your vote from Monaco and make it count more. :yes:

gold12345

Medalist
As if Worlds isn't entertaining enough without a popularity contest. If anything, it's a distraction which takes away from the actual objective sporting event.

The Nominations list feels random and unprofessional. The nominations aren't alphabetized, and Yuzuru Hanyu is buried last on the lists as if that's going to deter people from voting for him. He's obviously going to get the most votes (fan voting can also be easily manipulated), which renders this fan voting pointless.

Who decided on the random list of Nominations? What genius decided Sui/Han's SP should be nominated but not their FS for most entertaining program? Who put a controversial costume on the list? That gives a strong indication that very little thought was put into these lists, and they likely plucked a few selections from each major skating country and plopped them on the list to make it seem "fair". If you truly want fan input, then fans should be able to vote for ANY Grand Prix skater/program/costume, not just those that were seemingly picked out of a hat. Categories like Best Costume and Most Entertaining Program are enormously subjective, and there are several good selections that aren't on the list. It looks like little effort went into making the lists or the website.

It also doesn't make any sense to vote for end-of-the-year superlatives this early in the season. How does anyone truly pick a "Most Valuable Skater" without knowing how the season will unfold? Leave the silly voting and awards shows for the off-season. For a sport that's constantly having to prove itself as objective enough to be worthy of Olympic inclusion (especially ice dance), this whole thing feels off. It will be even worse if the awards show affects how many skaters get invited to the Gala. Skaters rely on that exhibition money to help them actually stay in the sport. And fans are there to see skaters, not people giving out awards based on who knows what.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
None of it makes any sense to me. I was indifferent when I first heard about it, but now seeing how random and slapshod everything is, I'm utterly turned off. Who decided who gets to be nominated? Why not just let people vote for whoever the heck they want, if you're going to have that many nominees (while still managing to omit plenty of skaters)? What happens if someone wins who doesn't even qualify to go to Worlds? If Ari wanted to do some kind of awards show on his own I would be happy to just ignore it, but tying it in with Worlds and the ISU leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
As if Worlds isn't entertaining enough without a popularity contest. If anything, it's a distraction which takes away from the actual objective sporting event.

The Nominations list feels random and unprofessional. The nominations aren't alphabetized, and Yuzuru Hanyu is buried last on the lists as if that's going to deter people from voting for him. He's obviously going to get the most votes (fan voting can also be easily manipulated), which renders this fan voting pointless.

Who decided on the random list of Nominations? What genius decided Sui/Han's SP should be nominated but not their FS for most entertaining program? Who put a controversial costume on the list? That gives a strong indication that very little thought was put into these lists, and they likely plucked a few selections from each major skating country and plopped them on the list to make it seem "fair". If you truly want fan input, then fans should be able to vote for ANY Grand Prix skater/program/costume, not just those that were seemingly plucked out of a hat. Categories like Best Costume and Most Entertaining Program are enormously subjective, and there are several good selections that aren't on the list. It looks like little effort went into making the lists or the website.

It also doesn't make any sense to vote for end-of-the-year superlatives this early in the season. How does anyone truly pick a "Most Valuable Skater" without knowing how the season will unfold? Leave the silly voting and awards shows for the off-season. For a sport that's constantly having to prove itself as objective enough to be worthy of Olympic inclusion (especially ice dance), this whole thing feels off. It will be even worse if the awards show affects how many skaters get invited to the Gala. Skaters rely on that exhibition money to help them actually stay in the sport. And fans are there to see skaters, not people giving out awards based on who knows what.

The nominations list is in alphabetical order by first name. There aren't exactly a whole lot of names that come after "Yuzuru" in the alphabet

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also I'm wondering what this "Golden Skate Awards" event (not to be confused with this forum) that Plushy and son, Carolina, WeaPo and others were at this weekend. Despite its name I can't find out who was awarded and for what.

Is it even an ISU thing? Questions abound. (Obviously this thing isn't advertised well...)

seabm7

Final Flight
Also I'm wondering what this "Golden Skate Awards" event (not to be confused with this forum) that Plushy and son, Carolina, WeaPo and others were at this weekend. Despite its name I can't find out who was awarded and for what.

Is it even an ISU thing? Questions abound. (Obviously this thing isn't advertised well...)

It has nothing to do with ISU. It's just an ice show. But they used to give a trophy to each performer.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
Just a thought after I read the list. With the revolution in ladies skating, now it becomes very difficult for world and olympic champions to qualify and simply go to worlds. (Alina, Evgenia, Elisaveta). Maybe that's a way to invite some of these skaters and give them an award so that the public (and sponsors) get to see them? Not such a bad idea, after all. These awards can make sure that some of the favorites will be there, regardless whether they qualified or not.

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
So all the nominees participated in GP. All the other skaters are not exist for this award :(

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
So all the nominees participated in GP. All the other skaters are not exist for this award :(

Fair and valid point !!

There were quite some excellent skaters left out of the Grand Prix finals.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
But it is? It appears the list is alphabetical by first name. The site is a mess to be honest. I had to register twice because the first one did not go through.

I only saw the SP being nominated but not the FS. I might be wrong, the site wasn't showing some entries and it kept on crashing every time I vote. LOL

chaser

Rinkside
Best Costume. Why? That’s like a contest between ice cream flavours.

Imagine having Best Costume on your CV? Gravitas not.

MalAssada

Medalist
I'd rather see awards like we have here. Best Lutz, Loop, Layback, Spiral, Twizzle, Step Sequence... It might actually make casual fans try to understand what element is what.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'd rather see awards like we have here. Best Lutz, Loop, Layback, Spiral, Twizzle, Step Sequence... It might actually make casual fans try to understand what element is what.

That sounds interesting...best quad of the ladies being Elizaveta's in practice (which of course doesn't count) or Alena''s Skating Skills. Excellent idea. Better than what the ISU put forward (I did vote though, couldn't help myself in entering).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We get it you only stan skaters from under the top 6

....Yes, because obviously the pro-Chen and pro-Hanyu camps aren't at all toxic and there's no chance of any blow-up arguments if either doesn't win and the whole top-six thing had everything to do with my argument.

What?

Meanwhile, ISU is shooting themselves in the foot over Shulepov's costume, I see.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The nominations list is in alphabetical order by first name. There aren't exactly a whole lot of names that come after "Yuzuru" in the alphabet

And don't worry, fans can find him no matter what...