Driver Cited in Fatal Crash (Re: Angela) | Golden Skate

Driver Cited in Fatal Crash (Re: Angela)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Freeway driving is not my cup of tea. I'm not that good at the constant lane changing that goes on...........42

Last edited:

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Taxi driver

Was this a case of a taxi driver showing stereotypical, driving-like-a-maniac, going-too-fast, being wreckless with other's lives, behavior?

We put our lives in the hands of the person behind the wheel, and this could have been any passenger(s). It is tragic so many are devastated by another's wreckless behavior.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
ChiSk8Fan, where did you get information about taxi? All articles have just been saying it's a van - nothing about a taxi.

As for criminal rexponsibility - please don't be so hasty. Being guitly of reckless driving and being criminally liable for the death are two different things. A hundred things could have happened. Saying "he could have been more careful, and that would have prevented the tragedy" unfortunately does not equate to "he is the one responsible for this death."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it technically was a taxi... it just wasn't the little car... but a big ugly colored green van...

and I guess it wasn't much more than just not being "as careful" but still if a hunter can be prosecuted for accidently shooting someone in the woods, why can't a taxi-cab/van driver be prosecuted for not being a careful driver? it's somewhat the same concept.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't understand how those things work but sounds like Angela's family and the driver of the other vehicle should sue the guy to me.

katherine2001

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
ChiSk8Fan, where did you get information about taxi? All articles have just been saying it's a van - nothing about a taxi.

As for criminal rexponsibility - please don't be so hasty. Being guitly of reckless driving and being criminally liable for the death are two different things. A hundred things could have happened. Saying "he could have been more careful, and that would have prevented the tragedy" unfortunately does not equate to "he is the one responsible for this death."

I agree that we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Even if he has been charged doesn't mean that he is guilty. The driver of the other vehicle could have been partly responsible for the accident for all we know. A person is innocent until proven guilty. We all have responsibilities when we get behind the wheel, and we don't know all the facts yet. Those won't come out until the trial.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Also, remember that he would have to be proven responsible beyond a reasonable doubt if he is criminally charged. If, OTOH, Angela and her family sue him, they have a much lower standard of proof.

LBC

On the Ice
This stuff happens all the time when people merge and then change lanes on freeways. We've seen it all happen. Same thing when you've got people deciding to exit and are 3 lanes over and come all the way across. They are all going so fast that the accidents can be fatal. From that description it sounds like the taxi driver merged and then went to the next lane over at the same time and didn't see the other car. The other car wasn't expecting the taxi to merge 2 lanes and ran into him. Angela's mom died instantly when her head hit the pavement. :cry: Not sure exactly sure if seatbelts would have helped as it sounds like the van turned over on its side and she may have been sitting where it hit the ground. They should have seatbelts in those airport shuttles though.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I did notice the windshield breakage on the front passenger side so someone hit the windshield very very hard. I just don't know who was sitting in the front passenger seat. My guess would be that whoever it was did not have a seatbelt on. Lots of things we don't know about this though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
true, it's not definite... but I guess I'm just seeing things way too black and white... which is why I am not studying law anytime soon... it's too discouraging...

I guess I just assume since he's been cited as a wreckless car driver that means he's ultimately teh one at fault for the crash :laugh:

The one thing about the accident is that at least her mom died instantly(or as close to instantly as possible)... she didn't suffer, and I guess her family can be thankful for that.

I am never taking one of those things from the airport... they all drive scary :eek:

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Portland News coverage

Ptichka said:
As for criminal rexponsibility - please don't be so hasty. Being guitly of reckless driving and being criminally liable for the death are two different things QUOTE)

The Portland news showed the vehicle constantly starting the next day. It was a lime green airport "limo".....technically a taxi, and so marked, a small to mid-sized van. The accident started with failure to merge. A smaller collision caused by the failure to merge led to the van to careen into the concrete barrier, and that caused the front tire to blow, and that caused the van to roll.......and that, as we all know, caused a tragic death. No one wore a seat belt. The road was clear, the sky was clear and blue, no wind, traffic was light to moderate at about 9:20 in the morning. This is my understanding from the news.